Is smoking bad or good for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The part where you smell awful and have nasty hands and hair and skin might reduce the number of social occasions to which you're invited, so... less temptation to eat cake and stuff?

But then, the lung cancer. And the smoker's voice/cough. And again, the reeking horror of how you smell everywhere you go.

You can't smell it yourself, because you've burned out your sense of smell temporarily. But seriously dude, you stink. Everybody who doesn't smoke within nose-shot of you is cringing inwardly all the time.

Yup
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Current Weight: 244 lb

How many packs a day are you smoking? Have you tried increasing or decreasing the number to see what happens?

I just started :disappointed:

Aren't you the guy who walks 12 miles a day to burn 1800 calories? And weren't you trying to run? Seems like you'd want to keep your lungs in good health so you can keep walking. And maybe some day run if that's still something you wanted to do. Going to be hard to walk/run with what cigarettes will do to your lungs.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've been a nurse for a long time. Believe me when I say that smoking is harmful to the body. If you love your blood vessels, your heart, your lungs, throat, and bladder, it might be best to just put them down and don't look back. I have a vivid memory of an anxious hospitalized patient with oxygen on and a fan blowing in her face. She was very thin because she used all her energy to try to breathe.
  • armydreamers
    armydreamers Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I gained 20 pounds when I quit smoking 8 years ago. It sucks but I'd rather live.
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Give the remaining 16 to the first homeless guy you see. He will either use them and appreciate them, or will trade them for something he can use. Or...just throw them out. Really.
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Current Weight: 244 lb

How many packs a day are you smoking? Have you tried increasing or decreasing the number to see what happens?

I just started :disappointed:

Aren't you the guy who walks 12 miles a day to burn 1800 calories? And weren't you trying to run? Seems like you'd want to keep your lungs in good health so you can keep walking. And maybe some day run if that's still something you wanted to do. Going to be hard to walk/run with what cigarettes will do to your lungs.

Yeah I'm that guy who walks daily 12+ miles. I quit thanks to MFP's community actually yesterday i was in too much stress and one of my friend told me to do this and i did smoke. And yeah I love to live healthy life i love to walk 12+ miles a day. I love this community so i quit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,629 Member
    Options
    Well it's good for weight loss once you get lung cancer. Come on man....................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AamirKhan2016
    AamirKhan2016 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So you started smoking to help you lose weight?? Yeah, no...

I was in stress and my friend told me to do this and i did now i quit thanks to MFP's community. I am back to my routine i lost 33 pounds in 4 months now back to track.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I really hope your a troll.... but if not here we go.

I smoked from the time I was about 12 until November 2014. I am now 25 year old.... I was very overweight then and still am, I would have gained the 20 pounds that year had I quit or not, I had been on a steady incline for years... so yeah I suppose it may kill your appetite in the beginning ( a month or so? ) while your body gets used to the poisons and smoke being inhaled, but you'd quickly go back to your old eating habit and youll have a nasty addiction too.

So not worth it. Quitting smoking is the best thing I have ever done for myself. Next will be losing this weight .

Take up crocheting or something and tea drinking to keep your hands busy and your tummy happy between meals.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well. Before I smoked I weighed 170lbs, before I quit last year (after 10 years of smoking) I weighed 218lb. A year after quitting I've lost 20lbs. So no.
    And FYI it took me 5 years of saying "I'll quit" before I actually did. Do yourself a favor and throw the 16 cigarettes away before you do serious damage to yourself and get trapped in a smoking cycle. Please please please
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Your "friend" told you to start smoking? Some friend...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I lost three family members due to their smoking habits. They all died before 60 and they were all overweight regardless of their smoking habits. I know you said you quit, but for this post there are at least ten people out there who have this same idea about smoking and weight loss.

Stop the diet pills, the wraps, the detoxes and cleanses. What kind of a world do we live in where people are willing to take up an expensive habit that can give them cancer just to lose weight? Why is trying to eat less and/or move more that hard? I don't understand the obsession to be thin, especially when it crosses over to self-harm to achieve it. People, please take care of yourselves.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I weighed 220lbs when I was a smoker. I am now a non-smoker (have been for 5.5 years) and currently weigh 159lbs.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    seeing as i got fat while smoking i would say it doesnt do you any favors.

quit 3 years ago and have NEVER felt better!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    smoking is a bad idea full stop!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Smoking is just bad, for you to even consider, well just SMH. Must be a troll.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    YL2eqmY.png
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    After my husband quit smoking, his doctor said he could gain 30 lbs and it would still be healthier than smoking.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    Your "friend" told you to start smoking? Some friend...

Brainless person for doing what they said. ......is it Friday already. ..
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    After the chemo and radiation, my dad went from 145 lb to 90 lb before he succumbed to lung cancer when he was 43. So technically, in the end, it will help you. Until you die. Then it wouldn't much matter.