Depression and Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    just a quick check in. I can't remember to keep insight and intention in my mind. maybe i need to tie a string around my finger. ;) on another note, i've had a recent self-realization. i'm always tense. like, always. I've been trying to foam roll some "adhesions" from lower body muscles and haven't had much success. no wonder! i don't know how to relax them. i don't suppose a dr. will prescribe a muscle relaxer for that ;) j/k i know i need to figure out how to do it by myself. baby steps.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dear Myra and all,
    Creating a space for Insight and intention to occur requires that we clear our minds in a deliberate and specific manner. When I am tense and stressed, the part of my brain that is activated is the area responsible for protection and defence and commonly regarded as the "fight" or "flight" control centre. Trying to look at life in a calm and reflective way is like swimming up Niagara Falls with weights on. No insight....No intention....just make the threat or the problem go away anyway possible.
    What I try and do....on a good day...is to practice some Mindfulness activities (meditation, relaxation exercises, listening to music, going to the gym or just walking in nature) and I try and get my brain to work more slowly and calmly. If this doesn't work, I seriously consider beating a path to someone I can talk to; normally a professional listener who can help me sort out what is bugging me. Not a perfect solution and I know that I have a long way to go. But, at least I can identify the difference between being effective in my decision making and being a lost person in the sea of despair and frustration. I have a sense that us "mood-disordered" folk aren't so different from the "normal" population. I think we may just be more honest with our challenges and difficulties. I would love to hear what others do and think. As always/
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Options
    Shel,
    Your thoughts make a lot of sense to me. After a busy weekend with my family, I crave going to yoga class on Monday morning! we always do at least ten minutes of mindfulness/meditation at the end of class. I'm learning, slowly but surely. I've also started something called "hanna somatics", using a DVD. My lower back immediately responds, which i find amazing (and i'm grateful)
    as far as being more honest..... i believe it might be more cognizant. Your last sentence reminded me of the adage: "ignorance is bliss"
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    hey everyone.

I'm new here and I've been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder. I've struggled with depression for as long as I can remember. I have other mental health issues too. I started going to the gym almost 7 months ago and just recently started using this site and getting really strict about my diet. it really does help. I take classes at my gym which means there's socialization involved too which is a big part of it for me, I spend a ton of time with my partner but aside from him I can be very isolated, I'm bad at maintaining friendships day to day and really like my alone time so yeah. glad to know there are others here who understand the struggle. anyone who would like to add me as a friend on here, please do. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    bumpasaurus.jpg
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Depression for me can last a day or a year or any amount of weeks in between. Each bout seems to be worse than the last, and I sometimes think that it will kill me in the end. When in such a state of mind, while everything is difficult, I do have to still keep going to work. Sure I can call in one personal day like once a month but really I must go to work 5 days a week for the next 30 years. So I have started to think about exercise like that, I must do it a few times a week, even if I feel *kitten* I just have to try, I can only skip a workout now and then. I cannot allow myself to slack off for months or years anymore. Like work its just something I have to do for the rest of my life. Having control of my eating habits is still inconsistent.
  • 68myra
    Options
    @kshama2001 HAHA, bumpasaurus.
    @Camarose79 I like the attitude you've adopted.... you gotta work... you gotta exercise. I"m still inconsistent with my eating as well, but i'll keep trying.
    @WJS_jeepster glad you are doing OK so far this year.... hope that keeps going!
    @ObsidianMist I have struggled with depression as long as i can remember as well. I'm glad to hear you have found a combination (exercise and diet) that helps you!

>waving hello to the rest of you. kids out of school today here in NC (we southerners don't "do" slick roads)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was just thinking that i don't have a choice in having the depression and anxiety but i do have a choice in how i deal with it.
    afe2be00675306a96700d1ffa1b18329.jpg
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Speaking from experience here: Weight loss is REALLY tough while you're battling depression.

To successfully lose weight, you need to feel like you're worth it. You need to have enough self-esteem to want to do this for yourself, and enough self-confidence to know that you can.

Depression is a double-whammy: It cuts away your self-esteem, and it cuts back on your desire or ability to do the things that could make you feel better -- including (and especially) seeking out help.

And depression lies to you, telling you that "if I could only lose the weight, I'd be happy". Wrong. It's the other way around: If you tackle the depression and get it under control, then it will be MUCH easier to lose weight or to do the million other things you want and need to do in life.

My advice to anyone who comes on here with this question is the same: Deal with the depression first. Then deal with the weight loss.

I cannot agree with this more! Especially the last part, of course it is easier said than done as if you struggle with body image issues the weight gain will be feeding the depression and negative thoughts.

First off, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with ongoing bouts of depression. I know from experience how debilitating it can be. Are you being treated for your depression? You may need therapy, medication or a combination to help lift your mood in order to get the energy and motivation to then be able to tackle the weight issues.

