Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What is clean eating?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Okay I have to ask. What's this butter in coffee thing all about you keep referring to? Is this craze yet to reach the UK, cos it's the first I've heard of it? *gags*
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Okay I have to ask. What's this butter in coffee thing all about you keep referring to? Is this craze yet to reach the UK, cos it's the first I've heard of it? *gags*

http://jptrainingsystems.com/dave-asprey-a-21st-century-snake-oil-salesman/

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2014/12/why-bulletproof-dietcoffee-is-based-on.html
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I want to know the missing words behind you!

IFLY
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've had to admit that we do not live in a clearly ordered universe. Even terms that we think are universally understood turn out to have fuzzy edges. Take "furniture" for instance. We all think we know what that means, right? But how do you classify a "stool"? Is it furniture or something else? The big stuff, like sofas, we all agree, but for people who make a living classifying, debates over what a "stool" really is creates ever sharpening definitions.

I actually argue about definitions all the time in my real life job. Maybe that's why this serves as a fun break.

Definitions are important. Words mean things. Definitions delineate ideas.

A well formed definition means that much thought has gone into the meanings of the terms. Wars have been fought over meanings. Fortunes have been won and lost based on meanings.

True, but not all words have definitive meanings in isolation. Sometimes you need context to get to the actual meaning of a particular word in a particular situation.

Wait. I'm getting deja vu..... hang on. Is that sort of like, "healthy and unhealthy cannot be defined in isolation of a single food? It is the context of the overall diet that matters"? No, that can't be... ;)

That way lies madness. Next you'll be saying that people can eat Oreos (provided they're cleaned, kept in their natural state/aren't processed, don't come from a box, and are found on the outer edge of the grocery store) and can still lose weight....

zn5bdg6llc5z.jpg

Of course you realize, this means that we all must now try to fit 5 in to break the MFP record...

K

21xpwwv9bmap.jpeg

You too, you ...IFLY
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    And then finally, I think there are at least three types of "clean eaters" and probably more.
    • There's the "minimally processed" group, the
    • "no sign of industrialization" group which would then incorporate organically grown, non-GMO, and no use of chemicals in food preparation, and the
    • ethical group, who may be vegetarian, may avoid dairy for the sake of the cows, and quiz the grocer on the state of their egg-laying chickens

Venn-Diagram-Graphic-02.png

Hence, the difficulty nailing down a common definition. In the middle of the Venn diagram is my hypothetical Kale.

Some ethical "clean eaters" may reject your high alps kale for not being local. I've seen locally grown food incorporated in some definitions of "clean."

Personally, I think that ethical and environmental concerns in food production are perfectly valid issues, but for me they are almost a separate subject entirely. For instance I go out of my way to source eggs from hens where I know the living conditions comply to certain standards, but that has nothing to do with me thinking those eggs are any "cleaner" than others. :neutral:

I agree entirely. But I've seen them mixed together or heard arguments about how stressed or unhappy animals somehow produce food that is less good for us or less clean than food from animals in less stressful conditions.
  • xblue07
    xblue07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always took clean eating as to mean low processed foods and eating as whole and healthy as possible. Like grilling a chicken breast versus eating a chicken patty or eating plain traditional oatmeal with fresh grapes versus the flavored instant varieties. That was the lifestyle change my mom made and it worked very well for her.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    xblue07 wrote: »
    I always took clean eating as to mean low processed foods and eating as whole and healthy as possible. Like grilling a chicken breast versus eating a chicken patty or eating plain traditional oatmeal with fresh grapes versus the flavored instant varieties. That was the lifestyle change my mom made and it worked very well for her.

Cleanliness aside, grapes in oatmeal? My mind is rejecting this combination.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I dunno...I eat raisins in oatmeal pretty regularly....just a bit 'juicier' version
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I dunno...I eat raisins in oatmeal pretty regularly....just a bit 'juicier' version

That's perfectly logical. They're two perfectly good foods, I just never considered grapes as an oatmeal ingredient. I am very set in my ways.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

That's perfectly logical. They're two perfectly good foods, I just never considered grapes as an oatmeal ingredient. I am very set in my ways.

Oh agreed...I've never really thought of it either. But I guess it makes a bit of sense *shrug*

I'll give (almost) anything a whirl once.
  • CollieFit
    edited February 2016
    Options

My mind also totally rejected the "strawberries with mushrooms" combo that was picture-posted previously... LOL

PS I've had grapes in my porridge though. :smile:
  • janejellyroll
    Options

My mind also totally rejected the "strawberries with mushrooms" combo that was picture-posted previously... LOL

PS I've had grapes in my porridge though. :smile:

I would try grapes in oatmeal. I would never try strawberries and mushrooms.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

http://jptrainingsystems.com/dave-asprey-a-21st-century-snake-oil-salesman/

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2014/12/why-bulletproof-dietcoffee-is-based-on.html

Oh ... my ... ... :s
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Seems we've been aware of this on 'the island' but it just hadn't appeared on my radar yet....

