Counting Steps FAD

Options

Replies

• chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    Your first line is that you are a disbeliever in counting steps and called it a FAD. So all of us, who count steps as a part of our daily lives and see that it helps us in achieving our goals replied.
    I could have a busy day at home and work- but unless I make an effort - as in exercise, walk etc I dont hit or exceed 10k. Without the tracker I would have no clue.
    Lemonade diet is a FAD. Diet pills are a FAD. Side ponytails are were a FAD. Countings steps is not.

If you wanted to make an argument you could have said something like....
    "I think 10,000 steps is an arbitrary number - discuss" as opposed to coming of mildly superior and insulting to a large number of OCD 10,000 step achievers.

^^^^^^^

^^^^^^

^^^^

^^^

^^

^

Yes.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I think it's funny that the op had such strong opinions of step trackers but hasn't bothered to come back and discuss it ?

Op- you really don't seem to understand why people are using them and what they expect from using one.
    Nobody claimed they became a bikini competitor by wearing a fit bit. But we did see a lot of sedentary people start to move more- that's a good thing ! Forget about the 30 mins or it doesn't count and realize that some activity is certainly better then none.

Geez. I posted just last night before going to bed. 12 hours later I am being accused of being troll, throwing out my opinion and withdrawing to never return to respond, being rude, etc.

My doctor has never mentioned 10k steps to me in regards to optimum health and he is big on health promotion and preventative medicine. So I asked him about it yesterday on office visit. He is the one that expressed the concern that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss.

I intended to provoke thought, not to insult anyone. I really wanted to know why the obsession with 10k steps.

I am glad to hear that many understand that step counting is just the beginning of improving physical fitness and motivating you to continue to do more. I do hear a little OCD about getting 10k steps no matter what. Overall, I think you are doing great in efforts to be more fit. You can put your torches away now. No need to burn me at the stake for "heresy".

You said "discuss" then left ... and then when you return you accuse others of diagnosable mental disorders. If you were truly interested in discussion, why create the thread when you wouldn't be around for 12+ hours? If truly interested in discussion, why the accusatory posts .. starting with the OP?
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that the op had such strong opinions of step trackers but hasn't bothered to come back and discuss it ?

Op- you really don't seem to understand why people are using them and what they expect from using one.
    Nobody claimed they became a bikini competitor by wearing a fit bit. But we did see a lot of sedentary people start to move more- that's a good thing ! Forget about the 30 mins or it doesn't count and realize that some activity is certainly better then none.

Geez. I posted just last night before going to bed. 12 hours later I am being accused of being troll, throwing out my opinion and withdrawing to never return to respond, being rude, etc.

My doctor has never mentioned 10k steps to me in regards to optimum health and he is big on health promotion and preventative medicine. So I asked him about it yesterday on office visit. He is the one that expressed the concern that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss.

I intended to provoke thought, not to insult anyone. I really wanted to know why the obsession with 10k steps.

I am glad to hear that many understand that step counting is just the beginning of improving physical fitness and motivating you to continue to do more. I do hear a little OCD about getting 10k steps no matter what. Overall, I think you are doing great in efforts to be more fit. You can put your torches away now. No need to burn me at the stake for "heresy".

You said "discuss" then left ... and then when you return you accuse others of diagnosable mental disorders. If you were truly interested in discussion, why create the thread when you wouldn't be around for 12+ hours? If truly interested in discussion, why the accusatory posts .. starting with the OP?

I do sleep 8 hours at night. And have things to do in AM. Get over it.
  • koinflipper
    koinflipper Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I do sleep 8 hours at night and did come back. Nothing accusatory. Such thin skins.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Such thin skins.

My 10,000 steps a day are helping me attain "thin" status, thanks!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I'm not sure why you are posting at this point. Message boards are also known as discussion boards because people discuss things. You started a thread and then disappeared during the majority of the discussion. When you came back, people again tried to engage in discussion with you and your response is "get over it." You may want to look into the blog feature if you're interested in writing without any kind of feedback. If you don't tell anybody that you've started one, chances are nobody will find it and leave any comments.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I'm not sure why you are posting at this point. Message boards are also known as discussion boards because people discuss things. You started a thread and then disappeared during the majority of the discussion. When you came back, people again tried to engage in discussion with you and your response is "get over it." You may want to look into the blog feature if you're interested in writing without any kind of feedback. If you don't tell anybody that you've started one, chances are nobody will find it and leave any comments.

Touche
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I think the point that you seem incapable of grasping for some reason is that generally speaking when people say, "let's discuss" or some such thing...well, usually people actually start the discussion when they actually have time to participate in said discussion...they don't say "discuss" and then run off to do other things.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hey why do y'all do this? Why do you think this is beneficial? Find some studies. Do some research. I don't believe y'all. Tell me... Ok Goodnight.
    Lmao.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    My fur went up because there seemed to be some judgemcjudgy in your original post. We all have our own goals. Just because someone isn't a crossfit athlete or can run 10 miles at a time doesn't mean they aren't fit or aren't on their way to being fit. Someone who only walks can be fit and healthy.

I spent years thinking that because I was very unfit and unwilling to workout like an olympian that there was no benefit to doing anything. I was so wrong! Just by walking I have improved my fitness level considerably.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

To be fair, not all threads "blow up" in that time period, and I doubt she thought this thread would have as many replies. I actually thought 12-18 hours was well within a reasonable amount of time to "not be around". By contrast, there are often controversial threads posted on MFP and the OP will go missing for days.

• Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I hated it. I wore a friends' for a week. I was so happy to get rid of it. Another thing to feel *kitten* about myself about esp on days when i didn't have control over stuff. I am fine and healthy w/o it. I'm glad it works for some, but not for this chickee.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    And just in case no one else has said it on this thread, 10,000 steps per day equates to roughly 5 miles whether it's all at once or moving throughout the day. I think that counts for something (no pun intended). :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, steps are not a measure of fitness, but activity. They count, not toward Exercise Activity Thermogenesis, but toward increasing Non-Exercise Thermogenesis. Since often what happens with people is that as EAT goes up, NEAT goes down and somewhat counteracts the caloric effects of EAT, what a step tracker does is make a person conscious of their NEAT, and encourage them to not let it decrease, or better yet, increase it. I think you are missing the point of step trackers.

Exactly. When I first started dieting, I would do my session of sustained cardio then not move as much as I thought I did throughout the day. Once I got a pedometer I realized that this was the case. The device served its purpose of making me aware of my activity level, how simple acts can increase it, and how certain things affect it. I found out that when I overdo exercising I tend to compensate by moving less later in the day, so I moved my long runs or harder workouts to evenings, after I have already had a good NEAT day. Explains why I didn't lose as much weight as I expected in the past when I attempted to create a deficit through exercise alone while counting calories religiously.

It's just another datapoint that is useful for troubleshooting, and for some, motivation. It's not meant to be used as a fitness gauge. You still burn calories if you shuffle around as slowly as humanly possible for 10k steps even if it does not increase your cardiovascular fitness.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Bought one. The next day my back looked like that
    <~~~

They are magic.

Starting reading from the beginning of thread and oh my god I am still laughing my *ss off.

Still reading, I hope to get more funnies like this on my journey.. :):)

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Really I somewhat agree with the OP. It's another thing that has become trendy again, and the next thing you know people attach all kinds of other things to it. I remember many years ago when a lot of people were getting pedometers of the old non connected type to do the same thing, and attaching the same values.

I think they will be even more popular when they have multiple inputs, sensors, etc, as well as integrate some type of GPS. I know some devices already do some of this, but to me the more they allow the device to figure out the difference between walking, running, NEAT vs actual EAT, etc, the more popular they will get. Though I wouldn't want a device to remind me to get off my butt some do, and as long as those types of features can be toggled they can't really hurt anything.

For the brief time I checked it out, Google Fit actually did a fairly accurate job figuring out what type of activity I was doing. Some of the calorie counts seemed suspect, but if I kept my phone in my pocket it did seem to be able to differentiate between just some quick steps and going out for a walk/run/bike.

Really some of the basic wearable devices won't do anything a decent old school pedometer won't, but they do have one big advantage, that being connectivity. And people, yes even people who want to get their 10,000 steps per day and/or other workouts, well.... people are still lazy. They don't want to write down or put their old school pedometer readings into a spreadsheet to figure out the calorie burns or trends. And in that respect, I can't blame them. Easy is easy, and if you get the same data easier, it leaves more time for other things.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Nevermind.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    OP's doctor thinks we are all delusional. As she pointed out that he/she told her that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss. Who in the world said that?

I would like to know under what context the actual discussion of 10k steps came up in a doctors office visit and are all doctors now supposed to be advising their patients to go out and buy a fitness tracker? Or just give suggestions on basic health benefits such as improving health by moving more.

I do know that there are insurance companies out there that give discounts on insurance premiums if a company supplies their employees with fitness trackers (mine did) and also their are life insurance companies that now will allow premium discounts if you actually wear one.

I do not see the harm in these benefits either.

I keep buying into the FAD, I bought my first pedometer two years ago and keep upgrading so I will say my money is well spent so far. I guess cellphones and tablets and PC's are a FAD too and yet we still buy those too.

Its technology, who doesn't love technology!

edited to add: as bizarre as this is, my company will pay me if I make certain goals with my fitness tracker (I don't use the companies but I have my own)... Anyone else have their companies pay them for fitness tracker use?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    OP's doctor thinks we are all delusional. As she pointed out that he/she told her that many people are under the illusion they are getting physically fit based solely on steps and weight loss. Who in the world said that?

I would like to know under what context the actual discussion of 10k steps came up in a doctors office visit and are all doctors now supposed to be advising their patients to go out and buy a fitness tracker? Or just give suggestions on basic health benefits such as improving health by moving more.

I do know that there are insurance companies out there that give discounts on insurance premiums if a company supplies their employees with fitness trackers (mine did) and also their are life insurance companies that now will allow premium discounts if you actually wear one.

I do not see the harm in these benefits either.

I keep buying into the FAD, I bought my first pedometer two years ago and keep upgrading so I will say my money is well spent so far. I guess cellphones and tablets and PC's are a FAD too and yet we still buy those too.

Its technology, who doesn't love technology!

That's all I've heard. Plus the benefits of getting up regularly so you're not sitting for hours on end.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what your goals are. Studies show the 10,000 steps a day recommendation improves blood pressure and other fitness measures.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2010/02/22/study-10000-steps-day-is-good-for.html

http://www.livescience.com/43956-walking-10000-steps-healthy.html