Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

are carbs really the enmy

Options

Replies

• exum235
    exum235 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Do these guys look like your enemies?
    introBen.png
    PJ-BG232_FIXDEC_DV_20120328174202.jpg

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:
    musclepharm-combat-protein.jpg
    Clearly protein is the enemy. >:)

@senecarr You forgot one. :)

l5at63lkua84.jpg

No, she's not just carbs, she's sugar syrup, and sugar definitely is the debil.

Fake maple syrup is the debil[/quotquiteake sugar in general= liver confusion of what to do with that stuff
  • exum235
    exum235 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Fake sugar in general=liver confusion it doesn't know what to do woth that stuff
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    exum235 wrote: »
    Fake sugar in general=liver confusion it doesn't know what to do woth that stuff

I did not know my liver had a little brain in it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting conversation/topic. We recently went low carb and while it is a challenge we are seeing some benefits to it. Along with weight loss we are eating less because we are satisfied longer. Cutting out breads and pastas along with sugars also helps prevent a lot of unhealthy snacking. We haven't cut out beer yet but that is coming soon to see what kind of impact we have.

From an energy standpoint the first two weeks were rough, but once my body got used to finding other fuel sources (fat) my energy level has come back and seems to be even better. The gym is our next step to helping with a complete life change.

Everything in moderation is exactly right as everyone has stated. We choose to stay away from "white" foods in hopes of eating healthier. I am going to stay going low carb because I do need to lose a ton of weight, but also feel it is a lifestyle change we can stick with. And once we are on maintenance we can indulge in the occasional carb loading day of tasty pasta.

Cheers everyone!

But carbs do not only encompass breads, pastas, and sugars. I feel like this mindset is way too prevalent in today's dieter. White sugar and processed bread is easy to overeat calories on. Whole-food carb sources (potatoes, rice, quinoa, legumes, etc) are a different story. Cutting out white sugars and breads isn't a bad thing, but just because the processed side of carbs don't work the best in your diet doesn't mean going low-carb and cutting whole-food carb sources out along with them is the answer.

This is true.

Similarly, while I respect that what the poster is doing works for him, I am puzzled by the notion that cutting out pasta prevents "unhealthy" snacking. I don't know how one would even snack on pasta. For me pasta is part of a dinner (including homemade sauce or topping involving lean protein and lots and lots of vegetables). Even if I wanted to snack on it (and I might, although I don't snack, so wouldn't), it's not likely to be hanging out in my office break room or something I could go pick up easily at the store (well, I guess I can get pasta salad at the deli counter, but I don't think of that as something to do or a snack).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Uhm... no. Your body does not get confused by artificial sweeteners, of which, by the way, there are a lot of different ones that work differently.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Do these guys look like your enemies?
    introBen.png
    PJ-BG232_FIXDEC_DV_20120328174202.jpg

Now the guys on protein shakes, they look more like your enemies, they even say combat:
    musclepharm-combat-protein.jpg
    Clearly protein is the enemy. >:)

@senecarr You forgot one. :)

l5at63lkua84.jpg

No, she's not just carbs, she's sugar syrup, and sugar definitely is the debil.

Fake maple syrup is the debil
    quiteake sugar in general= liver confusion of what to do with that stuff
    The liver is confused about what do with sugar? That seems about as plausible as my feet becoming confused about what to do with ground.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

4853ce63d34e23c6b8da6c4d6c6eeadc.jpg

Your liver does not have it's own central nervous system and it doesn't get 'confused'
  • CarolinaLoserro
    CarolinaLoserro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy here! The way you intake, the quantity you receive and the burn off are all factors that are needed to have a healthy calorie intake. Eating different foods will give you the same calories but the processed sugars etc are the ingredients that will be the enemy! You also need to be burning your calories! If your body intake too much, and it is not worked off your body will store those calories into energy pockets which is fat. Your body will presume you need that energy for later and will save it into fat pockets! Hope that helped! Thank you!
  • MyUserNameiz
    MyUserNameiz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's balance what works for me is 40% carbs, 40% Protein 20% Fat. Protein a must in morning to jumb start motablisism
  • MyUserNameiz
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How many carbs should one have a day. I am a pre-dietabic ?

You should talk to your doctor or (ideally) get a referral to a registered dietitian certified in diabetes management. You will get some conflicting information here, although I know jignatca and earlnabby are two posters who have put their T2D completely under control with weight loss and diet, so I would recommend seeking out their posts (I know you are just pre-D, but I would imagine similar approaches would help).

• MyUserNameiz
    Options
    My.doctor recommends a 40/4O/20, protein carbs fat. Protein in morning to jump starto motablisism.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    niamibunni wrote: »
    We all know what opinions are like. :blush:

That's why some of us rely on science rather than opinions.

My.doctor recommends a 40/4O/20, protein carbs fat. Protein in morning to jump starto motablisism.

