Fitbit or no fitbit?

12346»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    lezerlies wrote: »
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    See I keep hearing this, but this doesn't happen to me. Mine counts my steps whether I'm swinging my arms or pushing my kid in a grocery cart or what have you. I wonder why the difference. Am I doing something to cause this? I dunno, but I have repeatedly checked cause I'm all paranoid about that now from hearing it and it counts completely accurately for me.

I wear my fitbit on my non-dominant hand and I have it set up that way on their website. I donno what you are doing differently but I went shopping once and it only counted like 2,000 steps and my friend had over 20k. So I started putting it in my pocket and it was much more accurate after that. Some people even attach it to their shoe laces, lol.

Maybe I walk really...hard? The thing is supposed to count impact as a step, not just swinging. I do have a tendency to hit heel-first pretty loud... Maybe it jars me enough to translate up to my arm. I'll have to video it for you guys, cause I'm not special to anyone but mommy, so something has to be going on.

It actually tracks your pelvis. Seriously. Try moving your waist like you're hula hooping. Watch the steps start flying. I swear to god, try it right now. My Pilates instructor taught me that little tidbit.

Aah so that's how these people who regularly get over 40,000 steps every single day in fitbit challenges are doing it... :huh:
  • levonneb
    levonneb Posts: 1 Member
    Got a Fitbit Charge HR from my family for Christmas and I am starting to lose the weight I've been trying to get rid of for the last 2 years. As of yesterday I've lost 4.3 kgs in just under 2 months and counting. Love it and feel 'naked' without it! Depends on what motivates you though... each to their own. I for one am very analytical and having it synced to MFP keeps me honest with what's going in my mouth and gets me moving if I've eaten too much. Best device I've ever owned.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    See I keep hearing this, but this doesn't happen to me. Mine counts my steps whether I'm swinging my arms or pushing my kid in a grocery cart or what have you. I wonder why the difference. Am I doing something to cause this? I dunno, but I have repeatedly checked cause I'm all paranoid about that now from hearing it and it counts completely accurately for me.

I wear my fitbit on my non-dominant hand and I have it set up that way on their website. I donno what you are doing differently but I went shopping once and it only counted like 2,000 steps and my friend had over 20k. So I started putting it in my pocket and it was much more accurate after that. Some people even attach it to their shoe laces, lol.

Maybe I walk really...hard? The thing is supposed to count impact as a step, not just swinging. I do have a tendency to hit heel-first pretty loud... Maybe it jars me enough to translate up to my arm. I'll have to video it for you guys, cause I'm not special to anyone but mommy, so something has to be going on.

It actually tracks your pelvis. Seriously. Try moving your waist like you're hula hooping. Watch the steps start flying. I swear to god, try it right now. My Pilates instructor taught me that little tidbit.

Aah so that's how these people who regularly get over 40,000 steps every single day in fitbit challenges are doing it... :huh:

Except you're still burning calories. I did the hoopla hoop thing for fun to see and I was feeling it afterwards for sure. Also, stand with your weight in your heels and bounce fast with your pelvis slightly forward. Get some awesome steps as well as rock hard calves. ;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.

Billions of people never log their food either, does that mean it's not beneficial? Just because something isn't necessary for better health doesn't mean it's a bad idea....

Please show me where I said it was a "bad idea". While you're at it, maybe you could find where I said it was "not beneficial".
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I haven't known anyone who seems to think they are something other than that. What do you think people think they are?

A magic panacea for weight loss and fitness.

You have very funny ideas about what people think, you know.
  • kris472
    kris472 Posts: 61 Member
    I love my Fitbit HR. Primarily, I use it to keep myself moving. I like having the 10,000 step goal to reach. It is also great to take part in challenges with my friends. The fact that this one has a watch (unlike the flex) is what made me want to upgrade. I hated wearing the flex and my watch. I don't eat back my exercise calories, so I have it connected to MFP (with no problems) just for curiosity. Although, I have found that it is within 50 calories of my HR monitor with chest band. Again, this is just for curiosity. Most days I don't need the motivation to move, but sometimes it is a huge help to have a goal to reach for.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
  • Wheelhouse15
    I won't be buying a Fitbit again, I liked the Flex and then "upgraded" to the Charge and it fell apart after a couple months as the rubber casing started to separate pretty quickly after I purchased it. I got a Vivofit and liked it so then I upgraded to the VivoActive so I could better record my runs and walks along with the GPS functionality. I think they are a great tool if you are like gadgets but you'll have to determine how accurate they are for you. For me they seemed to be fairly accurate. Garmin isn't as accurate as far as calories estimates go but I'm not worried about it as a calorie counter just as an activity tracker.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    People can love them or hate them, but I love my Charge HR. It's a useful tool and I love analyzing data. I'm not dependent on it and I'm aware of a ballpark of calories I can eat without using it. That being said, using my Fitbit actually made me realize how much I was undereating before I used it. It's been great for making me realize how much I can eat to finally stop losing weight.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    edited February 2016
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.

Billions of people never log their food either, does that mean it's not beneficial? Just because something isn't necessary for better health doesn't mean it's a bad idea....

Please show me where I said it was a "bad idea". While you're at it, maybe you could find where I said it was "not beneficial".

I was referring to your dismissive and pejorative tone. You know, the same one you used in the above quote. Not that big of a stretch to assume you think they're not an awesome idea, given you said they're a "fad" and touted the "billions" of people who don't use them and still lose weight. You seem nice.