Grapefruit

Options

Replies

• DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you cut them in half and spread some honey or sprinkle brown sugar on top, then broil until its all nice and caramelized -- You are in for a treat. Try it warm sometime. It changes the experience entirely.

Ohhhhh my God that sounds amazing!!!! I've never tried it warm, I usually just cut it in half and then spoon out the sections without the membrane. I'm going to have to try that, I don't usually sweeten it, but a little honey and warm... I'm salivating. I know what I'm making for dessert tonight!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As an aside, grapefruit contains an enzyme that adversely interacts with a wide range of medications. Anyone on blood pressure medication should avoid grapefruit.

And the birth control pill.

Some depression meds also
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I slice it in half and roast mine without any sugar added. It's amazing when it's cooked. I like to eat it like an orange too.

I LOVE grapefruit. I wish it wasn't so expensive here.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    As an aside, grapefruit contains an enzyme that adversely interacts with a wide range of medications. Anyone on blood pressure medication should avoid grapefruit.

I like sour, so I eat grapefruit sour.

There is a spoon specifically designed for grapefruit

052.JPG

Where would you get something like that (spoon)?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I know the spoons are readily available with higher quality/cost silverware sets but I just did a quick search on amazon and it brought some less expensive ones up.

Eta I did a search for "grapefruit spoons"
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    KnM0107 wrote: »

And some antihistamines and antibioticsand also steroid pills.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I peel it with a knife. Then cut into segments over a bowl to catch the juice. Eat the segments and drink the juice.
    I bought a bag recently of ruby reds and I swear they tasted like they had sugar on them...sweetest I've ever had. A great way to get your vitamin C intake!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I add it to salad!

I do too! Delicious!!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »

And some antihistamines and antibioticsand also steroid pills.

And cholesterol lowering meds.... :'(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I peel it like an orange and just eat it that way.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I salt it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Plain, either sectioned or with a spoon is good.

But my favorite way is sectioned (peel the membrane off if you prefer) and combined with sliced avocado, and drizzled with either French dressing or a sweet mustard dressing. It make a very pretty presentation if you alternate grapefruit and avocado to form a ring on the plate, with each piece radiating out from the center, like a bicycle spoke. But it tastes just as good just tossed together in a bowl--if you do that, and you're peeling the membrane, you might want to catch any juice from the grapefruit and toss it the salad, or mix it with the salad dressing.

*ETA: forgot to say that if you're plating it as individual salads, you might like to put a few leaves of romaine or other lettuce or greens down first. You could add torn lettuce or greens to the tossed bowl version, as well.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I get the already cut up stuff in light syrup. Spoon out a portion and mix with pineapple for really tasty/sweet treat.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    If you cut them in half and spread some honey or sprinkle brown sugar on top, then broil until its all nice and caramelized -- You are in for a treat. Try it warm sometime. It changes the experience entirely.

This. It's really lovely.
    I also eat it raw, like you would an orange.
    I get prepackaged containers for hiking, in light syrup. It's super refreshing. Tried bringing a whole grapefruit once and.... wasps.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the bitterness. Mmmmm. Have loved pink grapefruit since I was a little girl. Adding sugar would be an abomination!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I third the salad suggestion. My family's favorite winter salad is mixed greens, avocado slices & pink grapefruit sections in a quick homemade Dijon vinaigrette. My daughters inherited the bitter flavor receptors!
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    Love all these posts. I am going to buy some this weekend and try it. I think I will start with the broiled grapefruit first. Sounds delicious.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    what the h***? people put sugar on grapefruit????

I eat it plain, cut in half, use a grapefruit knife (yes those exist too) which has a curved tip to cut round the base of the segments, then use te same knife to separate the segments from the inner skins. Then use a grapefruit spoon - I have ones without the serrations (which I dislike as they can catch on your tongue), just more elongated than a normal spoon to eat.

an excellent refreshing start to a day. Personally I prefer white grapefruit as it has that sour taste (which DOES NOT indicate unripeness) to pink ones.

I've not tried it in salads but you've made me want to go any buy some!!

As an aside, my gran once made homemade grapefruit juice by boiling down the skins. My sister was being too polite in telling her it didn't need sugar. My sister has never been forgiven and my lips are still smarting.........
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half and eat it with a spoon. Love it with on it's own but then again I like sour over sweet. BTW I NEED that spoon!!! :)
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    JHALLISGETTINGsmall Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bought two grapefruits over the weekend. Still haven't had a chance to use them but planning to try the broiling tonight as a dessert. Will let you all know!