Cheat day at the buffet

Options
So I went to Mohegan sun with the hubby. I have really been logging everything the past week. We went to the buffet and I didn't go crazy like I used to but I wasn't that great either. I actually tried to log as much as I could. Obviously I went over my calories intake. I'm a little upset but I can't go back. I'll have to go on the treadmill when the kids go to sleep. My question is aside from not going what do people do when they go to the buffet?

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Cheat days are the most horrific thing I ever tried.
    6 months wasted.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I tried going to a buffet and I stressed out before, during, and after. I made better choices than I used to make and the buffet even had nutritional info online but I wasn't going to drag a food scale along with me so all I could do was estimate.

So, yeah, I've ended up not going again.

If I'm going to eat out, I do so at a chain restaurant where I can order by the item and feel more comfortable that my calories and macros will be close.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I love buffets! I start out by saving the lion's share of calories for that meal. Then I start the meal with a salad and drink water. Then one plate of whatever I want! And maybe a dessert but not usually. I might be a bit high the next day but I drink water and am back down in a day or two. There's no way that I can eat so much in one salad and one guesstimated plate that it wipes out weeks of work.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You do your best estimate. If you know a meal like this is coming up eat less a few days prior or that day to bank calories. You can also spread calories. Divide the extra by x days and eat a little less until you even out. Calorie goals aren't a blank slate every day.
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want and as much as I want lol i do try to eyeball my plate sizes to stay under maintenance at the very least but I rarely ever log my 'cheat' days and generally I either end up with very little water weight or lose it within a couple of days along with staying on 'goal weight' track anyway... so it's likely not as big a deal as your mind is making it out to be.

I would suggest to be extremely picky about what you eat. Take only one piece or one small scoop of only the very best dishes. If you don't really care for the taste don't ever take another bite and only go back for seconds if it was the most amazing thing you've ever tasted. Drink water, eat slow, and don't ignore when you're full...

Also, if you know you'll be attending a buffet then eat very light meals up to and after it to compensate. Or, alternatively, increase your deficit the day (or days) before in preparation for going over on buffet day. This way you won't actually be over on your weekly caloric goal.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Just did a mile and a half jogging in treadmill. It's a little something.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to eat a healthy, reasonable-calorie meal at a buffet than at most restaurants. There's usually lots of options for veggies, lean protein, and fruit at a buffet, and you can choose a smaller portion than a typical restaurant will serve. I walk the entire buffet before I make my choices, and pick out two or three more calorie-dense items to sample in one- or two-bite servings along with larger amounts of nutrient-dense foods. Sure, I eat more calories than I generally would at home, but it's a lot less than if I went out for a burger, fries, and a milkshake.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love buffets, and actually find them pretty diet-compatible (salads, fruit, usually a variety of proteins and some light desserts) but I think of them as being exciting for offering a wide selection instead of "all you can eat."

Like "yay, I can take a *little* bit of everything or just one thing that looks amazing, and if it's disappointing I can stop eating it and get something better, no hassle." But I still don't take more than a normal meal worth. I'm just excited over having such a wide selection.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a buffet lunch next week paid for by my boss and im dreading it! All the food has rich creamy sauces and there isnt too many salad bits at the one i am going to... any help? Ideas? I am going to try and use a small plate and small potions but it seems like im nervous over nothing
  • mystgrl1604
    mystgrl1604 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love buffets and cheat days! They are the days when I can have everything i want haha. What i do in preparation for a buffet or cheat day is to have a massive gym day either before, on the day, or after and create that deficit. Then log everything! Last buffet i logged i ate nearly 3000 calories :s but i try not to let that rule my life. Im still losing, and that's what counts. :p
  • chandanista
    Options
    I have a buffet lunch next week paid for by my boss and im dreading it! All the food has rich creamy sauces and there isnt too many salad bits at the one i am going to... any help? Ideas? I am going to try and use a small plate and small potions but it seems like im nervous over nothing

You know it's coming. Eat under goal around 100~ calories/ day, this will give you an extra 700-ish weekly deficit to absorb the extra calories at the buffet. Then go eat, drink water and enjoy! And don't derail the next day!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love buffets! I start out by saving the lion's share of calories for that meal. Then I start the meal with a salad and drink water. Then one plate of whatever I want! And maybe a dessert but not usually. I might be a bit high the next day but I drink water and am back down in a day or two. There's no way that I can eat so much in one salad and one guesstimated plate that it wipes out weeks of work.

I like your solution.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Hfeff wrote: »
    So I went to Mohegan sun with the hubby. I have really been logging everything the past week. We went to the buffet and I didn't go crazy like I used to but I wasn't that great either. I actually tried to log as much as I could. Obviously I went over my calories intake. I'm a little upset but I can't go back. I'll have to go on the treadmill when the kids go to sleep. My question is aside from not going what do people do when they go to the buffet?

I avoid buffets because I overeat because I want to get my money's worth, and honestly old food sitting under a heat lamp just isn't that tasty.
  • devinslead10
    devinslead10 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I like your solution.

I LOVE U
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It's just one day, and just one meal. Enjoy it, log it, and move on. :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from buffets because I have absolutely no will power. When I do go, I don't worry about logging, counting, eyeballing I go all in. Sometimes I will exercise before to create some sort of deficit, but usually I chalk it up to a gain for the day and I enjoy myself. Tomorrow is a new day!!!
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The food is rarely really good at a buffet, so that makes it easy to stay away from them. I'd much rather have a smaller portion of something that is great. I admit I would be one who would want her money's worth too.
  • chandanista
    Options
    Lol, sounds like everyone here is going to the wrong buffets! :grin:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daily intake M-F is right at 1200. My daily calorie deficit M-F is right at 1200. My weekend cheating allowance is 6000 calories. I can't even imagine eating that much. A dinner out at a restaurant with bread and desert is likely to be 2500 calories, and I don't want 3 of those on a weekend. We don't get to bank sodium though. I can be low for 6 days and high for 1 and add 4 lb of water.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Oh, by the way, I want to add that buffets aren't what got my weight over 350. It was Jack-in-the-Box and the C-store.