Becoming Vegan

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    OP... as I posted earlier, I strongly suggest you read http://www.veganhealth.org/ and learn about micronutrient and mineral intake issues associated with a vegan diet. I see that you understand that you'll be deficient without proper planning, but the methods that you have posted as your means of coping, won't actually provide you the micronutrients you are looking for in several cases. Just an FYI as new vegan health issues can often take time to manifest, such as B12 issues which can take years. It'll be best for you to learn about them early and plan appropriately.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    OP... as I posted earlier, I strongly suggest you read http://www.veganhealth.org/ and learn about micronutrient and mineral intake issues associated with a vegan diet. I see that you understand that you'll be deficient without proper planning, but the methods that you have posted as your means of coping, won't actually provide you the micronutrients you are looking for in several cases. Just an FYI as new vegan health issues can often take time to manifest, such as B12 issues which can take years. It'll be best for you to learn about them early and plan appropriately.

Thank you very much. I'll admit that my 1st interest, was making a list of foods; that I currently consume & then seeking vegan alternatives (if they weren't already vegan). However my 1st priority should instead & thanks to you, currently is; making a list of nutrients/necessary levels & then seeking vegan foods, that're excellent sources; of them.
  • DaddieCat

Thank you very much. I'll admit that my 1st interest, was making a list of foods; that I currently consume & then seeking vegan alternatives (if they weren't already vegan). However my 1st priority should instead & thanks to you, currently is; making a list of nutrients/necessary levels & then seeking vegan foods, that're excellent sources; of them.

Awesome. The key, I've found, will be a blend of those two approaches until such a time comes (if it ever comes) that you don't think of substitutions any longer simply because you no longer need to substitute things to get the flavor profile or nutrients that you need/want.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016

Awesome. The key, I've found, will be a blend of those two approaches until such a time comes (if it ever comes) that you don't think of substitutions any longer simply because you no longer need to substitute things to get the flavor profile or nutrients that you need/want.

I am certain that it'll be possible, otherwise I wouldn't be transitioning into this lifestyle. Especially since becoming a Vegan (for me), doesn't just involve food consumption because of the health benefits but also the environment & animals. For instance I have to find another type of bubble bath because while the type that I use, states that it isn't tested on animals; it's made from milk. My main inhibitor is my location, so dining out; is problematic. However thanks to internet shopping, it's definitely feasible; to acquire everything else.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

The website @BecomingBane recommended is really good. I also recommend "Vegan for Life" by Jim Norris and Virginia Messina, it's by two vegan RDs who really know their science.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    There is a complete protein counter book it's pretty handy it tells you all the nutrients in thousands of foods. It's pretty interesting.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member

I have started making smoothies in the morning with Vega powder. It's vegan and has a bunch of good things in it. Plus, if you use almond milk(like I do) each cup has 50% of your B12 and 45% Vit D needs.
  • MondayJune22nd2015

The website @BecomingBane recommended is really good. I also recommend "Vegan for Life" by Jim Norris and Virginia Messina, it's by two vegan RDs who really know their science.

Thank you very much, this is why it's so important for me to ask; instead of just Google because there's a lot junk science floating around. This makes me feel like I am in college but thanks to all of you, I'm not sifting through agendas (colleges); to find what's correct. So all of your help, is making this process to educate myself; twice as fast & easy!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    There is a complete protein counter book it's pretty handy it tells you all the nutrients in thousands of foods. It's pretty interesting.

Thank you, it's like a dictionary; great resource!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    Melmo1988 wrote: »

I have started making smoothies in the morning with Vega powder. It's vegan and has a bunch of good things in it. Plus, if you use almond milk(like I do) each cup has 50% of your B12 and 45% Vit D needs.

This is great news because after reading about B 12, I was concerned about how I was going to get enough of it; without relying on supplements & I hadn't sought the nutritional information, from my milk substitutions yet because I'd like most of my food intake, to be fresh produce; so I was searching those prior but I love soy & almond milk, coconut milk is watery (to me) & I haven't tried cashew milk yet. Consuming a cup of soy or almond milk a day, is definitely; doable for me!
  • janejellyroll

This is great news because after reading about B 12, I was concerned about how I was going to get enough of it; without relying on supplements & I hadn't sought the nutritional information, from my milk substitutions yet because I'd like most of my food intake, to be fresh produce; so I was searching those prior but I love soy & almond milk, coconut milk is watery (to me) & I haven't tried cashew milk yet. Consuming a cup of soy or almond milk a day, is definitely; doable for me!

The B12 in plant milks is there because it is fortified with it -- there is no difference between that and supplementation. If you prefer fortified foods, that's fine (lots of vegans eat them), but there is no reason not to "rely on supplements." Supplements can be a cheap and easy way to ensure you're getting the B12 that you need.
  • DaddieCat
    edited February 2016
    In my case, I need (per doctor's instructions) to rely on B12 and D supplements. For me, even with adequate planning, and I've gone over this with dietitian, I must supplement both of those daily. Due to poor educatoin and planning in my early years, I was left with a B12 deficiency (since corrected) and a D deficiency (requires constant monitoring).

