Significant others

Options
dvis334
dvis334 Posts: 125 Member
My girlfriend is absolutely not interested at all in fitness, nutrition, or motivating/encouraging. This is a huge problem considering ive resolved to make fitness an integral part of my life. Anyone have a significant other that doesn't share the passion for fitness/personal development? Any advice on how to encourage it??

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I know it's nice to have the encouragement or support of one's other half or for them to be actively involved in some way, but really what you're saying is that because you suddenly developed this interest and you resolved to be active, that she must do too? Why should she? I think that any pressure put on her to "get involved" in your regime is only going to be met with resistance.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    dvis334 wrote: »
    Anyone have a significant other that doesn't share the passion for fitness/personal development? Any advice on how to encourage it??

Mine is actually insecure about the prospects of me improving my fitness and my looks, to the point where she's flat out said that she thinks when I get my weight down I'll get a better girlfriend. Her words, not mine. I just do what I can to reassure her. She's literally out of my league physically so I just tell her that the only thing that's going to happen when I lose weight is that we'll match.

As far as encouraging her I just try to incorporate active things we can do with one another. Right now I'm too heavy to run so on the weekends instead of going to the gym and getting on an elliptical or treadmill I go walk. She goes with me and this gives us a couple of hours to hang out together without any distractions and just chat. She can't run because of a back injury but when I do start running I'll probably get her some roller blades or she can just ride her bike. The important thing is to find something that meets your needs for physical exertion that she can share with you so that she starts to associate fitness with time spend together.
  • dvis334
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    Show them results and they will come......in many ways.

Haha makes sense
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Go nuts with yours and make them so jealous they have to either shape up or ship out.
  • dvis334
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I know it's nice to have the encouragement or support of one's other half or for them to be actively involved in some way, but really what you're saying is that because you suddenly developed this interest and you resolved to be active, that she must do too? Why should she? I think that any pressure put on her to "get involved" in your regime is only going to be met with resistance.

So what you're saying is to find someone new at the gym?... Lol jk I'm just saying it would be nice If she took some interest in it. For instance, she loves cooking. I signed us both up for a class to take together and bought her a cook book.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

So what you're saying is to find someone new at the gym?... Lol

No I didn't say that at all.

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    in my experience, you can't make anyone do something they don't want to do, becoming a nag? is not the answer... some folks just don't get it... for reasons known only to themselves... don't push your ideals... relationships evolve... some for the better... some for the worse... My wife and I quit smoking together 7 years ago... just last month... she decided that was long enough... she works hard all day... comes home emotionally exhausted... and with heel spurs and plantar's fasciitis... all she can do at the end of the day is put her feet up... I on the other hand... get up at 4 walk the dog, get ready for work... and get home at 6.. .grab my gear and I am off to the gym for up to 2 hours at least twice during the week... and then I hit the gym Saturday AND Sunday...would I like her to participate? of course... but I can't allow her issues to prevent me from doing what is right for me... and I wouldn't stop her from doing what she feels is right for her.
  • dvis334
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Go nuts with yours and make them so jealous they have to either shape up or ship out.

Now This I can do lol
  • claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My husband's not into it at all. He was an amazing wrestler and said it would take too long to get back to where he was. I've accepted that, but what kills me is all the junk food in the house. He's one of those people that can eat whatever they want and still stay lean - I am not. But that's why I have you guys! Stay strong!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Go nuts with yours and make them jealous
    That's my plan. My girlfriend doesn't seem to care about being active at all while I've consistently gone to the gym 3x/week since we met. She's put on some weight and I'm just about to start a cut so we're both a little jiggly right now. I'm hoping if she sees me making progress on my cut that she gets motivated as well.
  • mindaroo76
    mindaroo76 Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It took almost a year of me going to the gym 6 days a week and often running outside afterwards for my husband to start exercising consistently. I've always been a runner so working out to get him interested in doing the same was never my motivation. He works out of state M-F so we talk on the phone daily. When he would ask me about my day I would tell him I went to the gym and then went running. I also stay home with our four kids. He would always say, "Damn, you're a bad *kitten*," when he'd hear about my day. I never said anything to him about the fact that he was child-free M-F each week, yet could "never find the time" to exercise. I just did my thing and after about 6 months he started saying how inspirational I was. Then a few months later I started noticing when we would talk on the phone he would frequently say he had gone for a hike or was getting up early the next morning to run. This is a long way of saying what others have said: She will either come around and take an interest in it because it's an important part of your life (which we should all try to do for our significant others if something is really important to them), or she won't and you'll have to accept her for who she is (don't drop hints, it will backfire), or decide it's a big enough part of your life that to not have this commonality with her is a deal-breaker...
  • Fit_Kountry_
    Fit_Kountry_ Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    in my experience, you can't make anyone do something they don't want to do, becoming a nag? is not the answer... some folks just don't get it... for reasons known only to themselves... don't push your ideals... relationships evolve... some for the better... some for the worse... My wife and I quit smoking together 7 years ago... just last month... she decided that was long enough... she works hard all day... comes home emotionally exhausted... and with heel spurs and plantar's fasciitis... all she can do at the end of the day is put her feet up... I on the other hand... get up at 4 walk the dog, get ready for work... and get home at 6.. .grab my gear and I am off to the gym for up to 2 hours at least twice during the week... and then I hit the gym Saturday AND Sunday...would I like her to participate? of course... but I can't allow her issues to prevent me from doing what is right for me... and I wouldn't stop her from doing what she feels is right for her.

