Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    one of things i heard once that i would feel what i thought was the beginning of hope and happiness and would chase the feeling and was always disappointed. then one day i realized that it was hope and happiness.
    when i think about that i can appreciate the happiness and feeling better for what it is. appreciate the moment

and then there was this poem by ezra pound

erat hora

"Thank you, whatever comes.' And then she turned
    And, as the ray of sun on hanging flowers
    Fades when the wind hath lifted them aside,
    Went swiftly from me. Nay, whatever comes
    One hour was sunlit and the most high gods
    May not make boast of any better thing
    Than to have watched that hour as it passed. "

This says what I was thinking very well.

I'd like to add that you can think of your moods in MFP speak, they aren't linear. So what goes up will go down, but it will also go up again. So, if we expect it, maybe it won't feel so terminal since we know we're not static? Anyway, that's what I tell myself. "And this too will pass," and such.

Enjoy your up time!

I am currently in a down. I have two teenagers, so I live their ups and downs along with my own. This life has added a new dimension for me. I spent a lot more down time before they came along. They've taught me a lot about myself. What a ride!
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I am aware that the realities of having significant mood changes lead to a myriad of challenges in our every day lives. Problem-Solving becomes mini Mount Everests when we are attempting to climb with the weights of anxiety, depression, fear, sadness, grief, loss and past experiences which create doubt and uncertainty. I am sure that if other individuals walked a mile on our shoes, even the best walkers would find the journey cumbersome and even treacherous at times. I do not think I am making excuses. We are the solution to our challenges (with support and guidance) and we have to put one foot in front of the other and just keep moving forward. Let's spare a thought for our brain which is our best bet at moving us in the right direction, keeping us afloat and never shying away from the requirements of our lives. I admire our strength and courage and I know at the end of the day, it will all make sense. Take care folks and keep moving...and climbing.
    Shel
  • maddu87
    maddu87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggle with depression and anxiety. I have always been overweight and had accepted that for awhile. Until a month ago where I got really sick and realized that I was 28 yrs and I have been more sick and laid up in the last year than I had ever been. So I started working out. I looked at what I was eating, trigger foods that mess with imbalances, what workouts made me feel accomplished and gave up alcohol. Its been almost 3 weeks since I started working out and I full energized, less down than before and have lost 6lbs. I find that the difference between now and before is that before I wanted to lose weight to feel more attractive, but now I do it because I really want to live another 50-60 years. Happily
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a question for everyone (I hope this is an okay place to post it since it's about depression? Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. Feel free to ignore this. )

I've been feeling better late last night/today. It's almost scarier when I start to feel the depression lift a little because I'm scared it's going to come crashing back down again, if that makes sense.

Does anyone ever feel this way? Like you're depression for so much of the time that being slightly undepressed is more scary? If so how do you make sure you don't actually crash yourself back into depression just because you're not used to feeling slightly better?

Not thinking about your symptoms can be the best solution, just keep your mind busy with some work you like or different hobbies. This help me a lot to deal with my fears and depression. Try meditation and take proper antidepressants.
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    maddu87 wrote: »
    I struggle with depression and anxiety. I have always been overweight and had accepted that for awhile. Until a month ago where I got really sick and realized that I was 28 yrs and I have been more sick and laid up in the last year than I had ever been. So I started working out. I looked at what I was eating, trigger foods that mess with imbalances, what workouts made me feel accomplished and gave up alcohol. Its been almost 3 weeks since I started working out and I full energized, less down than before and have lost 6lbs. I find that the difference between now and before is that before I wanted to lose weight to feel more attractive, but now I do it because I really want to live another 50-60 years. Happily

