Running on the spot at red lights

Options

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    I'm one of those obnoxious people who bounces around between tracks in bodyattack classes, so of course I can't keep still at lights. I don't jog in place though, I just tend to bounce or pace in circles or something. Once I get my momentum going I don't like stopping...

and here i thought i was the only weirdo who paced in circles

Aww, we're weird public behaviour twins
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those obnoxious people who bounces around between tracks in bodyattack classes, so of course I can't keep still at lights. I don't jog in place though, I just tend to bounce or pace in circles or something. Once I get my momentum going I don't like stopping...

and here i thought i was the only weirdo who paced in circles

Aww, we're weird public behaviour twins

:')
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The reason I hate lights has to do with GPS issues. When I'm stopped at a light, my GPS calculates that into my pace, making it appear much slower than it actually is. And coming to a light while doing fartleks can mess up a whole running session.

My GPS lets me stop it at lights. :p

What program do you use? I've been using MiCoach for years and it doesn't have that build in. Lately I've been using my Garmin that I can stop manually, but my routes are so ingrained I don't see a need to change them.

Depending on the Garmin model, it should have an 'autopause' feature you can turn on, that will automatically stop when you stop.

Not sure if real runners use autopause or not though, I'll have to get a ruling from the judge.

I use it... I'm probably not a real runner....
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

The reason I hate lights has to do with GPS issues. When I'm stopped at a light, my GPS calculates that into my pace, making it appear much slower than it actually is. And coming to a light while doing fartleks can mess up a whole running session.

My GPS lets me stop it at lights. :p

What program do you use? I've been using MiCoach for years and it doesn't have that build in. Lately I've been using my Garmin that I can stop manually, but my routes are so ingrained I don't see a need to change them.

Depending on the Garmin model, it should have an 'autopause' feature you can turn on, that will automatically stop when you stop.

Not sure if real runners use autopause or not though, I'll have to get a ruling from the judge.

I use it... I'm probably not a real runner....

Me too, but I don't wear shorts over my tights so I think I'm still ok.......
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've realised I'm not a real runner either after someone on another thread once said you have to have needed a mid-run poo to count.

I do use autopause though. But - pro tip, folks - never in a race. Because if you lose GPS signal briefly it can mess up your splits and you think you are on for a PR but actually you're not.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I stopped at a red light on my run this morning. A guy wearing tights ran by and into the intersection.

I shouted "J'ACCUSE!" at him, but he just looked bewildered.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    OK now I'm really confused. I don't wear Vibrams, capris, or skorts. I don't jig about at red lights, but that's usually because I'm clinging to the lamppost trying not to barf. However, I do wear shorts over my compression pants. So am I a real runner or not?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I've realised I'm not a real runner either after someone on another thread once said you have to have needed a mid-run poo to count.

I do use autopause though. But - pro tip, folks - never in a race. Because if you lose GPS signal briefly it can mess up your splits and you think you are on for a PR but actually you're not.

I have different Activity Profiles for races. I set the autopause for each profile so I don't don't have to remember to change the settings (at least it s possible on the Forerunner 630 - not sure about other models).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    OK now I'm really confused. I don't wear Vibrams, capris, or skorts. I don't jig about at red lights, but that's usually because I'm clinging to the lamppost trying not to barf. However, I do wear shorts over my compression pants. So am I a real runner or not?

difficult..

have you ever worn a tutu at a race?
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I didnt even run in place lol I'd just run up and down street/sidewalk until I could cross lol
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i wear what i want. i run how i want. holes in my shirts. skorts. capris. squats at lights. jumping jacks. sometimes i dont even stretch after a run! rules? pfft.
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's your jog, it's your exercise, you do what you like.
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't jog on the spot when meeting a red light. Because it is such a novelty where I live, and because I like to catch my breath. I also wear pink gloves despite being a bloke. I'm sure both things will wind some people up. Tough. and to the OP: You do whatever you like, seriously, nobody meaningful will blame you for it
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    SumnyUK wrote: »
    I also wear pink gloves despite being a bloke. I'm sure both things will wind some people up. Tough.
    But have you worn bright pink short split shorts in a race? That's how you can tell who are super cereal about their running.
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    SumnyUK wrote: »
    I also wear pink gloves despite being a bloke. I'm sure both things will wind some people up. Tough.
    But have you worn bright pink short split shorts in a race? That's how you can tell who are super cereal about their running.

@The_Enginerd, I was fund raising for Cancer Research and on the day before the race went out to buy pink shorts to match the purple Cancer Research UK t-shirt. The only ones they had at the shop were in the ladies' section, and they were REALLY short *lol*
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

difficult..

Noooo...... but I did once wear pink bunny ears.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

No! You must pick a side so you can be properly shamed by the opposing opinion.

Oh! Okay, in that case, real runners do their workouts on the track. o:)

I thought real runners ran in shorts in winter???

Pretty sure real runners have thumb holes in their shirts.

Get in... I have a couple of running tops with thumb holes :laugh:

i find it annoying when they don't have thumb holes. :angry:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

difficult..

No one over 21 should wear a tutu or clothes with words on the butt.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

difficult..

No one over 21 should wear a tutu unless they are running a raceor clothes with words on the butt.

FIFY

When will I ever have a chance to wear a tutu if not for a race? Don't take this from me.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

difficult..

No one over 21 should wear a tutu unless they are running a raceor clothes with words on the butt.

FIFY

When will I ever have a chance to wear a tutu if not for a race? Don't take this from me.

Ballet?