How to lose the weight

Options
Hey everyone I had a question in regards to calories and ounces. I burned 1000 calories today to enjoy a nice valentines dinner. With the 1000 calories I burned at the gym on the elliptical I will still be under my calorie deficit for today. But I found out that one ounce is 218 calories? I work out and stay under my calories but I'm curious how do I lose the weight. For instance I had my breakfast, lunch and dinner already and now have my dessert added in my diary already which is a parfai that I will be having later. I feel so and look so big right bow, so bloated and big in my shirt. It makes me feel uncomfortable and insecure. I don't wanna see that I gained 3-5lbs tonight if I was under my calories and I went to the gym. It's not fair to feel like this when I'm under. Sorry if this sounds silly but just don't want to mess up even if I'm under, I still feel big.

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    one meal is not going to make you fat.

enjoy your dinner.
  • JayZ1488
    JayZ1488 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If you have a large meal you may gain some temporary weight from water retention. This is not fat and you shouldn't let it bother you. Fluctuations in weight are totally normal, especially after a large meal.

That said, a 1000 calorie burn from the elliptical is a very large burn - it would take me almost 2 hours to get that. Where did you get that estimate?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing... 1000 calories burned from the elliptical?
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Must have been a long time on the elliptical. But if you weigh yourself you are going to see an increase in the number on the scale between today and tomorrow, if you worked out harder than normal there's probably going to be more water retention than normal. If it bothers you that much, don't get on the scale for a couple of days.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Ok so I can lose 2lbs a week if I do things perfectly, but I can fluctuate 10lbs or more a day just because of water or food and waste in my body..
    So after 4 weeks of perfect dieting, I might have burned 8lbs of fat but still weigh more than when I first started..
    Point is, disregard the scale and just eat at a moderate deficit for at least a month before you consider weight an kind of indicator.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    It would take me 4 hours on the elliptical to burn almost 1000 calories. I think you are way over estimating your calorie burn unless you are very overweight or really spent 4 hours on the elliptical.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    JayZ1488 wrote: »
    Hey everyone I had a question in regards to calories and ounces. I burned 1000 calories today to enjoy a nice valentines dinner. With the 1000 calories I burned at the gym on the elliptical I will still be under my calorie deficit for today. But I found out that one ounce is 218 calories? I work out and stay under my calories but I'm curious how do I lose the weight. For instance I had my breakfast, lunch and dinner already and now have my dessert added in my diary already which is a parfai that I will be having later. I feel so and look so big right bow, so bloated and big in my shirt. It makes me feel uncomfortable and insecure. I don't wanna see that I gained 3-5lbs tonight if I was under my calories and I went to the gym. It's not fair to feel like this when I'm under. Sorry if this sounds silly but just don't want to mess up even if I'm under, I still feel big.

I'm confused about the ounce question and what it has anything to do with anything. But yes, your math is correct: you have to have a deficit of 3500
    Calories to lose one pound. One pound equals 16 ounces. So I supposed yes you need a deficit of about 218 calories (3500/16) to lose one ounce. But why do you care about one ounce?
  • bogue1229
    bogue1229 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about enjoying a good meal. If you did a good work out and you do a good work out on a consistent bases then you will lose weight. The thing is this, if you deny yourself a good time you will never lose weight, losing weight is about a lifestyle change. It is learning to adjust your eating habit to the amount of exercise you do during the day. 90% of weight loss has to do with your eating habits and exercise helps to take it off and then maintain. When I eat out, I eat only half of my meal and save the rest, I share the desert... Enjoy Valentine's Day
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    If you have a large meal you may gain some temporary weight from water retention. This is not fat and you shouldn't let it bother you. Fluctuations in weight are totally normal, especially after a large meal.

That said, a 1000 calorie burn from the elliptical is a very large burn - it would take me almost 2 hours to get that. Where did you get that estimate?

I set the elliptical at the gym for my weight and I burn 1000 in an hour. It's not that many calories to bRn in an hour. Just have to keep it at a consistent pace.
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Must have been a long time on the elliptical. But if you weigh yourself you are going to see an increase in the number on the scale between today and tomorrow, if you worked out harder than normal there's probably going to be more water retention than normal. If it bothers you that much, don't get on the scale for a couple of days.
    AspenDan wrote: »
    Ok so I can lose 2lbs a week if I do things perfectly, but I can fluctuate 10lbs or more a day just because of water or food and waste in my body..
    So after 4 weeks of perfect dieting, I might have burned 8lbs of fat but still weigh more than when I first started..
    Point is, disregard the scale and just eat at a moderate deficit for at least a month before you consider weight an kind of indicator.
    janjunie wrote: »
    It would take me 4 hours on the elliptical to burn almost 1000 calories. I think you are way over estimating your calorie burn unless you are very overweight or really spent 4 hours on the elliptical.

