CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    673jew2arn3v.jpg

Morning all walkers. :)
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    d13g6airsbys.jpeg

Good morning from me and my cross dressing yellow lab........trying to be a chocolate lab!!
    Hope you all have a lovely day
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Ohhhh muddy boy!!!!! I raise you one muddy girl... b79lvn4yfu75.jpg
  • star1407
    Options
    Pmsl our dogs are meant to be together
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Todays walk took us to Roundway Down... as in the site of the battle of 1643. Both dogs are posing dutifully.
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g528767-d4241671-Reviews-Roundway_Down_Iron_Age_Hill_Fort-Devizes_Wiltshire_England.html

a0b1bsz7rf6d.jpg
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a bit in a year walking. Probably somewhere in the tune of 65-70 lbs. I started at a mile a day, after 30 days I went up to 2 miles a day, then all the way up to 4 miles a day at the fastest pace I could muster which was about 3.5mph. Before my back went out I was able to burn 1000 calories a day doing just walking at a very fast pace. Then I managed to burst/bulge 2-3 discs in my lower back. Doc says it was probably the repeated impact from walking so much and that I should A) get better shoes, and B) cut it down to 30 minutes a day. For me that's 1 mile and it isn't nearly enough of a burn for what I wanted to accomplish. Took me almost six weeks to recover from those injuries (I managed to do it twice to myself, 2nd time was much worse). Anyway, all I'm saying is if you have lower back problems be wary of the impact that walking does have, get really good shoes with impact absorption, and limit how much you do each day.

Now I spend 30 minutes a day on an elliptical/Bowflex M5 which is 0 impact for about a 500 calorie burn, then about 15 minutes body weight training for up to 150 calories of a burn, then 15-30 minutes walking for another 350ish calorie burn. Seems to keep me from injuring myself.

One thing I found about walking, it's good for losing weight because it's good cardio. It's good for toning your lower muscles in your legs, but it won't (unless you climb steep inclines a lot) strengthen the larger muscles in your upper legs much. For that you need to incorporate stairs or a steep incline, or a stair stepper or elliptical. YMMV.

I screwed up my back walking too much too. I was also adding in jogging spurts. I wasn't stretching after walks because I didn't think it did anything. Yeah, I know. My chiropractor (love him) gave me stretching exercises to do after every walk and even days I don't walk. It helps so much. Now I do yoga too.
  • star1407
    Options
    0zsh5mp4psdw.jpeg

Our local country park this morning, at the agility course. Got absolutely caked in mud and had to have a hot bath and lay down to recover lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    This has to be one of the best threads ever! Such happy dogs and owners and such beautiful places.

All these pics make me want to move back to the country.... One day.... when I win the lotto :blush:
  • star1407
    Options
    Christine, we should house swap for a couple of weeks lol, cheap holiday :D
    I've just bought Freddie the cutest little boots! He has really sensitive paws that get sore and bleed. I gave him a bath earlier and noticed how sore they looked so I thought I've got to get him some boots to protect his little feet. My husband HATES dogs in any kind of clothes lol, he's gonna go mad hee hee
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Christine, we should house swap for a couple of weeks lol, cheap holiday :D
    I've just bought Freddie the cutest little boots! He has really sensitive paws that get sore and bleed. I gave him a bath earlier and noticed how sore they looked so I thought I've got to get him some boots to protect his little feet. My husband HATES dogs in any kind of clothes lol, he's gonna go mad hee hee

Hehe good idea!! And you better be posting pictures of Freddie in his new booties :lol::heart:
  • star1407
    Options
    B) Freddie cool boots featuring soon :D
  • lgay14
    lgay14 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Rigel is jealous of all your "muddy" dogs. He has no water to dive into. He says it is still "too hard". It maybe hard but it is dangerous. We had a rain snow mix last night. This morning I was taking Rigel for his morning constitutional. I checked the deck and it was just wet. Checked the walkway and it was just wet. At least it was until the last paver. Apparently that one was solid ice. I went up and came down very hard on my lower back. I literally could not move for at least 10 minutes. Slowly I managed to get up on my knees and then upright. I think I have just badly bruised my lower back- sitting hurts laying down back or side hurts. As we are on 3 acres, our yard is not fenced and the one thing we have never gotten Rigel used to is the boundaries. As long as we are out with him he is fine. So I still need to take him out despite my back. And actually it does feel a bit better walking. So I guess my distance walking is on hold for at least a few days. It is the sofa and a heating pad for me. I'll have to really watch my calories now.
  • star1407
    Options
    Oh no!!! Rest up and keep warm. I hope you heal up nice and fast xx
  • lgay14
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone. Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine was spent mostly in front of the TV with a heating pad on my back. Not all was lost though. The Canadian Women's Curling Championships (affectionately known as the Scotties after the company that sponsors it) began this weekend and continue until next Sunday. Here in Canada all the draws are broadcast so it made for a very happy Linda. I took advantage of the sitting/laying and crocheted myself two new winter hats to go with a beautiful Alpaca scarf my daughter and son-in-law gave me for Christmas. I have an afghan for my sunroom to work on so that will keep me busy. I still had to walk Rigel and managed to do that. My back is much improved and we are out for 15 min at a time now. We managed 5 outings yesterday. I have Keenfit Walking Poles (Google them, they are awesome if you want to ramp up your walking calorie burn) Anyway for winter walking you remove the rubber tips and use only the bare carbide tips and this gave me more stability. I am so glad that we have walking paths on our 3 acres and that hubby cleared them with the snow blower before he left. Hopefully we don't get a dump of snow to fill them in again. No shovelling for me with this back and he won't be back until late March. Going to attempt some treadmill time this morning so we will see how that goes. Have a great week everyone. KEEP CALM AND WALK ON!
  • lgay14
    Options
    Woke up to a fresh dusting of snow this morning. It created another winter wonderland in the wooded area on our property. Made for a peaceful walk this morning.
    vppdnrkv1a0b.jpeg
    fbygfv9h1j9n.jpeg
  • lgay14
    Options
    Happy March everyone! Our March is coming in like a frigid lion. While it is sunny, we are dealing with windchills in the mid minus thirties. Thought we were done with that. Oh well. Three weeks into "my healthy me" program my scale numbers are down and my step count is just over 252,000 despite my back injury from my fall in the ice 10 days ago. So I am pleased with the results. My back is still an issue but more for endurance. Can't walk for more than about 20 min at a time so it is multiple short walks instead of two longer walks. My Nordic poles have been a big help too. I actually think Rigel likes the short ones better. He gets out more often. Now we are on the watch for our first signs of spring. Being able have lunch in my sunroom and for the Canada Geese to return to our area. KEEP CALM AND WALK ON!