What to order at the movies?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Take a big purse and bring your own snacks.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I remember reading (and I don't know if this is true or still true) that the 'butter' they put on movie theatre popcorn is essentially pure oil, and a large movie theatre popcorn has the same amount of fat as like, 12 big macs (something ridiculous). I love popcorn, but haven't touched movie theatre popcorn since then.

I usually sneak stuff in. I'll treat myself to SweetTarts (pure sugar, yay!) or Milk Duds. To be fair, I can only make it through three milk duds in a movie. I think I made it up to four when I saw Lord of the Rings...
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I go at least once a month with my wife, and I usually eat a small unbuttered popcorn as my lunch, which for me is totally doable. It's like ~530 calories, and I bank for the weekends anyhow, and then I just get a small diet soda.

Yup, this is what I do - the popcorn is my meal.

Me, too! Small, unbuttered popcorn and I count it as my meal.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Save money AND calories and don't eat anything. Make sure you have a good dinner. Maybe take a couple of pieces of dark chocolate with you for dessert. Eating at the movies is a habit, like snacking in front of the TV. You can train yourself not to do it.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned - bring your own snacks. I cut up an apple and put it in a ziplock bag in my purse - and bring a bottled water.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't quite understand eating at the cinema, it's always so expensive (over here anyway), and it just seems like people are eating for the sake of it. Fair play if you want to, I get that it's nice to eat nice things and I'm not saying that people shouldn't, but it just seems a pity to stress about your social life because you're worried about eating while watching a film. We go to the cinema most weeks and tend to time our trips so we have dinner before we go, so I will occasionally (once every six months or so) take a bag of sweets in to the cinema because I fancy something sweet after dinner and the film is starting so the timings overlap, but blimey, if I was expected to eat extra food in front of the film every week my wallet would be a lot lighter and my waistline a lot larger :p
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I believe my theater sells those big dill pickles.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Popcorn swimming in butter and a diet soda. Always.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can you not share a portion of popcorn with a friend? You get all the flavour and half the calories :) itll also help control the portion. And eat something before going or you maybe tempted to order all the things you shouldnt
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    How about just watching the movie? Or buy a bottle of water.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Nada. I don't understand the need to buy expensive calorie-laden food at the movies. What a waste of money!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    You don't have to order anything, it's OK. However, if you're one of those people like me who can't control yourself, order a small popcorn and work it into your calories.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    I don't quite understand eating at the cinema, it's always so expensive (over here anyway), and it just seems like people are eating for the sake of it. Fair play if you want to, I get that it's nice to eat nice things and I'm not saying that people shouldn't, but it just seems a pity to stress about your social life because you're worried about eating while watching a film. We go to the cinema most weeks and tend to time our trips so we have dinner before we go, so I will occasionally (once every six months or so) take a bag of sweets in to the cinema because I fancy something sweet after dinner and the film is starting so the timings overlap, but blimey, if I was expected to eat extra food in front of the film every week my wallet would be a lot lighter and my waistline a lot larger :p

I really agree with this. And its kinda the same in Canada - you go to the movies to see the movies, not to eat something. But I have noticed that in the US, everything is an eating event - like going to the mall (eat at the food court), shopping (eat out for lunch), movies (as above). I really am blown away by the reports I see here of how often people eat out or do take out. I think its a cultural thing. And economics too - the economy of scale applies in favour of the Americans - lots of them = lower costs for vitually everything.
  • Gurney_Halleck
    Gurney_Halleck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    samgamgee wrote: »

I really agree with this. And its kinda the same in Canada - you go to the movies to see the movies, not to eat something. But I have noticed that in the US, everything is an eating event - like going to the mall (eat at the food court), shopping (eat out for lunch), movies (as above). I really am blown away by the reports I see here of how often people eat out or do take out. I think its a cultural thing. And economics too - the economy of scale applies in favour of the Americans - lots of them = lower costs for vitually everything.

You lost, King George. Get over it. ;)