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/nov/25/bulletproof-coffee-is-adding-butter-to-your-morning-coffee-a-step-too-far

"The most noticeable thing was not the taste – which was like a richer, buttery (go figure!) version of milky coffee – but the texture: in particular, the thin layer of oil that coated my lips. With each gulp, the coffee got worse – the once-uniform liquid quickly separated into a dark base topped with little droplets of yellow grease, and it was accompanied by a weird and pungent smell..."

**gags**
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    Seems we've been aware of this on 'the island' but it just hadn't appeared on my radar yet....

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/nov/25/bulletproof-coffee-is-adding-butter-to-your-morning-coffee-a-step-too-far

"The most noticeable thing was not the taste – which was like a richer, buttery (go figure!) version of milky coffee – but the texture: in particular, the thin layer of oil that coated my lips. With each gulp, the coffee got worse – the once-uniform liquid quickly separated into a dark base topped with little droplets of yellow grease, and it was accompanied by a weird and pungent smell..."

**gags**

Yeah that's my reaction too...of course I drink my coffee black, and the thought of ANYTHING creamy in my coffee isn't terribly appetizing.

But yeah this is one fad I hope dies a short, quick death. I can't possibly imagine getting well-rounded nutrition, when up to 1/3 of your daily calorie allotment is coming in the form of oil-slicked coffee.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

**gags**

Yeah that's my reaction too...of course I drink my coffee black, and the thought of ANYTHING creamy in my coffee isn't terribly appetizing.

But yeah this is one fad I hope dies a short, quick death. I can't possibly imagine getting well-rounded nutrition, when up to 1/3 of your daily calorie allotment is coming in the form of oil-slicked coffee.

Same here. I think non-black coffee is nasty, but beyond that I think wasting the calories by dumping them in coffee or, as some posters claim, consuming tons of calories from coconut oil in coffee is a sad thing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

**gags**

I'd much rather drink my coffee without the disgusting grease slick and save the butter for my toast.
  • xblue07
    xblue07 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know it sounds a little weird, but my mom would slice up a couple grapes and sprinkle cinnamon on top as opposed to adding granulated sugar or anything to sweeten.

• bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I think we put far too many labels on everything. Everyone is either cutting bulking or maintaining, eating clean or flexible dieting. Too much emphasis is put on macros and body types, rather than overall health.

We're all human, and yet you rarely see people say, "I'm just living day to day trying to be healthy and happy". I think goals and labels can be great, but sometimes I think we go too far and take things like "clean eating" too literally.

I'm in school right now, and while I eat at a slight caloric deficit, I try to just eat healthy so my body is fueled. I have a sweet tooth and indulge in things probably more often than I should, but everyone makes mistakes. I try to fit in kale, spinach, seeds and micro dense foods everywhere I can and just focus on being a healthy functioning organism. :)

/rant
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know it sounds a little weird, but my mom would slice up a couple grapes and sprinkle cinnamon on top as opposed to adding granulated sugar or anything to sweeten.

Well raisins are just dried grapes, so it makes sense.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think we put far too many labels on everything. Everyone is either cutting bulking or maintaining, eating clean or flexible dieting. Too much emphasis is put on macros and body types, rather than overall health.

We're all human, and yet you rarely see people say, "I'm just living day to day trying to be healthy and happy". I think goals and labels can be great, but sometimes I think we go too far and take things like "clean eating" too literally.

I'm in school right now, and while I eat at a slight caloric deficit, I try to just eat healthy so my body is fueled. I have a sweet tooth and indulge in things probably more often than I should, but everyone makes mistakes. I try to fit in kale, spinach, seeds and micro dense foods everywhere I can and just focus on being a healthy functioning organism. :)

/rant

I mostly agree. But as far as the bolded part, macros (specifically fat and protein) are important for overall health and body composition. The balance of macros is, to a large degree, personal preference (I've seen everything from keto to 80/10/10 with 80 being % carbs), but it is a pretty good idea to know what works best for you and to pay attention to those macros.

(I do disagree with somatotypes, but I also think there's value in paying attention to one's approximate % body fat, even if it's just by visual assessment).

ETA: None of this applies directly to "eating clean." You can eat "clean" or not within just about any macro profile.