Any bookworms out there?

Options

Replies

• cyapor55112016
    cyapor55112016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm into slavery in down south books like 12 years a slave, psychological thrillers, murder books, biographies, total fave trilogies like the mocking jay, gone girl, women behind bars I can go on and on I have a library lol
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    George R. R. Martin, Dean Koontz, Robert Jordan, John Saul, James Patterson... Some of my favorite authors. I have a library in my man-cave consisting of about 1200 books. I read most anything except romance (those aren't really books to me...) and non-fiction. It is tough for me to get through non-fiction books most of the time.

Currently reading Darkness by John Saul.
  • lcdreams
    lcdreams Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a bookworm. Love to keep books on my phone so I can read when I get a few moments. I love sci-fi fantasy - all creatures. Some romance and Amish stories. All time favs : the stand, LOTR, Harry Potter, rosamond pilcher, terry goodkind, and the agent Pendergast series and of course the Dresden files.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Definite bookworm here, although I haven't been reading as much lately as I would like. I mostly read fantasy, a little science fiction, and some mystery.
    Professional bookworm here (librarian). I mostly read genre fiction, especially fantasy and science fiction, as well as romance and mystery. Favorite authors include Patricia Briggs, Diane Duane, Jim Butcher, Nora Roberts/JD Robb, Kerry Greenwood, Lois Bujold, Laurie R. King, Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody!)... I could go on and on. I am also a geek: love Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Trek, Buffy, Forever Knight (I'm dating myself), etc.

Yay Amelia Peabody!! I have been thinking about that series a lot lately, so I may have to read it again once I finish LOTR.

My current favorite author is Mercedes Lackey. Some of my favorite series - Amelia Peabody, Wheel of Time, Death Gate Cycle, Five Hundred Kingdoms, Harry Potter, The Mage Wars, and Enchanted Forest Chronicles.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I am a bookworm although I don't have as much time to read as I'd like. I love Swan Song by Robert McCammon, Lucifer's Hammer, The Passage, The Stand, any kind of Zombie series, most postapocalyptic stuff, scifi, vampires (not so much the sparkling kind), werewolves, horror....suspense, thriller....I even like to read historical romance and chick lit when I don't have a lot of time. I do try to stay away from sad stuff though. Real life can be hard enough so I try to avoid sad and depressing books and movies.

@lauranorr
    Have you tried The Girl with All the Gifts? I think it would be right up your alley.

I'm a big sci-fi and fantasy fan. Goal is 42 books this year, two more than last year.
  • mikaiten
    mikaiten Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Huge book nerd here. Not only do I work in a bookstore, but I also have a book blog! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Amazon had a sample of The Girl with All the Gifts. It was the 1st 40 pages and I quite liked it. Been meaning to pick up the full book.
  • Mariya_Stewart
    Mariya_Stewart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also intend to read The Girl with All the Gifts. Now I'm reading The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History by Elizabeth Kolbert at home and Pines (Wayward Pines, #1) by Blake Crouch on the e-reader.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you like those Pines books? I read the first one but can't seem to get into the second.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    How is The Sixth Extinction? It was given to me as a gift, but I haven't had a chance to start it yet.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was also an English major in college as well.

Currently reading:
    All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
    House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

Some of my favorite authors: J.D. Salinger, Neil Gaiman, Flannery O'Connor, Jonathan Franzen, Tim O'Brien, Margaret Atwood, uhh basically anything.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bookworm here! How else do you cope with the world out there?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    While I don't have the time to read as much as I used to I still read at least a book every two weeks now. My tastes have changed and while I found fiction more interesting in my youth I find myself far more fascinated by historical journals. I just finished a home renovation and setting up a reading room in the loft. Encouraging my kids to be readers and finally getting the classics up on the shelves.

I just finished The Wilderness Hunter - Theodore Roosevelt, and starting to read Harry Potter with my son - we trade off reading pages to each other and the other kids settle in to listen.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was also an English major in college as well.

Currently reading:
    All The Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr
    House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski

Some of my favorite authors: J.D. Salinger, Neil Gaiman, Flannery O'Connor, Jonathan Franzen, Tim O'Brien, Margaret Atwood, uhh basically anything.

Thread bump.

Ugh, House of Leaves. 3 hours of my life I'll never get back. (I had to read it for school.)

Atwood fans would also like Irving. "The Fourth Hand," "The World According to Garp," "A Prayer for Owen Meany," etc.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    winklerkn wrote: »
    I'm a book nerd too/graduated English major! What kind of genres/authors do you read? I've also tried MFP a handful of times and never seemed to stick with it very well, but I recommitted a while back and just reached my 83rd day of consectuively logging my food and exercise! What are your goals?

Another book worm and graduate with a BA in English here :)

Welcome Op!

eta: just realized this was an old thread!
  • susanlynn228
    susanlynn228 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a retired Reading teacher, so I LOVE to read. I like to read a lot of different genres. I just rejoined MFP, too, and hopefully I will stay with it this time!
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's an old thread worth resurrecting? I'm a huge bookworm and writer. Currently reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's an old thread worth resurrecting? I'm a huge bookworm and writer. Currently reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz.

True, I just felt a bit silly welcoming the OP lol.
  • DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I realized that belatedly. Then I started a new post in Chit Chat called what are you reading. Maybe all the bookworms can congregate there.