That's a great way of putting it. Nice.
  • wmccarter33
    wmccarter33 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Usually the women that act like that and make comments like that are the ones that end up being unfaithful they are insecure and start turning to thers for validation.... be aware...be warned...

UG77 wrote: »
    Anyone have a significant other that doesn't share the passion for fitness/personal development? Any advice on how to encourage it??

Mine is actually insecure about the prospects of me improving my fitness and my looks, to the point where she's flat out said that she thinks when I get my weight down I'll get a better girlfriend. Her words, not mine. I just do what I can to reassure her. She's literally out of my league physically so I just tell her that the only thing that's going to happen when I lose weight is that we'll match.

As far as encouraging her I just try to incorporate active things we can do with one another. Right now I'm too heavy to run so on the weekends instead of going to the gym and getting on an elliptical or treadmill I go walk. She goes with me and this gives us a couple of hours to hang out together without any distractions and just chat. She can't run because of a back injury but when I do start running I'll probably get her some roller blades or she can just ride her bike. The important thing is to find something that meets your needs for physical exertion that she can share with you so that she starts to associate fitness with time spend together.

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My wife does not and never has been one to work out. She likes to walk, so we do that together occasionally. However, she is supportive of everything I do. From Martial Arts to Soccer to building a weight room in our home.

When I met her, I wasn't looking for a workout partner, I was looking for a mate. She fills that position in my life perfectly.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    If this is a new thing you've picked up, I suggest giving her time to get used to it and finding ways to be active together that maybe exist outside of the gym (hiking, rockclimbing, kayaking, etc). I don't see a problem with her not actively changing her routine, but if she continues to be discouraging about it and personal development in general, that is a larger issue.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Go nuts with yours and make them jealous
    That's my plan. My girlfriend doesn't seem to care about being active at all while I've consistently gone to the gym 3x/week since we met. She's put on some weight and I'm just about to start a cut so we're both a little jiggly right now. I'm hoping if she sees me making progress on my cut that she gets motivated as well.

Have you ever considered that she loves either which way, and expects the same in return, and that "making her jealous" might not go down very well?
  • CollieFit
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    My wife does not and never has been one to work out. She likes to walk, so we do that together occasionally. However, she is supportive of everything I do. From Martial Arts to Soccer to building a weight room in our home.
    When I met her, I wasn't looking for a workout partner, I was looking for a mate. She fills that position in my life perfectly.

<3

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »

That's a great way of putting it. Nice.

I have plantar fascititis, heel spurs, tendinitis, flat feet, etc and its was very painful (until I stretched it religously for two months while waiting for the subway.) Pain is wearying. Your wife may not have the energy to work out with you.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I love my husband for who he is I didn't stay with him to change him no one should change anyone

Did you meet her as you both are now we're you exercising etc when you meet she not or has one of you changed ? That's the most important question
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend is absolutely not interested at all in fitness, nutrition, or motivating/encouraging. This is a huge problem considering ive resolved to make fitness an integral part of my life. Anyone have a significant other that doesn't share the passion for fitness/personal development? Any advice on how to encourage it??

So, make fitness an integral part of your life. Either she'll deal or she won't, but either way the problem will solve itself.

Maybe she'll start to look forward to when you're at the gym and she gets some alone time.
    Maybe she'll also decide to make fitness an integral part of her life, and you 2 can be swolemates.
    Maybe she'll decide that you spend way too much time at the gym and not enough with her and break up.

But as long as you're clear that working out is about you and not her, and that it's non-negotiable .. the rest will just work itself out.