For those who weigh daily

Options

Replies

• Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    "Considering how much the scale fluctuates, for those of you who weigh-in daily, which weight for the week do you pick as your "actual weight"
    I choose to weigh in every day, in the morning. I only log the weight into MFP on Mondays. So if someone asked me how much I weight on a Friday, I still tell them the Monday weight. I only weigh everyday to see what foods have me retaining water weight and which foods do not. People usually only ask me how much I've lost, not how much I weigh now.
    Hope this helps!

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    This and I use Hack to remove the fluctuations https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet

I don't weight Saturday cause I eat more on that day and the spike goes away by Sunday, I may sometimes but don't log, since I could be 8 pounds up.
    mifii10 wrote: »
    I weigh myself everyday but only log my weight on mondays... and i consider my "actual" weight to be what i weighed last monday.
    If i considered every day's individual weight to be my "actual" weight, i would go crazy! LOL
    Logging my weight, both on MFP and in my mind every week works perfectly for me and i think it should work for others too. :smile:

• scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Bmoy87 wrote: »
    I weigh myself every 2 weeks on Saturday morning. I only do it every 2 weeks mainly because I drink so much water I have to "water fast" the whole night so I have a proper weigh-in. I think weighing yourself more than once a week is overkill and your treating your weight loss as a race and not the proper life change it is and your possibly setting yourself up for failure.

Actually, exactly the opposite is true. When you weigh yourself everyday you see more clearly the trends and fluctuations. Most people responding here that weigh every day don't get excited and drastically change their behavior because their weight went up 0.5 or 1 pound from the previous day. We know it will come back down and that weight fluctuates due to any of several factors. Weighing every day actually helps to see how weight loss is long-term, and you stop being worried about the difference from day to day. I step on the scale every morning when I wake up and then I go about my day.

On the other had, you say your self that you "water fast" to have a proper weigh-in on that one all-important weigh-in day, once every two weeks. That weigh-in is VERY important for you. You give more significance and change your normal behavior in preparation for what the scale will say the next day. How do you react/respond when your anticipated weight loss isn't what you expected?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    If someone asked me today how much I weighed I would tell them to mind their own business. But I use happy scale and I either use my most recent low or my moving average as my weight.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I weigh on most days but only log the losses since I already know my weight fluctuates depending on how much sodium I've had yesterday or if I'm PMSing.

Me too.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    No one asks me and I don't tell. I log my average when it becomes my trending high. That might not make sense to anyone else. Maybe I'm doing it this way so I don't get attached to any number and fluctuations bother me less. I haven't really thought about it that much.

I do the same. I don't use TrendWeight but just average my weights myself. I've found the 20-day moving average goes consistently down. Before I'd hate to "lose weight" only to regain it a day or two later. So the numbers on the scales I expect to bounce up and down. I put the average into MFP about once a week or once every pound or so. No one asks me what I weigh. My friend who is a PT will sometimes ask me what I've lost or if I've been losing but once I launch into an explanation of what my average is versus my day to day I think she stops listening. She is in maintenance so her day to day fluctuations aren't as extreme and she just uses the lowest weight she sees.
    I am new to MFP and am wrapt, so weigh every day after my 5 kilometer of hill walking before breakfast. Still learning, so not sure what Trend weight is and how I can access this feature.
    Weight is not my big worry but I do wish I could log, graph and track all the main health indicators like blood pressure and blood glucose levels. Is this feature available on Premium?

TrendWeight is a separate website (https://trendweight.com/) I think they have apps too. It's free but you need a FitBit account (also free). You can get a wireless scale that will automatically sync with your FitBit account or just manually record your weight in your FitBit account. Then sync TrendWeight with your FitBit account and it will run a bunch of averages for you and tell you when you'll hit goal, stuff like that. FitBit should also sync with MFP so hypothetically you could stop reporting weight here and just report it on FitBit if you wanted.