I think some of the most important things are keeping lists and a regular schedule, this can do wonders to help lift mood and even if it doesn't help at least when the down times eventually lift things are not such a mess. Being disciplined in having a good bedtime, sleep habits, wake time, eating at the same times every day etc can go along way. Sometimes when I am struggling with mood I feel comparable to a toddler if my routines go out of wack it disrupts everything even more! That would be my advice routine, routine, routine. Also being as organised as possible and utilising the times when your mood is not as low, when I am feeling good I make lots of healthy nutritious meals for the freezer, this way when my mood drops and I have zero energy and want to either not eat or go for for a "quick hit" I have an easy way to get good meals that don't take any effort.

Feel free to message me :smile:.

Some links regarding routine, our 'body clock' and its relation to depression and weight issues if you are interested:
    http://circres.ahajournals.org/content/106/3/447.full
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/body_clocks_and_weight_management_its_all_about_timing/

both these are great reads for me today.....thank you guys for this, everyone for this thread. whether it is just to come back to to know i am not alone or whether it is to see tips from people like myself that I haven't tried yet---it is truly amazing.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    People 's eating habits differ when they are depressed.
    When I had bouts of depression and anxiety I lose my appetite. A few years ago I lost 9 lbs because of it.
    I find that engaging in a hobby or taking a long walk helps
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    68myra wrote: »
    @ObsidianMist I have struggled with depression as long as i can remember as well. I'm glad to hear you have found a combination (exercise and diet) that helps you!

@68myra , the exercise and diet help minimal amounts. a couple years ago I finally got prescribed a medication that actually helps me, and I do a lot of work to find resources in my community that can help me. the combination of an appropriate medication and lots of different kinds of counselling/courses/support groups over the years, plus just the determination to improve my life and the way I treat myself and others in order to have a better, more peaceful life one day is the main thing. sleep, diet and exercise are kind of just the cherry on top that helps me feel okay from day today and that I'm making an effort to do something positive with my time since I can't work.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I found that I lost weight very easily when I was depressed and at the worst I have ever been. I also started insanity in this time, believing exercise would help me feel better about myself. I lost a lot of weight and was at my skinniest, but not happy. I didn't have much of an appetite, so was easy just to eat the 1200 calories without going overboard and wanting snacks or sweets. I finally saw a doctor, who said exercising alone at home won't help me feel better. I started taking anti-depressants. Two years later, I feel much better than before but my weight is nearly back to my starting point when I first tried to lose weight. I guess now I am much happy, I tend to eat more and go out more and eat then too.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Such wisdom in all of your shared experiences and approaches to managing weight loss and depression. It seems to be that how we make choices about our lifestyle (including what we eat) reflects our moods and in fact shows in a rather external way what may be going on in our minds. Hmmmm. Just had a thought. I wonder when I eat too much junk food am I losing discipline and focus in my thinking and allowing rubbish to cloud my judgement? Do I really think certain "foods" paves the way to comfort and feeling good? It is a bit silly me thinks. I am not saying moods are to be blamed! But we need to not feed them in unhealthy ways. Our bodies deserve to be treated well regardless of our disturbed and disturbing thoughts and feelings. Otherwise we are just operating on autopilot and relinquish control of the helm. Ok! So a healthy day tomorrow for each of us . Regardless of how we are thinking and feeling. Let's compare notes in 24 hours and see how we focus on healthy choices only.
    Good luck everyone!
    Shel
  • 68myra
    Options
    Shel: i just read your post. I'll have to focus on healthy choices on Sunday, 1/24/16. today's a wash.
    note to self: do NOT bake cookies tomorrow ;)
  • 68myra
    Options
    24 hour report: my focus on healthy choices was strong all morning and into the afternoon! It was my day off from walking (cardio) but i did a lot of stretching and did a very light weight workout. I made healthy food choices through dinner, but as the evening wore on (and the typical stressors added up), I ended up in front of tostitos and salsa con queso. (i relinquished control of the helm) so, i successfully resisted the sweet stuff, but fell for the salty, crunchy stuff. now, i'm not saying that an occasional chip and dip snack is bad for anyone! but this was a one day challenge and i personally do not consider that a healthy choice. (however, if it contributed to my football team winning, HAHA, I'd do it again during the Super Bowl!) HA!
    today is Monday, start of a new day, a new week. the sun is out, the ice is melting.... i've got a yoga class at 9am and one kid is in school after a three hour delay (that will give me 4 hours without sibling bickering!)
    LIFE IS GOOD! :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @68myra just make healthy cookies. I have a few recipes in a runner's cookbook
    yay for quiet

so glad seeing the new doctor on weds. (old doctor moved)
    i've been soooo angry and sad. just in the brain. I realized that the other day. it's like when I'm brain hungry. it's not really real
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    All the struggles that I have will never go away, no matter what changes I make. I will always need to manage my weight. I will always need to manage my depression.

