Beginner Needs Help With Keto/Low Carb

Options
kaeporaketo
kaeporaketo Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi there!

At a recent checkup at the doctor's I was recommended to try a low carb diet in the 1200-1400 range. I did my own research and put together a new diet for myself that seems to be going great so far (but it is only my first week).

I guess I can start by saying I am currently 5'2 and 240 pounds, lightly active with a daily desk job. My goal is to definitely drop 100 pounds and anything more would be wonderful.

I've been eating around 1200 calories a day which includes lots of vegetables, meat, fat, and some dairy. In total, I am averaging about 20 grams of carbs, 100 grams of fat, and 80 grams of protein per day.

I am planning on incorporating some high intensity workouts a few times a week as well.

Is this a good track to be started on for my weight loss goal? So far I feel great, no hunger or loss of energy, no 'keto flu' either. If I an provide anything else do let me know. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Great! You are right on track. When keto flu begins, take extra Himalayan sea salt. :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    That is perfect. After a few weeks, up your carbs to 40 grams and cut back a little on the fat. You can't get adequate nutrition with just 20 grams of carbs. My doc had me on 50 carbs, 100 protein and the rest fat and the weight fell off. I really learned to eat clean and keeping it off is easier. And the difference between keto and low carb is that there is 0 carbs with keto and it is very unhealthy.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start. I have been in ketosis for about 8 months, and 20g of fat is what I shoot for too. :)

If you do hit keto flu (aka low electrolytes) add sodium, potassium and magnesium to your diet. Many of us ketofiles supplement those in the the beginning of a very LCHF diet, and many continue to do so. Sodium is a big one. If you can keep that one up then the Mg and K supplements often aren't needed. Sodium of 3000-5000mg per day is where most of us start.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. It is where most of us ketofiles hang out. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    That is perfect. After a few weeks, up your carbs to 40 grams and cut back a little on the fat. You can't get adequate nutrition with just 20 grams of carbs. My doc had me on 50 carbs, 100 protein and the rest fat and the weight fell off. I really learned to eat clean and keeping it off is easier. And the difference between keto and low carb is that there is 0 carbs with keto and it is very unhealthy.

A ketogenic diet is when most of your energy is coming from fat oxidation. Most people eating 50g of carbs per day will be in ketsosis with those eating fewer carbs, like 20g of carbs, being deeper in ketosis. The body needs near 150g of glucose per day, less for smaller people and women. People eating low carb (100-150g or carbs per day or less) will be making more ketones than the average person.

There is no need to increase carbs or cut back on fat unless that is the OP's personal preference.

Chances are that you actually are in ketosis right now. Happily nutritional ketosis is healthy and safe.

There are some people who strive for close to zero carb but zero carbs is actually impossible since meat (especially rare), eggs and dairy still have some carbs in them.
  • kaeporaketo
    kaeporaketo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for the great advice!
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Actually the body has no need for carbs at all. The body will convert fat to glucose for fuel.