Half Marathon in a month

Options
2»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Since your long run is 8mi now, you should be fine as long as you keep to a slow pace. You'll probably be able to run the whole thing. You'll just want more of a break afterward.

If it were me, and depending on my weekly mileage (long run at 8mi, I'm thinking you run >20 mi per wk?), I might keep my short runs the same and jump the long run up by 2 miles a week to let me hit the race miles yet still have time to back off before the event.

But I say this having jumped my long run up like this before without consequence following Higdon's marathon training. Works as long as I back off every couple of weeks.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm kinda of in a similar boat with a Spartan Super I have in March. I gave myself only 7 weeks and went from 0 to a sub 50 min 10K in 3 weeks but I'm not going to do more than 13k two weeks before, which is in two weeks. If you can get to a 15K in your peak week you should be able to do a painful 20K but it's going to be a challenge. I guess adding a 2k per week on your long run is going you be your best bet if you can do it.

Good luck to you!

ETA just a note I was off running for 10 months due to a hip injury ran for a week in early December then stopped until 3 weeks ago. So it's doable since you are starting ahead of where I was. It will be hard though.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    DYELB wrote: »
    Short of going back in time?

add a mile to your long run every week. Back off to 8 miles the Sunday before. Don't do anything crazy. Go slow and don't worry about pace. People jump into these things a lot more untrained all the time. Its not recommended, and its probably not going to be fun, but you'll most likely get across the finish line

But wait, your long run is already 8 miles? Get up to 10 or 11. You'll finish.

B*tch thinks she knows everything cause she's run a couple ultras. Don't listen to her.

You need to go low-carb Paleo. It'll condition your body to go keto more readily and will help to avoid bonking on the second half.

Also you're going to want to keep sodium at an absolute minimum and work up to triple your normal water intake the week before your race. Sodium dehydrates you, and the last thing you want on a long run is dehydration.

Also make sure your foot strike is in check to avoid shin splints. Ideal stride varies based on your body type, but for the vast majority of people a solid mid foot strike is the key to success in this regard.

Good luck to you!

I thought we were friends. All those noodz I sent you, wasted.

But that advice was solid gold! :lol:
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! I have a 1/2 on 2/28 and had about 5-6 weeks of training starting with a base very similar to yours. I was doing crossfit 3x per week and running 4 miles 2 days a week and a 30 mile bike ride once a week. I aggressively started adding miles to my weekly long run and shifted to 2 days of cross fit and 4 days of running.

I'd recommend just going for it bordering on over training (only suggesting for someone with a good fitness base and 4 weeks to an event). I've run 8 full marathons but am coming back after several years of a bad lifestyle. I pushed way harder than I normally would and knew a small injury would sideline me. I was close a few times but worked through it. After the race, I'm going to get back to more structured sustainable training. In my case, I need the 1/2 to qualify for my ultimate goal in August. Registration is in March so there was no time to waste.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I hope the poster saying to limit salt intake and increase water consumption by 3x was joking, that's very dangerous. People die in distance events all the time from hyponatremia. You need to be very cautious with sodium intake in distance events. I saw someone collapse at the finish line of the 2007 OC Marathon and later die from this.

Runner's World says: Acute hyponatremia can have serious consequences, including brain disease, cardiac arrest, cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death—arguably making hyponatremia the most important health risk many marathoners will face.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/hyponatremia#
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    UG77 wrote: »
    DNF ~ Did Not Finish. I'm guessing.

Really digging the, "I'm doing it anyway" attitude.

Do you have just 1 day per week where you have your "long run" ? If so, for the next two weeks have that run be 10 miles. Your other runs during the week can be shorter. For the 10 miler nice and easy. You're not trying to win the half marathon, so don't injure yourself. The last week before the half marathon you're probably going to want to ease up a bit, only run 8 miles on your long day.

To me you're already running long enough distances to push to 13, so you should be fine. You're running it to finish it and you should be able to do that without any issues. When I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon I ramped up from 6 - 8 mile long runs directly to 13 milers without intermediate steps, but I was pretty much a running machine back then.