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I have weighed and charted daily for over three years. I "weigh" what the red line in Libra says I weigh :)
    w700r9zya6a5.jpg

(this is a "nice" picture, it's not usually so good looking)
  • morganinspires
    morganinspires Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What is the benefit of weighing daily? I know my weight varies throughout the week so seeing it increase one day would have me devastated.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is the benefit of weighing daily? I know my weight varies throughout the week so seeing it increase one day would have me devastated.

For many of us, our weight is different each day. Knowing we know up and down helps some of us focus on the trend so that we are never "devastated" by our weight on any particular day. It just becomes a data point.
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but I use the same day/time every week as my "official" weight
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself pretty much every morning, and I log it if it's lower than my previous log. If the next day it's fluctuated up then I just don't have a new log until it goes down again.
    I like the data, but I don't have an emotional reaction to the scale most of the time. I say most of the time because I'm getting really close to 100lbs lost, and I know that might be an emotional day!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options

If it would devastate you then you shouldn't weigh daily. I like seeing the numbers. As long as I am trending down then I am happy. If I only weighed once a week then I would miss some of my lows. Today my weight was up 1.6 pounds after a high sodium day yesterday. But yesterday was a new all time low for me. If I only weighed on Wednesdays then even though I lost weight since last Wednesday I wouldn't have seen that yesterday I was down even more. It is a personal preference. For me stepping n the scale is just part of my morning routine, and while I am always happy when I hit a new low, I don't let it bother me when i am up a little because I can usually see the reason (those cheesy shrimp and grits with all that sodium) and I know it will be back down in a day or two.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Seeing it increase in one week, without seeing it fluctuate every day, would have me devastated. An increase from the day before, no matter how large, can't be fat gain - an increase from last week could be fat gain. Only data points from daily weighing can tell.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    An app called "Happy Scale" takes out the fluctuations for you.

But for reporting purposes, I take my weight on a certain day of the week.
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

That's just it. If you KNOW your weight fluctuates, why would you be devastated to SEE it fluctuate? How devastated are you, assuming you only weigh once a week, and your loss isn't what you expected or hoped for? For that matter, how do you know on the one day you weigh you aren't having a spike day or a day with unusually low weight?

When you weigh every day, you see the trend line going down and worry LESS about what the scale says every day!
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    My weight almost never fluctuates. The last two days it did, it says I gained a pound back. I hate it! I want to blame it on PMS but I'm going to definitely be better about calories for the next week. So I go by what the scale says that day, to keep myself on track.
  • Ladybird1103
    Ladybird1103 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning before eating/drinking and log that weight in Libra (same things as Trend Weight, or any app that trends your losses.

I consider my "real weight" Monday morning, which I log into MFP. So even if I'm up a little from the day before, as long as my Monday to Monday weights show a loss, I am happy!
  • Adamsa1969
    Adamsa1969 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh on Friday mornings before getting in the shower. I never weigh on Monday because I get slack on the weekends with 3 kids and a busy schedule. I know that on Monday, I can help "undo" some damage from not drinking enough water and the increase of sodium and by Friday, my weight has evened out a bit.

But I have a habit of thinking that since I lost a few pounds, then I can splurge and that is what gets me back in trouble and feeling guilty.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    scottsull7 wrote: »

That's just it. If you KNOW your weight fluctuates, why would you be devastated to SEE it fluctuate? How devastated are you, assuming you only weigh once a week, and your loss isn't what you expected or hoped for? For that matter, how do you know on the one day you weigh you aren't having a spike day or a day with unusually low weight?

When you weigh every day, you see the trend line going down and worry LESS about what the scale says every day!

This.

• tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning at roughly the same time, my fluctuations are pretty small (<1lb) and I log a new low weight when it's been the same for two days. I can't remember the last time anyone asked outright how much I weigh though, if the subject of weight comes up it tends to be about amount lost rather than before and after numbers!