Cutting Techniques Post Bulk

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    I'm on a small cut too and my lifts are so bad right now. It's incredible what just a few missing calories can do. But I just want to maintain my muscle now, my main goal is staying lean and eating to keep at a certain weight and fuel great workouts.

So challenging in itself. Stupid food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I'm on a small cut too and my lifts are so bad right now. It's incredible what just a few missing calories can do. But I just want to maintain my muscle now, my main goal is staying lean and eating to keep at a certain weight and fuel great workouts.

Sorry if I missed this, but do you generally prefer to transition to maintenance for a few weeks/month prior to going back on a cut?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am entertaining starting a bulk around July. I am currently recomping but my body fat is probably now low enough to bulk. And by July it defiantly will be low enough.

I have been doing a lot of reading and a little pre planning for it. For the last week and a half I tried eating at a small deficit (90ish calories) just to see what a cut would be like while lifting weights. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT!!?? Today the last few reps were brutal. Does it get better with time?

No, it actually gets worse TBH. Lifting in a deficit sucks and that's just something you have to get adjusted to.
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yea, it sucks.

That is what I was afraid of...I may have to do 1-2 maintenance days a week during a cut - if I do a bulk and cut cycle.

Refeeds are common but your 90 cal deficit for 1 day shouldn't really have had an impact on your lifts. It was probably just a bad day. Most people find on a cut that it takes about 3 to 4 weeks before they really feel it due to glycogen depletion in the muscles. At that point many will do a high carb refeed day or two to try to replete the glycogen.

It was a 90 cal deficit a day for a week and a half. It was an experiment to get a little taste of what I am getting myself into. I know I can handle a bulk it is the cut I am worried about :wink:.
  • Springfield1970
    psulemon wrote: »

Sorry if I missed this, but do you generally prefer to transition to maintenance for a few weeks/month prior to going back on a cut?

Well I gained weight over the holiday period and was on a total break from exercise, so I went from a fat bulk to a cut!
    I'd forgotten how much I can eat for pleasure and how fast it packs on!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited February 2016
    I am entertaining starting a bulk around July. I am currently recomping but my body fat is probably now low enough to bulk. And by July it defiantly will be low enough.

I have been doing a lot of reading and a little pre planning for it. For the last week and a half I tried eating at a small deficit (90ish calories) just to see what a cut would be like while lifting weights. HOW DO YOU GUYS DO IT!!?? Today the last few reps were brutal. Does it get better with time?

No, it actually gets worse TBH. Lifting in a deficit sucks and that's just something you have to get adjusted to.
    Yea, it sucks.

That is what I was afraid of...I may have to do 1-2 maintenance days a week during a cut - if I do a bulk and cut cycle.

Refeeds are common but your 90 cal deficit for 1 day shouldn't really have had an impact on your lifts. It was probably just a bad day. Most people find on a cut that it takes about 3 to 4 weeks before they really feel it due to glycogen depletion in the muscles. At that point many will do a high carb refeed day or two to try to replete the glycogen.

It was a 90 cal deficit a day for a week and a half. It was an experiment to get a little taste of what I am getting myself into. I know I can handle a bulk it is the cut I am worried about :wink:.

A 90 cal deficit for a few weeks (or severval months, to be fair) is not sufficient to lose strength on a cut. Given sensible programming, stress management, good sleep, hydration, etc.

Believing it will make you lose strength however, will make you lose strength on any cut. Too many people think they'll get weaker instantly and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...

A long term moderate cut, or a shorter-term drastic cut? You would probably lose some strength unless you managed it really well by getting all your (aforementioned) ducks in a row.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    jimmmer wrote: »

Yea, it sucks.

A 90 cal deficit for a few weeks (or severval months, to be fair) is not sufficient to lose strength on a cut. Given sensible programming, stress management, good sleep, hydration, etc.

Believing it will make you lose strength however, will make you lose strength on any cut. Too many people think they'll get weaker instantly and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy...

A long term moderate cut, or a shorter-term drastic cut? You would probably lose some strength unless you managed it really well by getting all your (aforementioned) ducks in a row.

This. I don't notice any strength loss (in fact as far as pure strength goes I still gain) some way into my cut. I usually start to notice in about month three.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    All right. I am going to trust you guys and go for it! My projected bulk start is July - earlier if I feel like I am getting too lean.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Bump. Want to find this easily again.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Just want to point out that i love threads like this.

