Help! Tempted to go over!

Options
I've already reached my caloric goal for the day, but right now I'm SO close to just eating some leftovers from dinner. Somebody give me a reason to stop thinking about how hungry I am

Replies

• lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    meg7117 wrote: »
    I've already reached my caloric goal for the day, but right now I'm SO close to just eating some leftovers from dinner. Somebody give me a reason to stop thinking about how hungry I am

What is your daily goal?
  • Sweetnsimpleblond
    Sweetnsimpleblond Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try a healthy snack!! Veggies and fruits!!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The reason I ask, is b/c if it's only 1200, it doesn't hurt to go over it a bit. Your metabolism might be starting to speed up. Although I wouldn't recommend eating your dinner leftovers, a light snack might tide you over.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth, drink some hot tea, drink extra water, chew gum, do 20 jumping jacks, sing a song....or eat a healthy snack. If you're truly hungry-eat something.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're legitimately hungry, then eat something. No need to torture yourself. Even if you go over a bit, the worst that will happen is your deficit is smaller for the week and you may not lose as much... or nothing at all. That's not necessarily a failure.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last night so I went to bed early.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry still, just eat. You're not going to lose all your weight in one day, why punish yourself?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you do eat and go over, rather than beat yourself up, learn from it. What was the reason here?

1. Are your calorie goals unrealistically low? Big problem for a lot of us.
    2. Is it hormonal? Not too much you can do with this one except set more realistic expectations of weight loss and calories around those times.
    3. Did you poorly plan for the day and eat calories too early? Maybe planning your day in advance will help you pace yourself better.
    4. Are you just eating a lot of foods that aren't very filling? I always plan one core meal of each day that is food that I personally find very filling, and then I plan the rest of my day around that.
  • meg7117
    meg7117 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

What is your daily goal?

My daily goal is 1500 calories. I did work out today so there is a little wiggle but I'm trying to not eat back the calories and usually when I start eating I find it VERY hard to stop.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

What is your daily goal?

My daily goal is 1500 calories. I did work out today so there is a little wiggle but I'm trying to not eat back the calories and usually when I start eating I find it VERY hard to stop.

MFP means for you to eat those calories. Now, if you're not logging correctly, you might be eating more than 1500, but if you are, you should eat at least some of those calories. Also, your profile says you're a runner and are training for a half marathon. How much are you running? Your body probably really needs the fuel/nutrition of some of those exercise calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

What is your daily goal?

MFP means for you to eat those calories. Now, if you're not logging correctly, you might be eating more than 1500, but if you are, you should eat at least some of those calories. Also, your profile says you're a runner and are training for a half marathon. How much are you running? Your body probably really needs the fuel/nutrition of some of those exercise calories.
    THIS. I think MFP needs to post the definition of GOAL - something to aim for, achieve, reach - not something to fall well short of. Food is fuel, and it sounds like your body would really like to have some!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,816 Member
    Options
    If you're new to this, and find this happening regularly, you might want to do some experimenting with the timing & composition of your eating, to see what you find most filling and satisfying. While Calories In < Calories Out (CICO) should work for most everyone, there seems to be a lot of individual variation in what people find filling and sustainable.

By timing, I mean different options like 3 meals, 3 meals & 2 snacks, 5 small equal meals, skipping breakfast, eating a big breakfast and smaller meals later, saving some calories for evening snacks, eating smaller meals earlier in the day to save up calories for supper - that kind of thing.

By composition, I mean switching up your macros, within a healthy range. Some people find protein satiating, some are filled up more by fat, some even find that they aren't satisfied with some good carbs in each meal . . . but others find that carbs make them crave even more carbs. Some people need to include plenty of high-volume but low-calorie foods, like broth-based soups, or fiber-containing veggies.

Try a variation for a day or two, see how it goes. You may find some approach that suits you better than your current routine.

And +1 to eating back at least some of your exercise calories - maybe 50% to start - especially if you're training seriously. You need fuel!
  • meg7117
    meg7117 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you're new to this, and find this happening regularly, you might want to do some experimenting with the timing & composition of your eating, to see what you find most filling and satisfying. While Calories In < Calories Out (CICO) should work for most everyone, there seems to be a lot of individual variation in what people find filling and sustainable.

By timing, I mean different options like 3 meals, 3 meals & 2 snacks, 5 small equal meals, skipping breakfast, eating a big breakfast and smaller meals later, saving some calories for evening snacks, eating smaller meals earlier in the day to save up calories for supper - that kind of thing.

By composition, I mean switching up your macros, within a healthy range. Some people find protein satiating, some are filled up more by fat, some even find that they aren't satisfied with some good carbs in each meal . . . but others find that carbs make them crave even more carbs. Some people need to include plenty of high-volume but low-calorie foods, like broth-based soups, or fiber-containing veggies.

Try a variation for a day or two, see how it goes. You may find some approach that suits you better than your current routine.

And +1 to eating back at least some of your exercise calories - maybe 50% to start - especially if you're training seriously. You need fuel!

Alright I will definitely try this! Thanks for the advice!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I've found ignoring hunger sets me up for problems. So if I'm honestly hungry, I eat now, and make it work within my weekly intake.