Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How much thought/money do you put into the water you drink?

Options

Replies

• BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I gave up juice and soda a couple of years ago and now drink water and coffee exclusively. I'm picky about my water and prefer room temperature bottled water with True Lemon for flavor. Aquafina is my favorite because I can buy a 32 pack for 4.99 and it tastes better to me than any of the other brands I've tried.

I bought a Brita faucet filter last December thinking I'd save money that way, but I still can't stand the taste of our tap water. It always smells like a swimming pool coming out, and I can't bring myself to drink it.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just drink our tap water (UK). :|
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I drink it straight from the tap and don't give it a second thought. But I also grew up in a time when all kids drank water from garden hoses, long before the fearmongering about that practice began. I guess because they never told us we could die from it, none of us ever did.

Yeah, we did that too, no related deaths!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with the tap water unless it tastes nasty - it does where my parents live, though the water is safe. I won't drink any water in their county that isn't filtered post-tap.

You won't catch me drinking any water in my area that hasn't been treated. Drink from a creek or any ground water around here and you're about guaranteed to get giardia as my previous dogs could attest.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, it must be either bottled and (if possible) refrigerated, or RO (again, cold if possible).

Bottled water isn't necessarily better. Often, it actually has lower standards than local municipal water purification. Just go with tap, you'll be safer (unless you're in Flint, or the Navajo reservation)
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    What is RO?

We drink a combination of filtered and bottled water. The bottled water is a necessity because our cats are jerks and I have a thyroid med to take before I get up.

Wait...why not just have a re-fillable water bottle with a top?

Also, plastic water bottles are pretty awful for you.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, it must be either bottled and (if possible) refrigerated, or RO (again, cold if possible).

Bottled water isn't necessarily better. Often, it actually has lower standards than local municipal water purification. Just go with tap, you'll be safer (unless you're in Flint, or the Navajo reservation)

The municipalities that have an issue are very few and far between. Have you heard of any major breakouts like the one we had in Milwaukee since that happened in the early 90's? I haven't. Bad city water is very much the exception rather than the rule.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Tap water and bottled.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Only to the extent I buy bottle water tor trips.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I spend $103 every three months for water. Which is my water utility bill...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is my primary concern. What blend of hops, malt, and barley I filter my water through before ingesting.

So so many options...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of water, so I usually don't drink it plain. We use the fridge filter for cooking water, and I have one brand of bottled that I can stand to drink cold, and that's it for us.
  • Goatsmith
    Goatsmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    This is my primary concern. What blend of hops, malt, and barley I filter my water through before ingesting.

So so many options...

^ This.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

The municipalities that have an issue are very few and far between. Have you heard of any major breakouts like the one we had in Milwaukee since that happened in the early 90's? I haven't. Bad city water is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Unless you live next door to the water treatment plant. I grew up next to one, and after the Rainsoft guy took a sample of our water back with him because his portable unit couldn't filter it fully, I wouldn't drink the tap water any more!
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Tap water. It has 2 hydrogen atoms to every oxygen atom as any other water and that works for me.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK in a soft water area. It is pretty much all I drink water wise. I think bottled water is nothing but a rip off.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    We have a Brita pitcher but it's really only to keep water cold in the fridge - I'm certain we don't change our filter half as often as you're supposed to. I drink tap water if someone emptied the pitcher and didn't refill it, and we make our ice cubes and coffee with straight tap water. At work we have a huge ice/water dispenser, but I've got no idea if it's filtered or if it's just straight tap water and I honestly don't care that much. We get Lake Michigan water that goes through some excellent water treatment plants, though, so it's pretty darn good water.

I only drink bottled water if it's absolutely 100% the only option at the time. I bring a reusable container with me to refill and drink from whenever I can. The plastic waste from bottled water and the damage that it does to our planet is downright disgusting, not to mention the expense. I truly can't understand people who frequently/exclusively drink bottled water when there are safe and generally palatable tap options available.
  • ForgetfoodDrinktea
    Options
    I use a zero water filter. It's not very expensive... 30$ for two filters, and I keep it in the refrigerator. That's the secret to making the filters last longer.

I live in the central us. Our water isn't too bad. I don't like fluoride or all those other trace minerals in my water though. And our water is very hard. The filter helps to soften it.

I don't cry over drinking tap when I'm at work, but lately, I've become more aware to what's in my body and am trying to only drink filtered and eat organic.

I've also taken to healthy pre filtered beverages such as kombucha, to help balance my pH for when I'm unable to drink better waters.

Although I'm brewing my own kombucha, it's a long process and I still buy it bottled from time to time.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    The point I'm making is humans shouldn't be drinking water that animals defecate in without filtering

If that was true the human race would have died out thousands of years ago!! I know it sounds rank but fact is our bodies are equipped to build immunity to bacteria like that! I'm talking clean creek water here like nature intended!!
  • ForgetfoodDrinktea
    Options

'If that was true the human race would have died out thousands of years ago!! I know it sounds rank but fact is our bodies are equipped to build immunity to bacteria like that! I'm talking clean creek water here like nature intended!'

This is true... Probiotics are a very important part of older nutritional lifestyles. I'm glad your body can handle that water. However many normal people nowadays couldn't handle this type of water.

Call it evolution or just dietary changes, but our bodies really can't handle that bacterial disaster unless we eat the right things.

Sure, we could make it a possibility. What with the probiotics in kombucha, yogurt, kefir, vinegar, fermented foods, etc. We can build a stronger immunity.

People today have it easy, with tap water that's precleaned and fancy vegetable washers and scrubbers and refrigerators.