I simply cannot eat enough dietary sources of vitD to balance my needs. I supplement 10,000IU on odd days and 15,000IU on even days. I know it seems like a lot, and it really is, but it's what I need to maintain normal levels of vitD... and this is in addition to eating fortified foods and foods high in D.

Part of my problem is that I'm an indoor kinda guy and work in a cube farm, so little natural sunlight during the day, and the sun is barely up before I leave and on its way down when I'm headed home.
  • MondayJune22nd2015

The B12 in plant milks is there because it is fortified with it -- there is no difference between that and supplementation. If you prefer fortified foods, that's fine (lots of vegans eat them), but there is no reason not to "rely on supplements." Supplements can be a cheap and easy way to ensure you're getting the B12 that you need.

I understand, I meant without taking a separate supplement beyond food; such as a pill. Unless of course, I have to.
  • janejellyroll

I understand, I meant without taking a separate supplement beyond food; such as a pill. Unless of course, I have to.

Cool -- didn't mean to come across as condescending. I've met lots of people who didn't know that B12 in plant milk was there due to fortification, so that is why I pointed it out. :)
  • lisamarie337
    lisamarie337 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm not a strict vegan like I used to be. But when I was I started off trying all kinds of new things. At first you might not live the taste of Vegan mock meats but try different brands. Eventually I started to love so many foods that I never thought I'd like before. I go to pinterest to find vegan recipes. Also I make my own seitan. For me it was taking baby steps that got me to be a full true vegan. Unfortunately even though I love vegan cheese I still like real cheese and some dairy products from time to time. Having a family of 5 I live on a budget as well and have managed to do it well. In fact maybe even cheaper. Compare prices and you'll be amazed. Your gonna spend the same price if not cheaper for vegan meats. Check out aldis and trader joes if you have them near you. At a local health food store or whole foods you can buy lots of stuff like grains and nuts in the bulk section. Just fill them in little baggies. When I get home I store them in mason jars. Somethings are pricier like vegan butters and cheeses but they are healthier for you. Good luck with your transition :)
  • janejellyroll
    I'm not a strict vegan like I used to be. But when I was I started off trying all kinds of new things. At first you might not live the taste of Vegan mock meats but try different brands. Eventually I started to love so many foods that I never thought I'd like before. I go to pinterest to find vegan recipes. Also I make my own seitan. For me it was taking baby steps that got me to be a full true vegan. Unfortunately even though I love vegan cheese I still like real cheese and some dairy products from time to time. Having a family of 5 I live on a budget as well and have managed to do it well. In fact maybe even cheaper. Compare prices and you'll be amazed. Your gonna spend the same price if not cheaper for vegan meats. Check out aldis and trader joes if you have them near you. At a local health food store or whole foods you can buy lots of stuff like grains and nuts in the bulk section. Just fill them in little baggies. When I get home I store them in mason jars. Somethings are pricier like vegan butters and cheeses but they are healthier for you. Good luck with your transition :)

I haven't compared vegan cheeses head-to-head, but every vegan butter I've seen has a similar macro and calorie count to regular butter.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    In my case, I need (per doctor's instructions) to rely on B12 and D supplements. For me, even with adequate planning, and I've gone over this with dietitian, I must supplement both of those daily. Due to poor educatoin and planning in my early years, I was left with a B12 deficiency (since corrected) and a D deficiency (requires constant monitoring).

I simply cannot eat enough dietary sources of vitD to balance my needs. I supplement 10,000IU on odd days and 15,000IU on even days. I know it seems like a lot, and it really is, but it's what I need to maintain normal levels of vitD... and this is in addition to eating fortified foods and foods high in D.

Part of my problem is that I'm an indoor kinda guy and work in a cube farm, so little natural sunlight during the day, and the sun is barely up before I leave and on its way down when I'm headed home.

I have a grocery store, that offers access to a Dietitian for free. I met with 1 of them twice before, through a free program; that brought her to my apartment complex but I'll definitely meet with 1 again at the store this time, if she isn't scheduled to come to where I reside; next month. I don't have access to much sunlight either, 1 because my disability CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) keeps me home; most of the time & 2 my building only receives approximately 4 hours of sunlight, so even growing some of my own vegetables; is impossible.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    edited February 2016

Cool -- didn't mean to come across as condescending. I've met lots of people who didn't know that B12 in plant milk was there due to fortification, so that is why I pointed it out. :)

Oh no you didn't, your awesome; I very much appreciate all of your help! I've read enough of your posts, to know that; your trustworthy & accept others, even if their lifestyle choices; don't coincide with your own. <3
  • janejellyroll

Oh no you didn't, your awesome; I very much appreciate all of your help! I've read enough of your posts, to know that; your trustworthy & accept others, even if their lifestyle choices; don't coincide with your own. <3

Aw, thank you. Good luck with your transition. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out.
  • MondayJune22nd2015

I had tried Eggplant Parmesan & it tasted like a Chicken or Veal Parmesan'd taste. So I believe that eggplant, is a great substitute; for chicken & I only ate veal, as Veal Parmesan. I am very lucky that I have a produce store, within walking distance; a half of a mile each way. I can buy a large honeydew for $4.00, whereas my grocery store; charges $6.00. I bought a crate of 30 clementines for only $3.00. With all of the great advice I am receiving, this is going to be quite easy; thank you!