The Truth on Eggs

Options
Eggs are my go-to almost every day after my morning workout. I eat the whole egg. I have heard that they're just fine to eat every day but I've also heard they're bad to eat too often. So what's really the truth? Anyone have first hand experience with eating eggs almost every day?

Replies

• browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have 2 eggs just about every day and I've had no problems with it. No cholesterol issues or anything, though mfp always tells me I'm over for my cholesterol for the day I've never actually had any cholesterol problems from it. I think (though I could be wrong) that only people who already have issues with their cholesterol or who are at higher risk for issues need to limit their egg intake. But I love them, they are a great source of protein and they keep me full and satisfied so I will keep eating them :)
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eggs are also my go-to. Egg muffins, hard boiled, egg drop soup. I had backyard chickens and there's nothing like fresh eggs. I have my bloodwork done annually and have had no ill effects. I guess it depends on your body...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg with 2 tablespoons of egg whites every night and my bad cholesterol and triglycerides actually went down.

So, yeah, unless you have one of those diseases that you shouldn't actually be eating dietary cholesterol, you're doing fine. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    The information is very conflicting, isn't it. I choose to eat them.
  • DannyDo678
    DannyDo678 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Day 30 of eating 12 egg whites a day. Currently sick. Don't know if related
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eggs got a bad rep several years ago because they do contain cholesterol. What I've heard from medical professionals is the cholesterol your body produces is the problem, not the cholesterol in food. The fats and processed foods (or genes) are more likely a culprit for people with high numbers. And.. I eat at least one egg for breakfast every day.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If you and your loved ones can stand the resulting sulfuric body emissions, there's no reason not to enjoy them as part of a well balanced diet.

I have a couple eggs for breakfast probably 2-4 times per week.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    2 to 3 eggs and whey protein in water probably 5 or 6 days a week for me. I am looking forward to my next blood workup. I expect HUGE improvements and nothing negative from all the eggs. I choose organic cage free but thats not to say non organic are bad.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs a day, and my cholesterol is AWESOME. According to my doctor, it's a myth that eating eggs=high cholesterol. Eggs are a great source of protein and other goodies.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    6 per day. Never felt or looked better.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome. As others have stated, the current research/thinking is that dietary cholesterol doesn't relate to cholesterol levels in humans.
  • MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the whole egg/cholesterol thing has been debunked. So eat your eggs. Love them myself. Anyway I can get them.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs almost every day. Sometimes just whites, usually the whole thing. I'm almost 40 and my bloodwork is always good. :)
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your whole egg.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not a "bad food" anymore. I love eggs. I buy them fresh from a local farm and they are soo good! My grandparents ate loads of eggs, butter, full fat everything, meat & potatoes daily and lived to their 90s. Of course, they were farmers and the quality of their food was better & they worked their a$$es off...
  • OldManOne
    OldManOne Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It was a conspiracy by chickens - Eggs are totally fine, I've eaten them daily for years.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat them, but I can't/won't eat them from sad factory hens. Besides the less optimal nutritional profile of the egg itself, I've gotten so accustomed to free range (really free range, not grocery store "free range") yolks being so dark orange, that pale yellow eggs make me want to hurl.
  • theconformed
    theconformed Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My degree in Nutrition taught me that it isn't actually your dietary cholesterol that contributes the most to blood cholesterol, so if that's a worry at all, you're fine.

Like all foods, it's best to consume in moderation, 1 or 2 a day definitely fall within that.
  • novasunflower
    novasunflower Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome! The "bad for you" BS came about during that whole "low-fat" craze in the 80's and 90's. They're actually quite beneficial for you, and they are a great protein source in convenient little low calorie doses. You can enjoy them every which way and they are always delicious. I eat them for a minimum of one meal a day, but many days I have them for dinner or snacks too! For me they're a perfect diet food, I stick to 1200 net a day and I can make a meal out of one fried over eas with some sauteed peppers for just a few hundred calories!