T

Options

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds doing almost NO cardio. I eat a deficit and lift heavy 3-5x/week. I have lost more inches than pounds, and have completely reshaped my body. You don't have to lose the fat before you work on your shape. Just because this worked for you doesn't mean it should be sold as the guide to how it's done.

Unless of course, I'm doing it wrong?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Once again, I am simply giving people advice that worked for me. Cheat days are not good for everyone, yes I know everyone is different physically and mentally, it is what works best for an individual. When I did cardio I worked on Elliptical at a pretty high resistance, I was still maintaining muscle. When I weight lift I PERSONALLY take in more calories because I get soooooooo hungry. My first initial comment is what I did to get where I am, it's a suggestion not a demand. That's all. Have a great day!

Unless you had a professional body scan before and after, I'm not sure how you would know that you retained all your muscle mass.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Once again, I am simply giving people advice that worked for me. Cheat days are not good for everyone, yes I know everyone is different physically and mentally, it is what works best for an individual. When I did cardio I worked on Elliptical at a pretty high resistance, I was still maintaining muscle. When I weight lift I PERSONALLY take in more calories because I get soooooooo hungry. My first initial comment is what I did to get where I am, it's a suggestion not a demand. That's all. Have a great day!

Do you need to use the elliptical or does pretty much any cardio work?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cardio was the reason I lost weight when I did. If you currently want to focus on the loss of fat, three times a week get on the elliptical and work your way up to 40-60 min every time you go and count your calories. When I did this, I lost 25 pounds in the matter of 3 months.
    once you lose the fat, then you can begin working on your shape. You do this by weight lifting and gaining muscle on machines. Swap our a work out or two of cardio to focus on working for a shape. Do not forget about cardio all together but you do not have to incorporate it as much or as long of a time as long as you are still eating properly.
    Also, when you get to where you want to be and if you think you can control yourself, allow yourself a cheat day once a week. It'd a day to be free of thought about calories and sometimes it's good to have some chocolate cake. Soul food is good when you have worked for it.

I hope this is helpful!

I'm strength training WHILE losing weight. I'm trying to preserve muscle now (while losing) so I don't have to eat at a surplus and regain weight after.

Cardio, cardio, cardio (especially when close to goal) can help you lose fat+muscle...no thanks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Y so much cardio?
  • rachaellynn69
    rachaellynn69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Janejellyroll you seem to be argumentative, if you don't agree with me that is perfectly okay, exercise in general is a healthy way to keep strong and healthy, I have a general understanding of my body and it's abilities and strength, when I put resistance on the elliptical I can feel it working my muscles. It's not that complicated, and like I said if you disagree that's okay, good luck on your journey.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Janejellyroll you seem to be argumentative, if you don't agree with me that is perfectly okay, exercise in general is a healthy way to keep strong and healthy, I have a general understanding of my body and it's abilities and strength, when I put resistance on the elliptical I can feel it working my muscles. It's not that complicated, and like I said if you disagree that's okay, good luck on your journey.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not argumentative so much as I'm generally in favor of accuracy. We have a lot of newer users in this area who aren't as familiar with how weight loss works. I like for them to be able to see accurate information.

I would hate for someone to conclude that they should avoid resistance training because it will keep them from losing weight steadily or that they have to avoid chocolate cake unless it is a "cheat day."

Nobody is saying you don't know your body (although I don't think that translates into you somehow knowing whether or not you lose muscle by avoiding resistance training while in a calorie deficit -- we simply have no way to just "know" that. That you "feel" it working your muscles is irrelevant -- I "feel" my muscles working when I run up a hill, but that doesn't mean it is the type of resistance training that will help preserve muscle mass). What is being questioned is whether your impression that you know your own body means it is a good idea for you to make a post telling others how to lose weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The what now?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've lost 32 pounds doing almost NO cardio. I eat a deficit and lift heavy 3-5x/week. I have lost more inches than pounds, and have completely reshaped my body. You don't have to lose the fat before you work on your shape. Just because this worked for you doesn't mean it should be sold as the guide to how it's done.

Unless of course, I'm doing it wrong?

Clearly, you're doing it wrong.

Also, I love your user pic!
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm not argumentative so much as I'm generally in favor of accuracy. We have a lot of newer users in this area who aren't as familiar with how weight loss works. I like for them to be able to see accurate information.

I would hate for someone to conclude that they should avoid resistance training because it will keep them from losing weight steadily or that they have to avoid chocolate cake unless it is a "cheat day."

Nobody is saying you don't know your body (although I don't think that translates into you somehow knowing whether or not you lose muscle by avoiding resistance training while in a calorie deficit -- we simply have no way to just "know" that. That you "feel" it working your muscles is irrelevant -- I "feel" my muscles working when I run up a hill, but that doesn't mean it is the type of resistance training that will help preserve muscle mass). What is being questioned is whether your impression that you know your own body means it is a good idea for you to make a post telling others how to lose weight.

+1 - as always, excellent clarification for us newbies and lurkers.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    idioblast wrote: »

+1 - as always, excellent clarification for us newbies and lurkers.

Thank you. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

+10000000000
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've been in "maintenance" for a few years now, and I don't do entire cheat days, a cheat meal here and there seems to work for me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Y so much cardio?

40-60 minutes 3 times a week is not too much cardio. That's very reasonable. I actually do more than that daily when I'm able (through non-exercise activities by walking pretty much everywhere) and I love the extra calories I can eat on those days.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

Also, I love your user pic!

Awwww, thank you!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    What are we even talking about in here? Where'd the first post go?
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Tha *kitten* is T ???
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

Found the OP for you

"Cardio was the reason I lost weight when I did. If you currently want to focus on the loss of fat, three times a week get on the elliptical and work your way up to 40-60 min every time you go and count your calories. When I did this, I lost 25 pounds in the matter of 3 months.
    once you lose the fat, then you can begin working on your shape. You do this by weight lifting and gaining muscle on machines. Swap our a work out or two of cardio to focus on working for a shape. Do not forget about cardio all together but you do not have to incorporate it as much or as long of a time as long as you are still eating properly.
    Also, when you get to where you want to be and if you think you can control yourself, allow yourself a cheat day once a week. It'd a day to be free of thought about calories and sometimes it's good to have some chocolate cake. Soul food is good when you have worked for it.

I hope this is helpful!"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

It was this

"Cardio was the reason I lost weight when I did. If you currently want to focus on the loss of fat, three times a week get on the elliptical and work your way up to 40-60 min every time you go and count your calories. When I did this, I lost 25 pounds in the matter of 3 months.

I hope this is helpful!"