edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't get cramps, but if I did, I would be all over these yoga poses:

Yoga for your period

Reclining bound angle pose
    yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period-supta.jpg

Supported child's pose
    yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period-supported-childs-pose.jpg

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/997371/yoga-to-help-ease-your-menstrual-period
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I barely make it through ovulation and my period without going complete whack job. My exercise routine is the one thing that keeps me happy and on track.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It depends on the month, so I just go with my body is asking for. Sometimes that's rest, sometimes it's exercise, sometimes it's more calories, sometimes it's the normal amount I've been eating.

I haven't taken medicine for my cramps since I was a teenager, I just suffer through it or use a heating pad. I don't like taking medicine unless it's a prescription or cold medicine. I just don't like taking medicine and that crap is freaking expensive. Plus, I never have it on hand and I'm not leaving the house to go get it.

OP, only you know what your body needs, so listen to it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I only really have 1 day where I feel like crap. I take a rest day. I still log my food and watch my calorie intake and sodium.
    The rest of the week I feel comfortable walking for exercise.

You'll be okay if you don't exercise much for 1 week. Just don't eat everything in the house at the same time. Eat at your maintenance level that week. Have some dark chocolate. Take a pain reliever. Take some vitamins.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There's 1 day of hell then 6 days of "hahahahaha you're tired and bloated". I usually just take it slower. Try to stay away from sugar because it makes my cramps even worse. I enjoy lifting so I still do it, but if I start feeling bad I'll listen to my body. Sometimes it's nice to get the blood moving, and it's also a good distraction.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 days during my totm where I feel like actual hell. On those days I don't work out, it's not even a big deal to me. By the 3rd day of my cycle I feel good enough to work out again.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    Kairalie wrote: »
    All women out there know what I am talking about, the feeling inside. The bloating, the internal and external cramps from hell, the cravings, and the utter need to curl up into a ball and die.
    I don't want to work out, it hurts. Is there any tips or tricks or even some small thing that you ladies used to get through this horrific week of torture while still staying on course?

For me, I've noticed that the more active I am (It seems particularly the week before my period), the less cramps I have experienced and when I do have them, they are less intense.

As far as handling the hunger/cravings (I don't always experience this but did this month), I'm pretty strict with myself because otherwise I would be eating the entire contents of the fridge (and pantry) and for me, it just isn't something I want to allow myself to do. I think there was a similar thread posted on this subject where women stated they gave themselves maintenance calories for the time they needed it during their period so there is always that option.

I agree with what others have said, listen to your body and do what is best for you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I don't get it as badly as I did in my teenage years. Near fainting, overwhelming nausea, hot flushes and cramp so bad I couldn't move. Was even tested for PCOS it was so bad. Only every second month, apparently just one ovary hated me! If that was still the case you couldn't have paid me to workout.

As it goes, today is peak symptom day. So some cramping, craving and tiredness. I've eaten a little over maintenance and it was already a scheduled rest day so have taken it easy. Back to normal tomorrow!
  • pchca
    pchca Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to work out, just make sure you keep your calorie intake below your BMR. That works for me for those first two days.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's taken me over a year to work this out. For the few days leading up to day one I have a lot of energy, want to eat tonnes, have mood swings and suffer from head rushes. I've learned in this run up to do cardio things like running and zumba, but avoid weight lifting and calisthenics because they leave me really dizzy. My day one I have too heavy a flow to do any major cardio so I'll go for a walk and do a pilates class if it's on. After that I go back to my normal class routines but usually do it at a lower impact for a couple of days and have to really push myself to get on with it! The biggest issue is I get the equivalent of morning sickness during my period. I'm still learning the foods that trigger it so it can make some of my classes...interesting. Luckily my gym instructors well enough that they no longer find it strange when I change what I'm doing to suit how I'm feeling. Then the rest of the month is fine. I'm lucky in that I don't get cramps otherwise I think foetal position is where I'd be!
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I actually started last night, and I knew this morning was going to be hell, and that I might not make it in. Like bexlaverty said, my first day or two are the absolute worse, and even though I genuinely do *want* to be in the gym right now, I can hardly walk to the bathroom without wanting to cry. I think it's okay to take the day off if you're in that much pain. I'm lifting really heavy right now, and the last thing I need is a crippling cramp mid-squat, or to tweak my already ache-prone lower back during good mornings. If it were an upper day, I might tough it out. I just plan to do some light stretching and take it easy. I'm also not logging today, because let's face it-- we get cravings. I know how to keep it under control, but I feel like if I log that Faygo soda, or chocolate bar, or extra piece of carrot cake roll, or whatever it is, I'll say "Well, I'm already going to go over. Not like it matters. Might as well eat all the things..."

Our bodies put us through some serious *kitten*, but the same can be said the other way around. I prefer to take a day or two to try and call truce... xD
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've recently come off the pill and am currently having my first real tom for 10 years. I originally planned to do a light bike ride today but considering how many times im needing to go to the toilet I've decided it's too dangerous! I will be doing house work instead today in my comfy clothes!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Two things: Tylenol, Tampons. Carry on with your day.