How much/often do you exercise?

Options
vixtris
vixtris Posts: 688 Member
edited February 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hey everyone! I just entered maintenance last week. I've lost 90 lbs in the past 13 months, and a total of about 150 lbs from my highest weight. As I was losing weight, I exercised a lot, every day - cardio on the elliptical for 2+ hours, plus 1 lifting session a week. I felt working out for 2 hours every day was too stressful for me, so since starting maintenance I have reduced the cardio time to 1.5 hours/5 days a week, and 1 lifting session per week as well. So far, this has been working great for me, and it gives me 1,900 calories to work with on a daily average (after eating about 1,300-1,400 calories a day, that's a pretty generous amount for me!). But, I wonder if its too much exercise? It obviously is not nearly as much as I was doing before, but I don't want to seem obsessed. However, I feel really good after working out on the elliptical, and I do want to keep my fitness level at least the same, if not improve somehow (and I also want to eat more food!) I also may want to try new activities this spring/summer, like maybe swimming, biking, or hiking.

So, for those who are maintaining, how much/how long/how often do you exercise? What kind of exercise(s) do you do? What is your daily calorie intake for maintenance? Do you exercise solely to eat more food, or do you do it for other reasons as well? At what point do you think it becomes an obsession?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I exercise 7-14 times a week (30-120 minutes each day). I run, use the stationary bike, and do resistance training. My daily calorie intake is about 1,800-2,000 calories. I exercise because I love it. Racing is one of my hobbies, I love the activity and culture of running. It's a great stress reducer and I love what it does for my body. Eating more food is truly awesome too though, I won't lie.

I think exercise becomes an obsession when it isn't fun, when it feels compulsive, or when it's hurting you.

Do you *like* working out this much? It's okay to have fitness as a hobby and to make it a priority in your life. The key is -- are you choosing to do it? Is it adding joy?
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I do purposeful training 5x a week, and try to walk as much as is reasonable each day as well. I probably run for 2-2.5 hours a week, plus 1.5 hours of resistance training, a bit of cardio on the rower and elliptical, and maybe a half hour swim if I have time. That's not with the intention of just padding out my maintenance calorie intake (although that's a pleasant byproduct) but because I'm training for a half marathon. My maintenance calories at the moment are probably around 2,000-2,100 a day, averaged out over the week.

I would consider exercise an obsession if it regularly gets in the way of other meaningful activities in your life or becomes a source of stress and frustration for you. Liking to be active is a good thing; missing all social engagements and neglecting household chores totally in order to exercise 3 hours a day to hit some kind of self-imposed standard would be worrying.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Everyday; 15 minutes cardio (7mph on the treadmill) + 40-60 minutes heavy lifting (alternating upper and lower body daily) + 20 minutes intense stretching
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll Thanks for your reply! Well, its more of a love than a hate thing. I admit, some days I feel like "here I am, another day on the elliptical, yawn," but I'm sure everyone feels like that every now and then, right? When I'm working out, I get into it, my mind wonders, I have time to myself, jam to music, think about my day(s), new ideas, and such. I don't feel like I'm making myself do it, and some days I am actually eager to do it, just to feel the uplifted and energized feeling afterwards! But maybe that 'boring' feeling is more of a need for a new activity rather than exercise in general. However, I don't feel the same towards my lifting workout most days. I am just not really 'into' lifting, but I do it for the benefits (especially the squats :P). I don't want to lose muscle mass, so I dedicate at least an hour to doing basic exercises with average/light weights (between 30-50 lbs). So, to answer your question, I would say exercising brings me joy because it makes me feel good in body and mind, and to maintain my figure. I wouldn't say its the most fun thing to do, but it is enjoyable and I have a good time when I really get into it, and a good song is playing. :) It makes me feel much better then the opposite - where I was before - sedentary, fat, and miserable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    @janejellyroll Thanks for your reply! Well, its more of a love than a hate thing. I admit, some days I feel like "here I am, another day on the elliptical, yawn," but I'm sure everyone feels like that every now and then, right? When I'm working out, I get into it, my mind wonders, I have time to myself, jam to music, think about my day(s), new ideas, and such. I don't feel like I'm making myself do it, and some days I am actually eager to do it, just to feel the uplifted and energized feeling afterwards! But maybe that 'boring' feeling is more of a need for a new activity rather than exercise in general. However, I don't feel the same towards my lifting workout most days. I am just not really 'into' lifting, but I do it for the benefits (especially the squats :P). I don't want to lose muscle mass, so I dedicate at least an hour to doing basic exercises with average/light weights (between 30-50 lbs). So, to answer your question, I would say exercising brings me joy because it makes me feel good in body and mind, and to maintain my figure. I wouldn't say its the most fun thing to do, but it is enjoyable and I have a good time when I really get into it, and a good song is playing. :) It makes me feel much better then the opposite - where I was before - sedentary, fat, and miserable.