That's great! I am so happy for you! Your bolded text made all the difference for me this time also. It's amazing what that little shift in thinking did for me. That's the goal. Little shifts. Keep up the good work!
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i have nothing inspiring to say, just wanted to let you all know i am still here, and fighting the good fight. just getting really tired.
    @moyer566 sorry about your new to you car.... but WOW you handled it so well! :)

i'm searching for a new med. there's not much i haven't tried except for the MAOI's. i'm running out of options and would consider ECT if it didn't freak out my husband. i tried to start jogging again but apparently i still have a muscle "imbalance". i'm tempted to force it though, because the physical pain isn't as bad as the emotional..... yet i also know that constant physical pain can also be depressing. there's a civil war between my mind and body.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @68myra oh trust me there was swearing and some tears, but the cops were so nice and my insurance is pretty wonderful. that makes it much easier. and that there was no damage to the other vehicle (jeep with steel bumper, i bent the license plate just a tad.)
    have you tried cymablta? it helped me from almost day one with both physical and emotional pain. I was not responding well to traditional medicines and I was put on lamyctal and cymbalta. and it's a pretty good combination. no zombies. a little tired but I'm less than 2 weeks in to cymbalta

I hope you find something that works for you
  • 68myra
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @68myra oh trust me there was swearing and some tears, but the cops were so nice and my insurance is pretty wonderful. that makes it much easier. and that there was no damage to the other vehicle (jeep with steel bumper, i bent the license plate just a tad.)
    have you tried cymablta? it helped me from almost day one with both physical and emotional pain. I was not responding well to traditional medicines and I was put on lamyctal and cymbalta. and it's a pretty good combination. no zombies. a little tired but I'm less than 2 weeks in to cymbalta

I hope you find something that works for you

yes, i tried cymbalta a couple years ago. right now i'm on brintellix, lamictal and adderall. the lamictal affects my memory too much. at 50mg it was just word recall.... at 100mg, someone could answer a question from me, and 15 min later i'm asking them the same one again. i dropped back to 50 mg a week ago to try to help my memory.... bad timing with PMS, i guess, because i just tanked.

i'm glad that cymbalta and lamictal are a good combination for you :)
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dearest Myra and others,
    How challenging to have tried so much...and still filling awful. None really know that depth of pain and anguish depression and anxiety create when they hijack our brain and run the show. Sure, we still make ourselves function and yes, we even problem solve but the joy, fun, motivation and meaning of even simple things are not available and we just feel crappy. And that is the "good news". The not so good news is that we wind down into the depths of despair that has to eventually impact on our families, friends, work, and community. Then we feel useless, a burden and the slippery slap into why bother and why am I here?
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that everything is temporary including moods and change is as inevitable as the seasons so looking ahead to feeling and being better has to be the force that pulls us into the next stage of our lives. We matter, we are worthwhile and we will manage. We can never forget our value to ourselves and our loved ones and make survival the aim during the awful times so that we can be around for the good times. Stay focused and watch this space. We are here for one another and together we can make it.
    Shel
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Dearest Myra and others,
    How challenging to have tried so much...and still filling awful. None really know that depth of pain and anguish depression and anxiety create when they hijack our brain and run the show. Sure, we still make ourselves function and yes, we even problem solve but the joy, fun, motivation and meaning of even simple things are not available and we just feel crappy. And that is the "good news". The not so good news is that we wind down into the depths of despair that has to eventually impact on our families, friends, work, and community. Then we feel useless, a burden and the slippery slap into why bother and why am I here?
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE remember that everything is temporary including moods and change is as inevitable as the seasons so looking ahead to feeling and being better has to be the force that pulls us into the next stage of our lives. We matter, we are worthwhile and we will manage. We can never forget our value to ourselves and our loved ones and make survival the aim during the awful times so that we can be around for the good times. Stay focused and watch this space. We are here for one another and together we can make it.
    Shel

Thanks for this. I really needed this.

Having to quit work for now to work on stuff has made me feel semi useless. And it's hard when even "fun" things like hanging out with my friends take too much effort and don't always help me feel better.

I want to be able to function again (aka work and semi enjoy things more)
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    ECT has ruined lots in my life. I got 8 ECTs in 3 weeks. Please try to avoid ECTs. I don't wish my life now, on anyone.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Having to quit work for now to work on stuff has made me feel semi useless. And it's hard when even "fun" things like hanging out with my friends take too much effort and don't always help me feel better.

