Can't stop eating something when I wake up during the night

Options
13»

Replies

• MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't really control that I am hungry during the night, especially on days when I work out. But if I think I can control what I eat somewhat. What would be something that would not be terrible to eat if you just had to have something at that time?
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Pre-log what your "midnight snack" is so you can plan your day around it. Try drinking water instead of eating.
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel like I can't really control that I am hungry during the night, especially on days when I work out. But if I think I can control what I eat somewhat. What would be something that would not be terrible to eat if you just had to have something at that time?

Sometimes I will put my yogurt in the freezer earlier in the evening and then have it later when I have cravings for a dessert, and it does feel like you are having a frozen yogurt treat. I like strawberry best!
  • Wendy77685
    Wendy77685 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It sounds like maybe focusing on relaxing at night would be the answer, instead of trying not to eat, if the stress is what is causing you to eat. I read a lot at night and that keeps my brain and hands occupied.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I had 35 pounds to lose and eating in the middle of the night was/still is at times an issue for me. It's like I worked so hard during the day to restrict that I would finally let my guard down Once I went to bed so it was like I was safe to eat something. I almost would trick myself into believing in that sleepy groggy state that those calories didn't count. So I do a few things. One- I save a good portion of my calories for dinner and after dinner time. This works for me bc I need to be able to go to bed with some food on my stomach in order to sleep well. If I wake up super hungry, I will not be able to resist. Two- I keep something carbonated in the fridge to go to at night. Diet Sprite normally. And I just drink a little bit. But it gives me something to do when I wake up and it's a pleasing taste and it's cold and kind of wakes me up enough to be able to get a hold of myself and go back to sleep. Three- through trial and error I had to identify the foods in my house that were much to easy to go to in the middle of the night and I had to stop buying it. I know this is easier said than done. Good luck! It's like anything, it takes practice. Also another thing you can do to make your middle of the night eating kinda hurt a little bit mentally is logging it all the next morning. I hated seeing my night food there detracting from my daily calorie allotment.