I get what you're saying. I don't bound out of bed every morning to work out. I might not want to do it some days but I'm choosing to do it because I know I will feel better afterwards or I know that it's part of my training plan for an upcoming race or whatever. The point is that it's overall something that brings me joy, it isn't part of a compulsion. Not that every minute of every workout is joyful -- there are individual moments that are boring or even awful (hill repeats!).

I actually hate resistance training -- I do it just because I know it is super-beneficial.

Based on what you've written here, it sounds like you're in a good place. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Exercise nearly every day. Mostly alternate days strength and cardio.

In the winter I seem to average about 3,500 cals a week - that's a handy number. :smiley:
    In the summer when I'm out cycling much more then it's likely 6,000+ cals but can be a lot more.

I'm fortunate that I actively enjoy my exercise so it's a joy not a chore. Even when it's "just training" I enjoy the feeling of accomplishing something that progresses me towards my goals.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Every day- 40-45 minutes of walking
    T/Th 25 minutes of Kettlebells
    Sat- 35 Minute HIIT plus warmup and cool down
    Sun- Run and/or intervals 3-5 miles

Planning on upping the running as soon as the weather is nice enough for it to be more fun
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I sometimes feel like kind of a weirdo here. I 'exercised' regularly while I was obese, and kept doing it during the weight loss process, perhaps with a tiny bit more consistency (in order to earn extra calories for special occasions, for example), but no dramatic change.

I put 'exercise' in quotes because (mostly) I don't feeling like I'm "doing exercise"; I'm doing something I consider fun that happens to involve vigorous activity: I'm a rower. Because I'm a rower, I'm more likely to do other activities (especially in the off-season) in order to stay strong for rowing and get better at it. (As an aside, it kinda blows me away when people here say things like "do you do cardio"? What is that? Um, no. I row.)

As a rower (sometimes competitive), I've spent a dozen years or so with a number of pretty serious athletes in my social circle: Rowers, cyclists, triathletes, and more. In that world, a schedule like yours is pretty routine, maybe even lighter than some, and I don't consider them obsessed. They're doing what they do because they find it fun, and it makes them happy, makes them feel good - a positive hobby, if you will.

So, post cranky sermon ;-) , I'll answer your questions: In contrast to more-serious athlete friends, I consider myself a bit desultory in the "exercise" department.

Last week, I logged a little under 6 hours of what MFP considers cardiovascular exercise (rowing machine, 2 spin classes, weight training, core exercises), plus just under 2.5 hours of yoga/stretching (which I don't log as cardio in MFP).

Like you, I'm just entering maintenance (lost 60+ pounds, about 1/3 of my bodyweight). Right now, I'm eating at 1700 net, and suspect I may have more calories to add - something between zero & 200 daily. Last week, my MFP cardiovascular exercise calories amounted to an average of just a bit over 200 more per day. So, I think my average TDEE is somewhere around 1900-2100 (in winter, anyway). I'm 5'5", 122-ish pounds, 60 years old, retired, on the sedentary side outside of the logged activities.

