Vegan gone unvegan because of bone broth craze?

I'm interested if this has occurred to any long time vegans? There is this bone broth craze going on and apparently there are longtime vegans jumping on the cartilage benefit train!

I see you can have vegan bone broth ( without bones) with the same benefits as the bone broth.

I just wondered had anyone switched to no vegan for bone broth and why? I found it to be interesting and read many blogs of long time vegans (15+ years) gone non vegan bc of bone broth. I wanted to see what is the deal?

Replies

• vegangela_
    vegangela_ Posts: 154 Member
    Bone broth usually goes hand in hand with the paleo diet. And I guess anyone who went vegan for health reasons may be interested in the paleo diet. You wouldn't catch me eating bone broth though!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I have never been vegan, but I have gelatin (collagen ) everyday for skin and hair health, plus it has a decent amount of protein
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Vegan "bone broth" is what? Just . . .broth?

It's hard for me to imagine someone overcoming an objection to animal exploitation just to consume broth. It seems like just another food trend to me.

Yup, I find the whole premise kind of bizarre.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    OMG seriously?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

So you completely renege on an ethical decision that means you have to work hard to ensure adequate nutritional markers are met and your entire life is lived without animal by-products in order to drink soup, which has no discernible scientific benefit above the fact it's soup

Of all the cockamamie things I have ever heard

Calling @BecomingBane and @janejellyroll to comment on this one because I would like to hear their responses
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    Isn't the one of the main points of being vegan, to NOT subject animals for food use?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OMG seriously?

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard

So you completely renege on an ethical decision that means you have to work hard to ensure adequate nutritional markers are met and your entire life is lived without animal by-products in order to drink soup, which has no discernible scientific benefit above the fact it's soup

Of all the cockamamie things I have ever heard

Calling @BecomingBane and @janejellyroll to comment on this one because I would like to hear their responses

I wouldn't stop being vegan for bacon or custard or lasagna with fresh mozzarella, but at least those things are understandable. For a bowl of broth? No. This just doesn't compute.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    So many questions...
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    What is bone broth, and why I've never heard of it...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What is bone broth, and why I've never heard of it...

Its stock
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member

It's hard for me to imagine someone overcoming an objection to animal exploitation just to consume broth. It seems like just another food trend to me.
    well yes vegan bone broth is just broth from veggies and kelp and other sea veggies as they are higher in these nutrients similar to bone broth.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Yup, I find the whole premise kind of bizarre.

Me too. If you are plant-based for health and think bone broth is healthy, sure. But if you are vegan I don't see how you make an exception. No one needs to consume bone broth.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Weird-dieting cousins of mine last week recommended bone soup for my wife's arthritis. This cousin claims that eating wheat grass cured her cancer, so you know.
  • angelexperiment
    Evidently all the vegans who gave up veganism for the broth said that their nutritional deficiencies were met by consuming the bone broth as it is high in cartilage, callogen and other nutrients that could not be met ( or at least for them). They were all very long time vegans ( which I would assume they would know where and how to get nutrients but I guess that's my assumption)

I do not really understand that perspective unless you were really ill from improper nutritional standpoint and felt this was what your body needed. But I don't see how you could bring yourself to do it ( bc it involves bones and marrow and fats of animal or something) and I read it tastes quite awful initially and I could imagine the smell.

Could a nutritional deficiency be that dire? I have read of vegans with really bad deficiencies after so many years of veganism ( 15 + years) but could that not be avoided with proper supplements or fixed?

As a new vegan I seek to be as informed as possible and learn all I can. I kept seeing these new bone broth diet type books wondering is there something to it? Some miracle nutrients? It flitted across my mind would one or should one relinquish their veganism for it? Then I started to google it and came across vegan version and vegans crossed over to this bone broth deal. My conclusion is I believe you could find these nutrients as a vegan, at the very least supplement any deficit and do you nutritional homework to get everything you need.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited February 2016
    Personally would love to see links to where you found "many blogs of long time vegans (15+ years) gone non vegan bc of bone broth."