I don't understand most of your posts. Have you never been on the elliptical for an hour. I'm a young healthy man, I set it for an hour and I burned 1000 and I believe the machines accuracy. 4 hours to lose 1000 calories is extremely log, you must be walking a very slow pace. I can burn 250 calories ever 15/20 mins depending my enwrgy and speed
  • JayZ1488
    Options
    bogue1229 wrote: »
    Don't beat yourself up about enjoying a good meal. If you did a good work out and you do a good work out on a consistent bases then you will lose weight. The thing is this, if you deny yourself a good time you will never lose weight, losing weight is about a lifestyle change. It is learning to adjust your eating habit to the amount of exercise you do during the day. 90% of weight loss has to do with your eating habits and exercise helps to take it off and then maintain. When I eat out, I eat only half of my meal and save the rest, I share the desert... Enjoy Valentine's Day
    jaga13 wrote: »

I'm confused about the ounce question and what it has anything to do with anything. But yes, your math is correct: you have to have a deficit of 3500
    Calories to lose one pound. One pound equals 16 ounces. So I supposed yes you need a deficit of about 218 calories (3500/16) to lose one ounce. But why do you care about one ounce?

I'm good with my deficit, as I've been on this diet for a while, I've been under my deficit for months even yesterday, valentines I was still under. My question is with the ounces. Let's just say I eat 2000 cal today and I burned let's say 600 cal. Technically I would've only in 1400 cal for the day but on the scale it could look like I gained 3 to 5 pounds. Like many people have said its water mostly but I get upset when I've been under and it says I've gained :/
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    AspenDan wrote: »

I don't understand most of your posts. Have you never been on the elliptical for an hour. I'm a young healthy man, I set it for an hour and I burned 1000 and I believe the machines accuracy. 4 hours to lose 1000 calories is extremely log, you must be walking a very slow pace. I can burn 250 calories ever 15/20 mins depending my enwrgy and speed

The on-machine calculators are notoriously inaccurate; that's what folks are trying to tell you.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

I set the elliptical at the gym for my weight and I burn 1000 in an hour. It's not that many calories to bRn in an hour. Just have to keep it at a consistent pace.

Don't trust the burn rate the machines tell you, they are way off.

As for the meal and feeling bloated, you ate a large meal, that doesn't just disappear after you chew.

The weight of it plus water has been added to you. Once your body has finished processing it it will pass out as waste.

You will not have gained weight if your calories in is less or the same as your calories out.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Did you go to valentines dinner? Did You eat a nice dinner? Did you weigh and is everything ok today with the scale?

I second and third the comments on the calorie burn output from the elliptical. If you used the highest level and highest incline for that hour, I might can see a higher output for the calories per hour. My husband uses it and the fitter he gets, the longer he has to spend on it to get a 1000 calorie burn. weird but true.

250 calories in 15 minute, wow..??
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Here's why: A recent study named the elliptical trainer the least accurate when it comes to calorie counting, with most machines overestimating your burn by 42 percent, says Jay Cardiello, SHAPE fitness editor-at-large and founder of the JCORE Accelerated Body Transformation System.

shape.com/fitness/cardio/how-inaccurate-are-calorie-counters-gym

You exercised...good. Don't stress over one big meal out.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

1000 calories in an hour actually is pretty high. High enough to alert that the machine calculation is inaccurate. I just ran some numbers and at my specs, going balls to the wall the entire hour (out of breath, unable to grab a drink of water, etc) I'd only burn 600-ish on an elliptical.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I hope you had an awesome dinner, and that you and the scale are still friends today. just keep moving forward :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    bogue1229 wrote: »
    jaga13 wrote: »

I'm good with my deficit, as I've been on this diet for a while, I've been under my deficit for months even yesterday, valentines I was still under. My question is with the ounces. Let's just say I eat 2000 cal today and I burned let's say 600 cal. Technically I would've only in 1400 cal for the day but on the scale it could look like I gained 3 to 5 pounds. Like many people have said its water mostly but I get upset when I've been under and it says I've gained :/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1
    Have a read of this thread to help you understand it more.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Do you think it is possible for you to have really gained 3 to 5 pounds if you are truly eating in a deficit?

If so, how do you think that happened?

If not, why are you letting what the scale reads upset you?

I am also confused as to exactly what your question is regarding ounces. In your first post, you state that you have a question about ounces, but the only question you ask is whether an ounce is equivalent to 218 calories. Since losing a pound of fat requires a calorie deficit of 3,500 calories, then losing an ounce of fat would require a deficit of about 1/16 of 3,500, or 219 calories. In this post, you state that you have a question about ounces, but then give a hypothetical situation about eating in a calorie deficit and the scale showing a gain of 3 to 5 pounds. What is your specific question regarding ounces?