General Rant

Options
2»

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the movies enough to care how many calories are in the popcorn. I just get it, eat it, log it the best I can and move on.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    My local cinemas don't allow taking food and drink in - you have to be sneaky or the snack police nab you lol

I have never been to one that allows it. At our local theater we regularly see people eating entire fast food meals they bought somewhere else LOL. We usually bring our own candy if we want any. Bottled water too. If we buy popcorn it's eaten by the time the movie starts.

Gotta have a big movie purse.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I sometimes buy popcorn at the movies, but I don't even bother tracking the calories. Just take however many calories you had left in the day, multiply them by two, and set your sodium count at infinity.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    My local cinemas don't allow taking food and drink in - you have to be sneaky or the snack police nab you lol

I have never been to one that allows it. At our local theater we regularly see people eating entire fast food meals they bought somewhere else LOL. We usually bring our own candy if we want any. Bottled water too. If we buy popcorn it's eaten by the time the movie starts.

I snuck sushi into a theatre once during my wild and crazy youth, this ultimately ended up being a mistake since I accidentally ate the entire glob of wasabi in one go...
  • snarkytravels
    snarkytravels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you bring anything other than a tiny purse into my local movie theater they check inside it. Too many shootings...
    I'd just assume anything you get at a theater is way too many calories and endeavor to eat healthily the rest of the week.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the rare that HAS to eat during a movie. Even at home we make a pretty big deal about it with snacks and wine.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    Email the movie chain you go to. They should be able to help. For now you can just estimate.

Yep thats what I did in the end, awaiting a reply. Drinks are easy enough to estimate size and its easy to find nutritional info elsewhere but popcorn is really difficult because every cinema and different countries have different sizes.

To estimate you need to know roughly the volume the box holds. What is a medium here may be a small somewhere else. We don't have the large buckets that overseas have. I thought about taking the box home and popping my own to have a guess but felt a bit weird doing that - don't want to be the weird lady taking the rubbish out in the handbag :p

Anyone in NZ know what a Reading cinema or Hoyts Medium volume might be?
    I guessed around 5 cups popped?

Bit late to the party, but I logged a small at Event Cinema (Taranaki) at 7 cups - worked out to be 670 cals. I'd be guessing a medium would be twice that. So not worth it, next time will sneak in some home popped :smile:
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    lalabrucey wrote: »
    Email the movie chain you go to. They should be able to help. For now you can just estimate.

Yep thats what I did in the end, awaiting a reply. Drinks are easy enough to estimate size and its easy to find nutritional info elsewhere but popcorn is really difficult because every cinema and different countries have different sizes.

To estimate you need to know roughly the volume the box holds. What is a medium here may be a small somewhere else. We don't have the large buckets that overseas have. I thought about taking the box home and popping my own to have a guess but felt a bit weird doing that - don't want to be the weird lady taking the rubbish out in the handbag :p

Anyone in NZ know what a Reading cinema or Hoyts Medium volume might be?
    I guessed around 5 cups popped?

Bit late to the party, but I logged a small at Event Cinema (Taranaki) at 7 cups - worked out to be 670 cals. I'd be guessing a medium would be twice that. So not worth it, next time will sneak in some home popped :smile:

Ah cheers for that. Reading cinema emailed me back (similar sizes to Event/Hoyts/Rialto I think) and they are going to look at putting box sizes on their website ...Yay!

I think I might go in and ask them for an empty box and risk being labelled the weird lady... I'll post back with my results for anyone interested.

I dont go often enough to the movies, but when I do dammit I want my chemical coated salty goodness!!

Seen some really cool tips here though, thanks everyone. I think I am going to have to buy a handbag and get clever at smuggling haha :p

L.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Went to the movies on Saturday. I brought pistachios with me. Husband ordered popcorn with extra butter; it was so salty it was inedible. Then he got some pretzel bites with "cheese" sauce. Pretzel was ok, cheese stuff I didn't even taste. I was very happy to have the nuts with me!
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well the cinema were kind enough to weigh it for me and here is the answer:

For Reading Cinema NZ:

Junior- 80g
    Medium- 140g
    Large- 295g
    Jumbo- 315g

- I dont know if this includes the box
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about being the weird lady - trust me, there will always be someone weirder!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »

I snuck sushi into a theatre once during my wild and crazy youth, this ultimately ended up being a mistake since I accidentally ate the entire glob of wasabi in one go...

Ouch! I cannot even imagine how badly that hurt!