Actually I agree with this guy. Two 10 mile runs a week for the next 3 weeks, then drop down to 8 as your long run the week before the race. You might not collapse during it or give up running as a result of how crappy you feel finishing it.
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Aed0416 wrote: »
    I don't know if you can do it effectively and safely. I' running a half on the 6th and will be starting to taper after my last long run this Saturday. If I were in your shoes I would try to work up to a 10k prior to the race and then on your race day run the first half and walk the second. The race may even offer a 10k event and they may let you switch.

Isn't a 10k only 6 miles?

Only? Quite the chutzpah you have there. Completing 6 miles at a good pace is a LOT harder than merely finishing walk/jogging a half. Also it's almost the total difference between the longest run you've ever done and the race you are about to do. When you get to the 7 mile mark in your half you can ponder how you have 'only' a 10k left.

Anyways, good luck with your approach.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I hope the poster saying to limit salt intake and increase water consumption by 3x was joking, that's very dangerous. People die in distance events all the time from hyponatremia. You need to be very cautious with sodium intake in distance events. I saw someone collapse at the finish line of the 2007 OC Marathon and later die from this.

Runner's World says: Acute hyponatremia can have serious consequences, including brain disease, cardiac arrest, cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death—arguably making hyponatremia the most important health risk many marathoners will face.

http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/hyponatremia#

Yeah, that's scary and you have to make sure you intake enough electrolytes, such as sodium, to counteract the water intake.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Do a 9 mile run this week, 10 mile the next week and the week before go back down to 8 and you will be good to go.

Best of luck.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do a 9 mile run this week, 10 mile the next week and the week before go back down to 8 and you will be good to go.

Best of luck.

Thank you! That was my original plan. Just wanted to see if there were any other tips from the running crowd (besides not doing it).
  • arunnerdami
    arunnerdami Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did something similar with my last half. I love running but with the summer heat and also trying to reach my goal of 150 Jazzercise classes in 1 year, I ended up going to Jazzercise a lot more than running and completely bonked my training. Then 2 weeks out from my race I had muscle spasms in my back, complete rest for 1 week. I'm had run 10 miles like 3 month before the race, but actually didn't run any the 3 weeks prior to the race (still had cardio and strength except for the week on Doctor's rest). My race time wasn't the best, but I survived. I would still try to work up a few longer runs or at least increase your weekly mileage before having to taper. I've got friends that never run more than 13-15 when training for a full, I'm not that much of a beast.
  • jdt242
    jdt242 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you did 8 miles slowly only the other weekend - that's great. Work on getting up to 10miles before race day and then give it your best shot. You can do it. Don't worry about your pace - any finish will be a PB for you. Enjoy the journey and train more wisely next time. Good luck!!!!!
  • aub6689
    Options
    **Update** Thanks all! I ran it and it wasn't bad. Not as fast as my previous races, but only mild stiffness and a great experience.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Do you have just 1 day per week where you have your "long run" ? If so, for the next two weeks have that run be 10 miles. Your other runs during the week can be shorter. For the 10 miler nice and easy. You're not trying to win the half marathon, so don't injure yourself. The last week before the half marathon you're probably going to want to ease up a bit, only run 8 miles on your long day.

To me you're already running long enough distances to push to 13, so you should be fine. You're running it to finish it and you should be able to do that without any issues. When I trained for the Marine Corps Marathon I ramped up from 6 - 8 mile long runs directly to 13 milers without intermediate steps, but I was pretty much a running machine back then.

Actually I agree with this guy. Two 10 mile runs a week for the next 3 weeks, then drop down to 8 as your long run the week before the race. You might not collapse during it or give up running as a result of how crappy you feel finishing it.
    I don't know if you can do it effectively and safely. I' running a half on the 6th and will be starting to taper after my last long run this Saturday. If I were in your shoes I would try to work up to a 10k prior to the race and then on your race day run the first half and walk the second. The race may even offer a 10k event and they may let you switch.

Only? Quite the chutzpah you have there. Completing 6 miles at a good pace is a LOT harder than merely finishing walk/jogging a half. Also it's almost the total difference between the longest run you've ever done and the race you are about to do. When you get to the 7 mile mark in your half you can ponder how you have 'only' a 10k left.

In fairness, she did say in the OP that she's run two HMs before, so it's not like the concept if foreign to her.

If she can run a 8 miles at a comfortable pace...stretching it out to 13 in a month seems doable. It may not be a PR, but if it's about finishing, having fun and not eating the money, it seems reasonable.
  • blues4miles
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

In fairness, she did say in the OP that she's run two HMs before, so it's not like the concept if foreign to her.