Another bogus diet myth. Your metabolism doesn't need to be "jump started". It works 24 hours a day. If your metabolism needs jump starting it means you're dead, in which case you have more serious things to worry about than eating protein in the morning.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Our metabolism doesn't need to be jump started. We aren't cars. Plus you don't necessarily have to eat in the morning. Meal timing is irrelevant unless you have a medical condition.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Nope, carbs aren't the enemy, overeating is the enemy. Some foods (particularly foods high in both sugars and fats) may be easier to overeat because they are very palatable and not very filling, but even these foods are fine as long as you don't actually overeat.

Some people may have personal preferences that make one type of diet more successful than another, but that's not a population-wide trend.

For most people: Fat is fine. Carbs are fine. Protein is fine. Sodium is fine. Dietary Enemy of the Day is fine. Overeating is not fine.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

That's great, although your metabolism works in the morning no matter what (and at other times of day). I think a lot of people recommend protein in the morning since it tends to be satiating and for a T2D probably helps with the tendency that some have to have an overly carb-heavy breakfast. My point to the other poster is that there's no specific ratio that any of us can recommend to him or her, as people are different and we don't know all the details.

I liked 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat when I was actively losing weight and had fewer calories. On more calories even 30% protein is higher than I need so I am doing more of a 25%/50%/25% plan (or trying to--I actually have trouble keeping my carbs up).
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    How many carbs should one have a day. I am a pre-dietabic ?

There isn't a universal number. The best way to tell is to obtain a blood glucose meter and test. I test before eating, 1 hour after the first bite, 2 hours after the first bite, and 3 hours after the first bite (if hour 2 is higher than hour 1). My goal is to keep my blood glucose level in the normal range at all times - and I cut out/cut down whatever my testing tells me defeats that goal. For me, that means I can eat up to about 20 net grams of carbs in a 3 hour period. I haven't been outside of the normal range (< 140 during food consumption periods), aside from slight fasting elevations (100-105 because of the dawn phenomenon) in more than a month.

Your blood glucose goals may differ (diabetics are told to make sure their BG level is < 180 by 2 hours after eating - far too high, as far as I'm concerned since damage starts with chronic levels of around 140), and I've never even been close to 180 at 2 hours). How much/what kind of carbs you can eat may also differ - but the only way you'll know is by testing. Most people can't tell by feel how high their blood glucose levels are.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I know that jump starting your metabolism is bunk. I have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day my whole life.

Do you all know why this is such a common misconception?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting conversation/topic. We recently went low carb and while it is a challenge we are seeing some benefits to it. Along with weight loss we are eating less because we are satisfied longer. Cutting out breads and pastas along with sugars also helps prevent a lot of unhealthy snacking. We haven't cut out beer yet but that is coming soon to see what kind of impact we have.

From an energy standpoint the first two weeks were rough, but once my body got used to finding other fuel sources (fat) my energy level has come back and seems to be even better. The gym is our next step to helping with a complete life change.

Everything in moderation is exactly right as everyone has stated. We choose to stay away from "white" foods in hopes of eating healthier. I am going to stay going low carb because I do need to lose a ton of weight, but also feel it is a lifestyle change we can stick with. And once we are on maintenance we can indulge in the occasional carb loading day of tasty pasta.

Cheers everyone!

But carbs do not only encompass breads, pastas, and sugars. I feel like this mindset is way too prevalent in today's dieter. White sugar and processed bread is easy to overeat calories on. Whole-food carb sources (potatoes, rice, quinoa, legumes, etc) are a different story. Cutting out white sugars and breads isn't a bad thing, but just because the processed side of carbs don't work the best in your diet doesn't mean going low-carb and cutting whole-food carb sources out along with them is the answer.

I find it incredibly easy to overeat potatoes, rice, quinoa, and legumes. I always measure out these foods because they were some of the primary calorie sources that led to my 40+ pounds of weight gain. I still eat these foods, I just make sure to measure them properly and count the calories.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    I know that jump starting your metabolism is bunk. I have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day my whole life.

Do you all know why this is such a common misconception?

I always assumed it was because of the typical American schedule. Kids go to school and adults go to work. Many don't get a break to eat until a specified lunch time. If those people skipped breakfast, you'd probably be pretty damn hungry by then (I know I would) and more likely to reach for junk.
    Or maybe because it's the first food choice of the day - setting up good habits for the rest of the day?
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Cheers everyone!

I find it incredibly easy to overeat potatoes, rice, quinoa, and legumes. I always measure out these foods because they were some of the primary calorie sources that led to my 40+ pounds of weight gain. I still eat these foods, I just make sure to measure them properly and count the calories.

Anyone can overeat on anything. Calories will be calories regardless of their source. I think most whole foods are more filling than processed, generally speaking and that whole-food source carbs tend to be lumped in with processed carbs when people 'cut carbs' to lose weight is all I was trying to convey. Dunno if I'm coming across - I'd just prefer to see more people 'cut junk food' instead of going straight for 'cut all carbs'. Bread vs potatoes and chicken nuggets vs chicken breasts. But, yes, I agree of course that one can overeat on anything including whole food carbs.

edit: sorry for double post
This discussion has been closed.