Honestly the statement below is much more believable...

MqpB1DG.gif

Reading plenty of links concerning vegan and vegetarian alternatives to bone broth but nothing about transitions from vegan to omnivore because of a "bone broth craze" or "cartilage benefit train"

0aX3hb8.gif

ETA: Actually considering I read about a "Vegan Paleo diet" who knows what people convince themselves of...

ZxF790Z.jpg
  • angelexperiment
    Personally would love to see links to where you found "many blogs of long time vegans (15+ years) gone non vegan bc of bone broth."

Honestly the statement below is much more believable...

MqpB1DG.gif

Reading plenty of links concerning vegan and vegetarian alternatives to bone broth but nothing about transitions from vegan to omnivore because of a "bone broth craze" or "cartilage benefit train"

0aX3hb8.gif

ETA: Actually considering I read about a "Vegan Paleo diet" who knows what people convince themselves of...

ZxF790Z.jpg

Well most of the people who moved from vegan to omni seemed to have gut issues.

Christiefischer.com - why bone broth is the bomb+recipe

Mindbodygreen.com-why you should be drinking more bone broth ( in comments a former vegan)

Elephant journal.com-why I stopped eating a raw vegan diet ( and did this instead)

Nourishing broth.com- from vegan to broth believer

Some other things-

Rebootwithjoe.com- why bone broth is hitting the headlines

Chriskresser.com- 5 reasons why nearly everyone should eat gelatin ( even vegetarians)

Organic authority.com- a vegan bone broth recipe?

Eatdrinkbetter.com-vegan bone broth is a thing now

Food&swine.com-mushroom broth is the new bone broth

The daily meal.com-toucan now brew bone broth in your keurig

Kimsnyder.com- bone broth: mystical elixir or just another food fad

• paleo vegan - not sure if that's a reference to pegan which is a diet by mark hyman- not really vegan more plant based tho

There's also a paleo vegetarian book out there I forget her name but she advocates eating eggs, fish for protein since you are cutting out grains and legumes ( or modified you can have certain legumes) but I felt this was very restricted and impractical.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Bone broth is good if you've been sick. Lots of micronutrients in an easily digestible (but low cal) package. Also good if you're doing IF - lots of micronutrients and pretty decent protein (considering) in a low cal but high volume package. Personally, I think it tastes much better than regular chicken/turkey/beef broth so I'll substitute bone broth for regular broth in my cooking.

But the benefits and taste are no where near enough to switch from either vegetarian or vegan to have it. That's just nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Evidently all the vegans who gave up veganism for the broth said that their nutritional deficiencies were met by consuming the bone broth as it is high in cartilage, callogen and other nutrients that could not be met ( or at least for them). They were all very long time vegans ( which I would assume they would know where and how to get nutrients but I guess that's my assumption)

I do not really understand that perspective unless you were really ill from improper nutritional standpoint and felt this was what your body needed. But I don't see how you could bring yourself to do it ( bc it involves bones and marrow and fats of animal or something) and I read it tastes quite awful initially and I could imagine the smell.

Could a nutritional deficiency be that dire? I have read of vegans with really bad deficiencies after so many years of veganism ( 15 + years) but could that not be avoided with proper supplements or fixed?

As a new vegan I seek to be as informed as possible and learn all I can. I kept seeing these new bone broth diet type books wondering is there something to it? Some miracle nutrients? It flitted across my mind would one or should one relinquish their veganism for it? Then I started to google it and came across vegan version and vegans crossed over to this bone broth deal. My conclusion is I believe you could find these nutrients as a vegan, at the very least supplement any deficit and do you nutritional homework to get everything you need.

You would *think* long-term vegans would understand how to meet their nutritional needs, but some of the long-term vegans I have met have been some of the most vulnerable to dietary trends that may deprive us of the nutrients we need: things like 80/10/10, very low fat, raw dieting, eliminating processed foods, refusal to supplement or eat fortified foods, extended fasts, liquid diets, etc. Spending years depriving your body of what it needs can, sadly, have serious consequences for our health.