If she can run a 8 miles at a comfortable pace...stretching it out to 13 in a month seems doable. It may not be a PR, but if it's about finishing, having fun and not eating the money, it seems reasonable.

I just don't like the attitude that training to run a 5k or a 10k well is somehow lesser than a half marathon. Being adequately prepared to actually race a shorter distance can be a lot harder than walk/jogging a half or even a full marathon. People should reconsider pushing themselves and better training rather than picking races they think will get them Facebook kudos is all I'm saying. Yes she ran a half before, but obviously didn't maintain her training. It's sort of like the folks that can lose 30 lbs, and then regain it, and keep yo-yo-ing. I'm just suggesting things that might keep a person running year round.

But the OP ran the race, survived, that's all good. Hope she picks her running back up in a week or so so she can keep running races year round and have an adequate training base.
  • aub6689
    Options

I just don't like the attitude that training to run a 5k or a 10k well is somehow lesser than a half marathon. Being adequately prepared to actually race a shorter distance can be a lot harder than walk/jogging a half or even a full marathon. People should reconsider pushing themselves and better training rather than picking races they think will get them Facebook kudos is all I'm saying. Yes she ran a half before, but obviously didn't maintain her training. It's sort of like the folks that can lose 30 lbs, and then regain it, and keep yo-yo-ing. I'm just suggesting things that might keep a person running year round.

But the OP ran the race, survived, that's all good. Hope she picks her running back up in a week or so so she can keep running races year round and have an adequate training base.

I'm sorry that you took my comment that way or if I somehow offended you. When I said only 6 miles, it was because I am more of a duration runner. At the time of the thread I knew I could run over 6 miles and I like to run at a steady 6.0 mph pace because that is what feels good. I don't do 10k's or 5k's because I thought I'd feel the need to go faster.

Also your assumptions are inaccurate- if you'd like to be facebook friends, you will find facebook kudos for the cakes I make instead. And focusing on weights and HIIT over duration training, isn't the same as yo-yo dieting, I continued training and running just hadn't logged a lot of mileage. I'm sorry if my stubbornness was read as arrogance, but I was merely asking for suggestions.
  • Sixtine79
    Sixtine79 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    **Update** Thanks all! I ran it and it wasn't bad. Not as fast as my previous races, but only mild stiffness and a great experience.

Congrats on running it! Well done.
  • blues4miles
    Options

I'm sorry that you took my comment that way or if I somehow offended you. When I said only 6 miles, it was because I am more of a duration runner. At the time of the thread I knew I could run over 6 miles and I like to run at a steady 6.0 mph pace because that is what feels good. I don't do 10k's or 5k's because I thought I'd feel the need to go faster.

Also your assumptions are inaccurate- if you'd like to be facebook friends, you will find facebook kudos for the cakes I make instead. And focusing on weights and HIIT over duration training, isn't the same as yo-yo dieting, I continued training and running just hadn't logged a lot of mileage. I'm sorry if my stubbornness was read as arrogance, but I was merely asking for suggestions.

My apologies. I should have made it more clear the response you are responding to was not directly accusing you of the things I was complaining about. But I can see I came across as rude so I'm sorry.

I don't know you on Facebook (which is probably a good thing so I don't have to drool over your cakes). My complaint was a general one. There seem to be a lot of people who think there is only glory in the half or the full marathon. That somehow a 5k or a 10k isn't perceived as challenging "enough" even though a lot of these people start from nothing. I simply meant that 5k and 10k are challenging distances in and of themselves, to which you alluded to in your post and sounds like you agree with me, and wish more people would go after them first. The steady easy-as-you-go approach with incremental challenges is more likely to keep people running. Trying to get from 0 to 13 miles (which obviously wasn't you OP as you were already up to 6) in a short amount of time is akin to the folks who come on here trying to lose 30 lbs for a wedding next month.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Good job running the race.

It's hard to maintain that balance between actively running and doing something else. I'm in a similar boat right now. I have another fitness program that that eats up the 3-4 days a week I used to run. I've gone back to doing my long runs on the weekends and am considering the idea of doing another half this spring. But it would likely do with less weekly mileage than I did in the past ....which I know isn't the best idea.