Ketosis?

Has anybody tried to do a cyclic ketosis diet? How did it go for you?

Replies

• ladymorevna
    ladymorevna Posts: 19 Member
    I haven't done cyclic, but am doing general ketogenic. Can you eloborate on cyclic?
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member
    I haven't done cyclic, but am doing general ketogenic. Can you eloborate on cyclic?
    From my research cyclic suggests that you prepare your body to go into ketosis for about 3 days, then reintroduce healthy carbs for a week or so and repeat. How is your weight loss?
  • ladymorevna
    ladymorevna Posts: 19 Member
    Hmmm interesting. I wonder how effective that would be. Please let me know if you try it and how it goes. My keto diet is the only thing that works for me really, although, it's slowing down as I lose weight and introduce exercise. I was losing about 1-1.5kg a week at the beginning and now it's down to 0.5-1kg (depending on how good I am). I'm going to introduce the lean gains intermittent fasting method and see how that goes too!
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    I do strict Ketogenics, and have studied it for a while.

Anybody who suggests "cyclical ketogenics" does not understand how the human body, or ketones, or hormones work.

Ketosis is a metabolic point in the human body where glycogen stores are reduced to a point that ketones are produced and used as energy. Ketones are produced from fat, usually the stored fat. After a period of time, you become keto-adapted (fat-adapated).

This period of time is 3-4 weeks. So for the benefits of ketogenics to actually occur, you have to eat under 30g of net carbs (carb g - fiber g) for that entire period. Once keto-adapted, any increase in carbohydrates will cause you to be pushed out of keto-adaptation, negating all the hard work you just did.

So doing "cyclical ketogenics" is about the dumbest way to go about doing low-carb. There are also no "healthy carbs", they all break down into sugar, which spikes insulin, which stops fat burning.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Nage3000 wrote: »

Anybody who suggests "cyclical ketogenics" does not understand how the human body, or ketones, or hormones work.

Ketosis is a metabolic point in the human body where glycogen stores are reduced to a point that ketones are produced and used as energy. Ketones are produced from fat, usually the stored fat. After a period of time, you become keto-adapted (fat-adapated).

This period of time is 3-4 weeks. So for the benefits of ketogenics to actually occur, you have to eat under 30g of net carbs (carb g - fiber g) for that entire period. Once keto-adapted, any increase in carbohydrates will cause you to be pushed out of keto-adaptation, negating all the hard work you just did.

So doing "cyclical ketogenics" is about the dumbest way to go about doing low-carb. There are also no "healthy carbs", they all break down into sugar, which spikes insulin, which stops fat burning.

Yes, this. There's no middle ground. I tried keto and couldn't stay with it, I was miserable. However, I do "carb cycling" which is different. I eat low carbs on rest days, and higher carbs on training days, and I also eat the bulk of my carbs late in the day and after workouts. I have never heard of "cyclic keto" and to be honest it sounds to me like it would be pretty ineffective.
  • taylorjgarner
    taylorjgarner Posts: 27 Member

Praise Jesus for people like you, the Internet is a rough place to find reputable information. So by strict do you mean that keto is your dietary lifestyle? It's not something you can do for a few months to lose quick weight?
  • jonathantrush
    jonathantrush Posts: 12 Member

I must disagree with one point. Depending on the person it does not take 3 to 4 weeks to start making keytones. 3 to 4 days maybe. Depends on your level of glycerin stored in your body and liver. Ive heard a average person is equivalent to 900grams of carbs. If you were like me healthy and only eating 200g of carbs a day and trained hard and had a physical job you would burn through that stored energy fast. Ive done ketosis for 8 months before and I'm doing it right now. Cycling carbs is wrong you need to stay strick on it. If you want to lose weight. Only time you may want carbs is when weight loss slows a meal of carbs like yams with your protein will help balance cortosol level (hormone that controls fat loss) it goes up with fat loss over time. It can signal to your body to lower the hormone levels.

Not all carbs are bad. Saying that is a rather uneducated remark. Yes carbs get converted to sugars your body uses. Carbs are the prefered fuel source for your body. They are not the enemy. Some people just need less than others to function well. Not all starchy carbs are the same. Oatmeal breaks down slower say than a bananna. If your focused on building muscle and eating after training carbs are good fast carbs like fruit and protein. In this.instance carbs are muscle sparing and help your body rebuild.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    People do carb cycling, most athletic people with a low body fat %. But for the normal everyday person it is even more unnecessary than keto cycling, which I can't see the point of at all..