I agree. Im having a blast reading all of this. So much useful information and everyone's adding to it rather than trying to take away. Also must ask, why is everyone typing "following" it's the first time I've seen it in a thread.
  • arditarose
    jessef593 wrote: »

I agree. Im having a blast reading all of this. So much useful information and everyone's adding to it rather than trying to take away. Also must ask, why is everyone typing "following" it's the first time I've seen it in a thread.

I don't know. Just a way for people to bump but also say "hi guys, I'm here...this is awesome"?

Anywho. I'm done. I knew I'd be coming back to this thread when it was time.

I'm going to enjoy the weekend while I get my plan going and start a cut next week. I will definitely be using/combining a lot of the advice and techniques listed.
  • psuLemon
    arditarose wrote: »

I don't know. Just a way for people to bump but also say "hi guys, I'm here...this is awesome"?

I'm going to enjoy the weekend while I get my plan going and start a cut next week. I will definitely be using/combining a lot of the advice and techniques listed.

My condolences to the loss of calories. But best of luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

My condolences to the loss of calories. But best of luck.

Thank you! It's Friday so I'm not going to get all twisted up about it over the weekend. I might even enjoy a last supper.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    People type "following" because MFP allows you to check or search through posts you have posted on - so if you don't post alot, it can make it easy to find an older thread for which you are looking. Now when I am ready to re-visit this discussion in a few months, I'll be able to find it. :smile:
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Following :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I officially started cutting March 7th- I hit 181.5 for my bulk on the 4th- and I need to drop weight by the 13 of May- so I just decided not to hold out any more- I'm back down to 172.7 as of today- so I'm pleased with that- I dropped off anywhere from a high 2700 (ranging upwards of 3K) and back down to 2000- 2 is manageable and still will allow me to drop- I don't have a lot of time to reverse out of it with maintenance- so I just picked a reasonable number and I'll go with that- I think I'm going to drop another 200 calories next week and I've started trying to squeeze in more cardio/HIIT workouts wherever I could to help lose weight. about 250$ on the line for me to drop my weight.
    Right now I'm 7% behind the leader of the weight loss group. GO GO GO- external motivation to cut!!
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2016
    Just to add I hit a PB on my hip thrusts on a 100-200 deficit, after a 5k set of sprints, I lifted 100kg(220lb) for my third set of 7.

I was surprised, as I've been cutting since mid January. But the last couple of weeks it's been very small, like a third of a pound a week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    WifeMomDVM wrote: »
    People type "following" because MFP allows you to check or search through posts you have posted on - so if you don't post alot, it can make it easy to find an older thread for which you are looking. Now when I am ready to re-visit this discussion in a few months, I'll be able to find it. :smile:

How do you go about searching for threads you've posted on? Since I'll definitely be coming back to this one once I start my cut in the next month or two.

• arditarose
    Just to add I hit a PB on my hip thrusts on a 100-200 deficit, after a 5k set of sprints, I lifted 100kg(220lb) for my third set of 7.

I was surprised, as I've been cutting since mid January. But the last couple of weeks it's been very small, like a third of a pound a week.

Nice. I love to hear this stuff. The biggest reason I'm sad about cutting is feeling like I'm not going to have any fun in the gym.
  • psuLemon
    WifeMomDVM wrote: »

How do you go about searching for threads you've posted on? Since I'll definitely be coming back to this one once I start my cut in the next month or two.

You can start it and it will be in your favorites or you can click on the bell. That has all the responses. Unfortunately, someone has to post after you to see what you posted in.
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    Sorry if I missed this earlier on, but is anyone experimenting with IF for their cut? I finished bulking late February and unintentionally wound up eating at/around maintenance (i.e- I wasn't really logging). So I've gradually, over the past few weeks now, gotten myself down to 2,000 calories. Having been at 3,000 during my bulk (which was glorious), I was really struggling to keep it at 2,000. But I just started IF this week, and it seems to help? I might wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night, but it typically subsides and then I'm good until 10am when I go into my feeding stage.

I work out first thing in the morning, too. I just bought BCAA powder the other day and as soon as I'm healed up from this hand injury, I'm going to try that and see if it gives me more energy. My lifts too, have sucked pretty hard since cutting-- during IF or not! :\