I hear you on this. I haven't been able to hold down a job for the last year and a half and haven't worked at all in months and months. have you thought about doing a bit of volunteer work? totally understand if you don't feel like you can commit to it right now but it's something that helps me feel a bit less useless. I have a hard time dealing with even seeing friends too. I adore my best friend and think about her literally every day but it's SO hard for me to make plans with her or even text her. it makes me feel awful.
  • yourhiddengem
    edited February 2016
    Options

I hear you on this. I haven't been able to hold down a job for the last year and a half and haven't worked at all in months and months. have you thought about doing a bit of volunteer work? totally understand if you don't feel like you can commit to it right now but it's something that helps me feel a bit less useless. I have a hard time dealing with even seeing friends too. I adore my best friend and think about her literally every day but it's SO hard for me to make plans with her or even text her. it makes me feel awful.

I'm sorry you haven't been able to hold down a job. That's super rough. I totally feel you on that. Have you found volunteering has helped? I've had volunteer work suggested to me a lot but honestly if I was feeling well enough to volunteer I would just try to go back to my job (personally).

I've found that I have to make myself go hang out with my friends and text people or else I would totally be isolated and it would be worse. Maybe making yourself text her could help? (ignore this if its not helpful) It's rough though I totally feel you on the friend thing. Like I think about my friends ALL the time and yeah. Idk.

Why are things so hard? I have no idea. But I'm holding out hope that one day (or at least some days) things will be okay.

EDIT: sorry you totally said volunteer work helped you feel less useless. (Sorry I missed that) I'm really glad you found that!!!
  • 68myra
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    ECT has ruined lots in my life. I got 8 ECTs in 3 weeks. Please try to avoid ECTs. I don't wish my life now, on anyone.

thank you for sharing your personal experience. I will certainly keep that in mind.
    that's a beautiful flower, btw. it looks like plumeria.... i can almost smell it :)
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    I'm sorry you haven't been able to hold down a job. That's super rough. I totally feel you on that. Have you found volunteering has helped? I've had volunteer work suggested to me a lot but honestly if I was feeling well enough to volunteer I would just try to go back to my job (personally).

I've found that I have to make myself go hang out with my friends and text people or else I would totally be isolated and it would be worse. Maybe making yourself text her could help? (ignore this if its not helpful) It's rough though I totally feel you on the friend thing. Like I think about my friends ALL the time and yeah. Idk.

Why are things so hard? I have no idea. But I'm holding out hope that one day (or at least some days) things will be okay.

EDIT: sorry you totally said volunteer work helped you feel less useless. (Sorry I missed that) I'm really glad you found that!!!

I honestly don't mind that much. I was on EI for months which was easy to live off of and now I'm on income assistance and applying for disability. it's nice to not have to spend a bunch of hours a week at some meaningless stressful job. I quite like having lots of time to myself and going to the gym whenever I want and stuff. I only suggested voluteer work rather than a full time job because it's often only a commitment of literally a few hours a week, as opposed to 30-40 hours a week. I get feeling like you may as well just work though.

luckily I see my partner nearly every day so I'm not really isolated. and we have his 20 month old toddler several days a week which is fun for me. besides I'm very much an introvert and have come to legitimately enjoy time spent by myself in my older age.
  • 68myra
    Options
    Dearest Myra and others,
    Shel

Thanks for this. I really needed this.

I can't say which i truly enjoyed more..... Shel's heartfelt post.... or "yourhiddengem"s appreciation for it. :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I've had some really great experiences volunteering.

While I have had full-time, high-stress volunteer jobs, in general, volunteer positions aren't as many hours or stress as a paid position.

Since I'm currently working full time, my volunteer work these days mostly consists of a few hours here and there helping out others in need. For example, once per month I participate in making up lunches for the homeless. I do some volunteer work for my church.

Due to illness, I had to give up a job in 2000, and volunteering was a way to ease back in to the workforce.
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    I am not okay today. I can't even eat
  • yourhiddengem
    Options
    I am not okay today. I can't even eat

*hugs* I'm sorry
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @ObsidianMist on days like that, i like to get a good shake or malt. sorry u are having one of those days