Need Urgent Advice Please!

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Adding certain spices like black pepper to your lunch can really add that extra boost to help you lose weight. Also try eating homemade soups such as lentil soup (high in protein, fibre, magnesium, and iron), which will help you become more full during the day and also boost metabolism. I agree with a lot of the previous statements regarding water consumption as well. Good luck!

Oh! I've been doing it wrong. I've just needed to add black pepper to my lunch to help me lose weight. D'oh!
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. Are you consuming sugar or starchy foods that convert into sugar? If you are then your body will use those as energy and store everything else as fat.

Oh lordy. Here we go! lol
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    Please show me the research study that reflects what I am saying is inaccurate. I can be swayed but it needs backed.

your metabolism runs a LOT faster if you don't eat at all for a couple days ...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I believe you need to eat more than one meal. At a minimum try incorporating a couple meal replacement shakes to keep your metabolism going throughout the day.

Nonsense. Our metabolism doesn't shut down if we don't feed it food every couple of hours.

Actually, we do need to spread our caloric intake out throughout the day. This textbook also advocates having at least a light breakfast to maintain homeostasis: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/

What does this have to do with metabolism shutting down?
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm no rocket scientist, but I believe that unless you have some sort of underlying metabolic disease, you should lose weight if you eat less. Shocking, I know!!
  • AgentFlex
    AgentFlex Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Eating One Big Meal At Dinner Won't Affect Your Ability To Lose Weight As Long As Your Overall Calories For The Day Are In Line. If You're Not Losing Weight, Start Accurately Weighing And Measuring Your Food To Make Sure You Are Accurately Logging Your Calories.

Solid Advice Here

• T0M_K
    Options
    fabulousmo wrote: »
    I'm no rocket scientist, but I believe that unless you have some sort of underlying metabolic disease, you should lose weight if you eat less. Shocking, I know!!

Not just less....but less than you are burning. THEN you lose weight.
  • sullus
    Options
    All calories are not created equal. Are you consuming sugar or starchy foods that convert into sugar? If you are then your body will use those as energy and store everything else as fat.

Except for excess protein, which your body will convert to sugar too ...

Your body runs on sugar. Nearly everything you eat needs to be turned into sugar before it is used for fuel.

If you eat fewer calories than you need, your body will begin converting its fat reserves into sugar for fuel.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Before I Started Work, I Was Losing General 1-2 Pounds Overnight, And All Of A Sudden It's Stop, I'm Seriously Considering To Have Less Calories Than What My Intake Is And Very Small Portions?

If you are expecting to continue losing 1-2 lbs every night, you are going to be very disappointed. That is not a realistic goal unless you've had WLS or something of that sort. I don't think you should ever aim for losing more than 10 lbs a month. Just be patient. Give your body time to adjust. Also try tracking your measurements. Sometimes you will see progress in that department, even when the scales don't budge.
  • sullus
    Options
    Before I Started Work, I Was Losing General 1-2 Pounds Overnight, And All Of A Sudden It's Stop, I'm Seriously Considering To Have Less Calories Than What My Intake Is And Very Small Portions?

Yes. Do this.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i am pretty sure you can fit small snacks in throughout your work day so that your dinner isn't so big. is your job such that you can't eat at your desk? or you get NO breaks at all? what are you doing on your lunch time? you could go for a walk outside your office.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Eating One Big Meal At Dinner Won't Affect Your Ability To Lose Weight As Long As Your Overall Calories For The Day Are In Line. If You're Not Losing Weight, Start Accurately Weighing And Measuring Your Food To Make Sure You Are Accurately Logging Your Calories.

This!

I lost nearly 45 lbs eating a small breakfast and lunch and then having a regular sized dinner at 8 pm.

The hard part was the big space between lunch and dinner. I had to fight the urge to eat large snacks.

But other than personal hunger patterns, meal timing won't matter.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    tigerblue wrote: »

This!

I lost nearly 45 lbs eating a small breakfast and lunch and then having a regular sized dinner at 8 pm.

The hard part was the big space between lunch and dinner. I had to fight the urge to eat large snacks.

But other than personal hunger patterns, meal timing won't matter.

you lost weight cuz you consumed less calories than you burned.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    This thread is going to be the death of me. I should have finished my coffee before reading the forums.

I'm surprised starvation mode hasn't been mentioned yet.

Don't get me started. My heart just skipped a beat lol.

But seriously, not to derail. Meal timing doesn't matter, shakes don't rev up your metabolism. Eat in a deficit, weigh your food, lose weight. It's that "simple". Also eat when you want-I eat 800 calories right before bed.

I do love setting aside a significant number of calories for one big meal a day.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Think of it as filling up your car. You can choose to put in 2 gallons of gas every day, or you can wait until the end of the month when it is almost empty. Either way, your car gets the gas it needs and it performs the same regardless of when you put gas in.

I never understand the mentality of thinking you have to eat at certain times. I eat all of my calories between 4:30-8:30PM and am never hungry and have lost 24 pounds so far.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    This thread is going to be the death of me. I should have finished my coffee before reading the forums.

I'm surprised starvation mode hasn't been mentioned yet.

Don't get me started. My heart just skipped a beat lol.

But seriously, not to derail. Meal timing doesn't matter, shakes don't rev up your metabolism. Eat in a deficit, weigh your food, lose weight. It's that "simple". Also eat when you want-I eat 800 calories right before bed.

I do love setting aside a significant number of calories for one big meal a day.

lol that's sometimes just my dessert....I'm definitely not someone to look up to diet wise but at least I know what I'm getting myself into ha.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    May be because I do not have a thyroid, but I find that if I eat my main meal before 6:00 p.m., the weight comes off a lot easier. Eating my main meal later (after 6:00 p.m.) leaves my body feeling very sluggish. Yes, I do weigh my foods and I eat healthy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Are you saying here that you would weigh yourself at night and then be 1-2 lbs lighter in the morning? If that's the case, that's a normal weight fluctuation. Other things that contribute to fluctuations are salt, TOM, and exercise. You need time and patience. Lockdown your logging. Make sure you have that right. Make sure that your expectations are realistic, and keep at it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    This thread is hurting my head, between all the caps and the answers full of old wives tales.

OP, if you were ever losing 1-2 lbs overnight, it was water weight. Actual weight loss will be more like 1-2 lbs per week, and even if you are perfect there will be some weeks you don't lose.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Metabolism changes throughout the day based on activity or specific foods eaten is not enough to make a noticeable change in weight loss.

Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Eat your calories at whatever times work for you.
    Aim for a more realistic weekly goal.
    Weigh yourself at the same time of day, no more than once a day. Considering you seem really emotional about normal weight fluctuations, I would strongly suggest you weigh once a week.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    This thread is hurting my head, between all the caps and the answers full of old wives tales.

OP, if you were ever losing 1-2 lbs overnight, it was water weight. Actual weight loss will be more like 1-2 lbs per week, and even if you are perfect there will be some weeks you don't lose.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Metabolism changes throughout the day based on activity or specific foods eaten is not enough to make a noticeable change in weight loss.

Get a food scale and weigh your portions. Eat your calories at whatever times work for you.
    Aim for a more realistic weekly goal.
    Weigh yourself at the same time of day, no more than once a day. Considering you seem really emotional about normal weight fluctuations, I would strongly suggest you weigh once a week.

/thread.