rachaellynn69
rachaellynn69 Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2016 in Chit-Chat
T

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why can't I lift weights while I am losing fat?
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I mean, cardio is the reason I lost weight too, but I just spaced it so MWF was cardio and TTH was lifting, I didn't take it as either/or.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    What if I want to do absolutely NO exercise and just eat at a deficit?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Be careful with those cheat days - they can wipe out an entire week's worth of deficit.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    What if I want to have some chocolate cake while also thinking about calories?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Someone else spouting what worked for them without realizing that other people have different needs.
    Jane, you can and should lift weights while losing fat in order to maintain what muscle you have, but for many people, bulking is much harder to do when you're in a calorie deficit needed to lose fat. (The more muscle you have, the faster you burn, so really, yes, lifting weights while losing fat is a good thing, but trying to bulk muscle when you're in a calorie deficit probably won't work.)
  • rachaellynn69
    Options
    You can! This suggestion is mostly for those who want to lose weight steadily. Cardio and weight lifting at the same time is perfectly okay, but just don't get upset when the scale fluctuates, when you lift you will gain muscle, and will gain weight, if you have a good balance it shouldn't be an issue!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I wish I had started resistance training as soon as I decided to get fit and lose weight. Probably would've looked better and been stronger when I first hit goal weight if I had.
  • janejellyroll
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You can! This suggestion is mostly for those who want to lose weight steadily. Cardio and weight lifting at the same time is perfectly okay, but just don't get upset when the scale fluctuates, when you lift you will gain muscle, and will gain weight, if you have a good balance it shouldn't be an issue!

If I am "counting my calories" as you suggested in your OP and eating at a deficit, then gaining muscle weight will be unlikely.

Lifting, by itself, won't add muscle weight. Resistance training is a great idea for everyone who is losing weight because it will help preserve muscle mass. Waiting until you are done losing weight to begin lifting isn't a great idea -- you want to keep as much muscle as you can while losing weight.
  • rachaellynn69
    Options
    This is not me saying "you must do it this way" I am sharing what was successful for me. Weight lifting and cardio is something I do now on a regular basis while eating high protein and low fat non-processed foods. It may not be for everyone, I'm only here to give personal advice.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I lost 30+ pounds eating at a deficit and lifting heavy. I worked on my body composition all through weight loss. That's another way to do it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I wish I had started resistance training as soon as I decided to get fit and lose weight. Probably would've looked better and been stronger when I first hit goal weight if I had.

I feel the same way. In the beginning I would only weight lift once a week because I thought anytime at the gym should be used for cardio. I noticed my strength significantly decrease in 3 months and I thought it was because of my deficit and I was tired.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Does my diet have anything to do with this? Can I still drink lots of beer if I lift and do 40 minutes of cardio each day?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

You won't gain muscle and weight in a deficit. The scale should be going down even lifting in a deficit.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

If I am "counting my calories" as you suggested in your OP and eating at a deficit, then gaining muscle weight will be unlikely.

Lifting, by itself, won't add muscle weight. Resistance training is a great idea for everyone who is losing weight because it will help preserve muscle mass. Waiting until you are done losing weight to begin lifting isn't a great idea -- you want to keep as much muscle as you can while losing weight.

This
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    This is not me saying "you must do it this way" I am sharing what was successful for me. Weight lifting and cardio is something I do now on a regular basis while eating high protein and low fat non-processed foods. It may not be for everyone, I'm only here to give personal advice.

I think part of the confusion here is that you're saying "you" in your post, as if you're telling others to do it this way. This comes across (to me) less as your personal experience than a series of prescriptions on how to lose weight. And some of them aren't especially helpful (like the advice not to lift until one is done losing weight).

Sharing your experience is fine, but if you want to start a post telling others how to lose weight, it might be better to do some more research.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

I know you're just trying to help people, but this really isn't true at all. I started here at the end of June at 139 pounds. The entire time I mixed cardio and resistance training and I believe that helped shape my body the best way possible thus far. I didn't fluctuate in weight and I didn't gain weight either; I'm 111 pounds now. People don't gain muscle eating at a calorie deficit. Cardio is wonderful for overall health and creating a larger deficit, but cardio isn't the key for body composition.

Also, cheat days are never really a good idea because most people will take the meaning of "cheat day" to the extreme and can wipe out their entire deficit for the week. I lost weight eating cake, pizza, and anything I wanted as long as I was able to budget my calories for it.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I think part of the confusion here is that you're saying "you" in your post, as if you're telling others to do it this way. This comes across (to me) less as your personal experience than a series of prescriptions on how to lose weight. And some of them aren't especially helpful (like the advice not to lift until one is done losing weight).

Sharing your experience is fine, but if you want to start a post telling others how to lose weight, it might be better to do some more research.

^^^+1
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    As to "cheat" days, it depends on the person. My splurges happen every Saturday and I'm losing just fine- I 'bank' exercise calories to have my Saturday waffles. My husband can't do splurge days because he'll want to continue splurging the rest of the week and two waffles on Saturday will lead to cheeseburgers on Sunday and french fries on Monday, etc.
    Again, this is another thing that comes down to what works for each individual, and how things fit with their lifestyle, body chemistry, will-power, etc.
  • rachaellynn69
    Options
    Once again, I am simply giving people advice that worked for me. Cheat days are not good for everyone, yes I know everyone is different physically and mentally, it is what works best for an individual. When I did cardio I worked on Elliptical at a pretty high resistance, I was still maintaining muscle. When I weight lift I PERSONALLY take in more calories because I get soooooooo hungry. My first initial comment is what I did to get where I am, it's a suggestion not a demand. That's all. Have a great day!