Like others who've commented, I don't consider exercise an obsession unless it interferes with things that arguably ought to be more important, such as adequate attention to family, life-maintenance chores, employment, etc.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Love exercise. I walk and cycle everywhere. No car. No tv.
    I cycle to work 2/3 x week 1 hour.
    Swim 1/2 x week
    Run 2 x week
    Yoga 1/2 x week
    Weights 2 x 45 mins per week.

More cycling in summer!

I also have a time turner like Hermione in Harry Potter!
  • DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    Lift 2-3 times per week :P sometimes zero ^^. I also walk 240 minutes per week I really don't care about the extra calories since it's not much..I maintain 1750-2200 minimum... I don't exercise to eat more food.. : 0
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    6 times a week here... I'd say 75 minutes in average... burn probably 425-450 a session in average, but I'm going to have to cut the intensity some because my legs are just not recovering properly and are sore all the time. I usually alternate between incline walking (11%+), stationary bike, rowing, and weights (either free weights or machines).
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Exercise nearly every day. Mostly alternate days strength and cardio.

In the winter I seem to average about 3,500 cals a week - that's a handy number. :smiley:
    In the summer when I'm out cycling much more then it's likely 6,000+ cals but can be a lot more.

I'm fortunate that I actively enjoy my exercise so it's a joy not a chore. Even when it's "just training" I enjoy the feeling of accomplishing something that progresses me towards my goals.

Same here.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I do at least an hour of cardio 5x a week, alternating stair climbing, the bike and elliptical. Most of those times, I will do intervals. 2 of the 5x a week, I also work with a trainer on weights. Because I have ulcerative colitis, I typically carry some overall body inflammation so I have to have someone prodding me along and also ensuring that I use proper form. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it at all or I could hurt myself.

That leaves me with two "rest" days which is a relative term. I still make sure I get my 10,000 steps in and stay moving!
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    3x, sometimes 4x a week.
  • truelight_photo_craig
    Options
    I've lost 110 pounds, and continue to exercise, maybe even more than I used to, because it's easier to do without the extra "padding". I spend at least 60 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Walking/running 6 days a week, resistance training 2 days, and HIIT once a week.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Looking at my fitbit I average about 90 Active minutes per day. Some is deliberate exercise the rest is just being up and moving around.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to exercise. I watch my caloric intake by logging the food I consume. I have been losing weight since I started this experiment. Keep your calories in check and you can lose/maintain your weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    rhtexasgal wrote: »
    I do at least an hour of cardio 5x a week, alternating stair climbing, the bike and elliptical. Most of those times, I will do intervals. 2 of the 5x a week, I also work with a trainer on weights. Because I have ulcerative colitis, I typically carry some overall body inflammation so I have to have someone prodding me along and also ensuring that I use proper form. Otherwise, I wouldn't do it at all or I could hurt myself.

That leaves me with two "rest" days which is a relative term. I still make sure I get my 10,000 steps in and stay moving!

I have Crohn's and lift heavy 3x a week. No cardio allowed as I have no appetite and the exhaustion is really bad.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I exercise 4-5 times most weeks, and 6-7 times during school holidays (I'm a teacher). I try to vary what I do so I don't get bored of it. I do a lot of circuits classes, and they're different each day. Yesterday for example I did a core class followed by HIIT and both were using kettlebells, but that won't be the case every week. Today it was a core class with no equipment except mats. Sunday classes are endurance, Fri is boxercise etc. I'm also a gym member (I can't do circuits every week as I have 3 kids and my husband works shifts) so I do PT sessions there, spinning sometimes, and just use the gym machines other times. I also go for a run sometimes.

I usually get 10,000 steps a day anyway as I'm on my feet all day for my job, and I run round after my kids (ages 6, 4 and 21 months).

I really enjoy exercise and I'd do it every day if I could, but I don't think I could if I were doing the same old stuff every single time.
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day but Sunday; Sunday is always my day of rest. I mainly do cardio at the gym but I have the Body Gym to use at home and I LOVE that thing! It's all resistance and my body has completely transformed. Good Luck!