Is Insanity insane?

Options
karmaheart
karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
How many of you have actually completed Insanity? I find it very difficult! I would appreciate any tips to help me get through it. I feel so weak and lazy. I've done JM Body Revolution and completed it. Should I just stick with that?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did, but it was brutal, particularly month 2!
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I did it. I ended up screwing up one of my feet from all the jumping around.
  • Rathgar77
    Rathgar77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing insanity. It's the toughest thing I've ever done. Just keep going. Rest if you need to and don't try to go at the instructors speed. I read they all had to do a round of Insanity first to get in sufficient shape to perform for the video. I just put in the disc and do it as hard as I feel I'm able to.

Good luck!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It was definitely insane, however there is not one person in those DVDs who does the entire workout end to end; they all take breaks at one point or another, even Shaun T. I only did about three weeks of it because that's about my threshold for DVD type workouts.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I did the entire thing, and I modified moves. I took out a lot of the jumps and would march in place with high knees b/c my knees can't take all of that jumping. Take breaks when you need to, and just get through it while paying attention to your body.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Insane, as in a badly devised program?

Yep.

That volume and frequency of plyometrics is stupid for a more advanced trainee who has built the tendon/ligament thickness to deal with it. For a beginner (which is what these programmes are usually done by) it's nothing short of ridiculous.
  • wheelsjad
    wheelsjad Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever thought of insanity as a beginner program...you should definitely have some level of fitness or athleticism if you truly want to be successful at it. Diet is key, and everything can modified if need be. IMO the training that your body gets from it translates really well into real world fitness applications as well...I am 6'2"

9t6othukbdf2.jpg
  • NEW_BEGINNINGS28
    NEW_BEGINNINGS28 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im currently doing insanity. Im in my 3rd week its definantetly hard but i push through and take breaks when needed. What has helped me lately is drinking a recovery protein shake after the workouts. I use vega sport performance protein
  • playadelcarmen2
    playadelcarmen2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am three weeks into month two, it is the hardest thing I have ever done. It doesn't get easier, but it is doable. You have to really want to complete the 60 days or you just wont.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    wheelsjad wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever thought of insanity as a beginner program...you should definitely have some level of fitness or athleticism if you truly want to be successful at it. Diet is key, and everything can modified if need be. IMO the training that your body gets from it translates really well into real world fitness applications as well...I am 6'2"

9t6othukbdf2.jpg

Some people get lucky with it. Some don't.

As a programme - it's badly designed however you split it. There's literally no break between sessions for adequate soft tissue adaptation. And that wouldn't be SO much of a problem if the volume was lower, but the sheer number of plyometric movements in one session is off the charts.

When I say beginner- I mean beginner to plyometric training. You then get this person who's likely done few plyometric movements (or if they have certainly not to this volume) and you ask them to perform untold numbers of sloppy plyometric reps in a given time. Then you ask them to come back the following day and repeat.

Nuts. It's certainly well named.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I am on week 1 of month 2 and considering giving up... I managed to do the work outs no problem. I just haven't seen any difference in my body and I've actually put on weight and inches. So not really seeing any benefit in busting myself to fit it in.

I might just go back to running and doing home strength exercises.. As I actually saw the weight coming off doing that. Insanity managed to get my running time and speed a lot better, but that wasn't what I was looking for.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I started doing Insanity last week. I've been having problems with my right foot and right knee for months running/biking so I was looking for an alternative. I actually have been alternating between one day of Insanity and one day of strength training (TRX/free weights) through the week.

The program is a nice challenge. I love it and my knee/foot are the best they have felt since October!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I am on week 1 of month 2 and considering giving up... I managed to do the work outs no problem. I just haven't seen any difference in my body and I've actually put on weight and inches. So not really seeing any benefit in busting myself to fit it in.

I might just go back to running and doing home strength exercises.. As I actually saw the weight coming off doing that. Insanity managed to get my running time and speed a lot better, but that wasn't what I was looking for.

i put on weight but lost inches.

if you're not seeing any difference in your body its because you're not in a deficit.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options

if you're not seeing any difference in your body its because you're not in a deficit.

When did you start to notice that you had lost the inches?

And how many calories a day were you eating?
  • TavistockToad
    edited February 2016
    Options

When did you start to notice that you had lost the inches?

And how many calories a day were you eating?

after the first month. i put on 2lbs that never shifted.

I'll check my food diary - but to be honest what i ate doesn't matter - unless we happen to be exactly the same height/weight/activity level - you need to work out your own cals and get into a deficit?

ETA i was netting 2000 cals when i did insanity!
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It's my go to for when I want to do some intense cardio but I've never actually completed the program straight through. Mostly because there just isn't enough resistance training to it. It has quite a bit of bodyweight circuits and there is an upper body weights video but aside from that it's really alot of plyo cardio stuff. Which is great but for me I only want that 2-3 times a week not everyday. Insanity Pure Cardio is my go to vid when I feel like I need to get a good old sweat going.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    It's my go to for when I want to do some intense cardio but I've never actually completed the program straight through. Mostly because there just isn't enough resistance training to it. It has quite a bit of bodyweight circuits and there is an upper body weights video but aside from that it's really alot of plyo cardio stuff. Which is great but for me I only want that 2-3 times a week not everyday. Insanity Pure Cardio is my go to vid when I feel like I need to get a good old sweat going.

pure cardio is my favourite too!
  • torrielewis1991
    torrielewis1991 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I finished insanity a month go I lost about 15 pounds and gain muscle. It was worth I just joined a gym this weekend and I don't sweat as much as I did with insanity good luck and stick with it!
  • karmaheart
    karmaheart Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    After several attempts to do Insanity I have decided to give up. It's just too much for a person my size ( 5'4" 120 pound). I started doing body revolution combined with a 3 mile run. Good luck to everyone that's planning to complete it!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I have never done the prescribed program because I'd be bored out of my mind doing a DVD day in and day out, but I do throw their DVD workouts into my exercise mix. I love having it around, especially when the weather is bad outside or I don't feel like going to the gym.

I do agree it helps a lot to have experience doing plyometric movements before attempting the disks. At the high speed they are completing the reps there is decent potential for accidental injury if your body isn't adapted and you dive into it too quickly.