I am at a good place in my life now. It only took me 48 years and I have a lot of living to catch up on. For the first time I feel like will be able to effectively manage both weight and depression, no matter what happens. For me, they feed upon each other.

One thing that has changed for me is that I am no longer able to sabotage myself by over eating junk food. Mostly because I no longer believe there is any such thing as "junk" food. If I want a piece of candy I eat it, not 12 because 12 pieces WILL bring the thoughts about what a horrible failure I am. One healthy meal, or one piece of candy or a cookie, or whatever your weakness, does bring about a hormonal response. First comes the dopamine that anticipates and then serotonin when the desire is satisfied. I pay close attention for the satisfaction and then stop. It can take a moment to feel it.

I still falter, but I forgive myself and move on. I dont blame food anymore, it was merely my weapon of choice. I had three beers with my sister on Friday. It was a blast. She is one person in my life who totally understands me. She lived through all the same things I did, simultaneously. That means so much to have that sounding board.

I have learned this way of thinking right here at MFP. Just reading about other people's struggles, and the very smart people that hang around here who give out no nonsense, science-based answers. This is a good place to be. I still have struggles. But every feeling I have is fleeting. I feel it until its gone. I don't let it take hold. I don't let it take charge. I give sincere thanks to everyone here and in my life.
  • 39flavours
    39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hullo all
    I've been battling depression and social anxiety for as long as I can remember and have in the past used prescription meds to help. I haven't had a lot of success with them, hating the initial horrendous side effects and then finding myself devoid of any emotion and not really caring about anything. One other side effect I found difficult to reconcile with was that I felt the meds slowed my metabolism and made weight loss very difficult. Has anyone else had this experience?

These days I'm very reclusive and find myself becoming increasingly awkward. I'm very inwards looking and am aware that my life is slipping by and I've made nothing of myself but am too fearful to take any risks. I'm struggling as a mother and rely far too much on my partner to meet my social and emotional needs.
    I'm doing ok with my eating but drinking too much at the weekends as escapism and not being able to motivate myself to exercise which I'm sure would help greatly.

I'd love to get some counseling so I can work through a lot of hang ups from my life and find a way to change my thinking but it's not financially possible for me. I have done some CBT on the nhs in the past but didn't find this at all helpful.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, it just helps to let it out sometimes.
    Xxx
  • ObsidianMist
    Options
    Hullo all
    I've been battling depression and social anxiety for as long as I can remember and have in the past used prescription meds to help. I haven't had a lot of success with them, hating the initial horrendous side effects and then finding myself devoid of any emotion and not really caring about anything. One other side effect I found difficult to reconcile with was that I felt the meds slowed my metabolism and made weight loss very difficult. Has anyone else had this experience?

These days I'm very reclusive and find myself becoming increasingly awkward. I'm very inwards looking and am aware that my life is slipping by and I've made nothing of myself but am too fearful to take any risks. I'm struggling as a mother and rely far too much on my partner to meet my social and emotional needs.
    I'm doing ok with my eating but drinking too much at the weekends as escapism and not being able to motivate myself to exercise which I'm sure would help greatly.

I'd love to get some counseling so I can work through a lot of hang ups from my life and find a way to change my thinking but it's not financially possible for me. I have done some CBT on the nhs in the past but didn't find this at all helpful.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, it just helps to let it out sometimes.
    Xxx

I went through lots of different meds, different types, before finally being prescribed one that works well for me with no negative side effects. so much trial and error. it sucks. the only downside to the one I'm on now is that it is notorious for causing weight gain, and I think it combined with losing my job and converting to a totally sedentary lifestyle is what caused me to put on 30 pounds over several months after weighing the same thing for years and years.

I also feel you on the feeling of your life passing you by and having made nothing of yourself. I try just use radical acceptance to be okay with the fact that where I am is where I am, it's just how it is, and I try not to dwell on it or feel bad about it. and I focus on the positives of where I am - lots of free time, being able to go to the gym whenever I want, basically being able to make my own schedule of whatever activities I want instead of running my life around someone else's schedule, getting to spend lots of time with my partner and his kid and also having lots of me time.

I struggled with drinking for a long time too. eventually I had to just quit for a while and then ease back into it and really watch how much I drank. eventually it got bad again though and now I don't really drink at all, aside from a glass of wine at dinner a couple times a month sort of thing. it's definitely hard to feel good enough to go out and exercise when you're hungover!

are you in a reasonably large town? there are probably some free or affordable resources out there you could take advantage of, it's just a matter of finding them. maybe talk to your GP, even a walk-in clinic doctor if you don't have a family doctor, or if your area has a local crisis line, call them and ask about resources. they are a wealth of information.

letting it out definitely helps! hope something I said was somewhat helpful, lol. you're always welcome to message me if you want to talk privately. :)
  • 68myra
    Options
    waving hello to all of you! i'm in a mini-slump, but it shall pass. it always does. grace and peace to you all, myra