If calories are king, I got more questions

Options
I got talking to a nutritionist this weekend. Since I'm not well versed on this subject I like to learn and I come here to confirm few things.

He talked about that if you focus strictly on calories counting it won't work and you might not lose weight healthily. He goes on to say that if your dietician says it's all about calories in and calories out just run from there. (I thought this was the only universal thing and applies to all mortals)

He went on to say that there are ways that you can strictly trigger fat loss. Then goes on to tell me that some veggies are so low in calories that there is no point of even counting them. (at this point I'm thinking damn, I've spent so much time measuring lettuce)

Moving on, he talks about Carbs reloading and having a high fat diet and very low carb diet and then no carb, medium carb and high carb days.

Now I'm a vegetarian how the heck am I suppose to have a low carb day? What do I eat all day?

So far ive lost weight weight down 14lbs since Jan 1 but I'd like it to be a bit better and I'd prefer if it's strictly fat but I've learned it's not possible?

Like what the heck? How do I learn it all. So many things I don't know?
Anyone care to shed some light please. I feel so unenlightened when it comes to this subject that I just start absorbing everything others tell me if they have even slight confidence in what they are talking about.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Calorie is king - but other things matter in health and long term adherence.

Image someone knows that to lose weight they need to lower their calories - so they eat so little that they are losing 4-6 lbs a week. And not getting enough nutrition to have their body function normally. See? Calories alone aren't all you need to lose weight in a healthy manner.

It doesn't negate that calories are king.

Forget all the low carb stuff for now.. Focus on eating the food you choose at a calorie deficit - AND getting enough protein, fats and vitamins and you can learn about the rest.

Learn the majors first.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    I got talking to a nutritionist this weekend. Since I'm not well versed on this subject I like to learn and I come here to confirm few things.

He talked about that if you focus strictly on calories counting it won't work and you might not lose weight healthily. He goes on to say that if your dietician says it's all about calories in and calories out just run from there. (I thought this was the only universal thing and applies to all mortals)

Oh it will work but will it make you the healthiest you can be? That's where nutritional balance and hitting your macro and micro nutritional requirements comes in

He went on to say that there are ways that you can strictly trigger fat loss. Then goes on to tell me that some veggies are so low in calories that there is no point of even counting them. (at this point I'm thinking damn, I've spent so much time measuring lettuce)

Well it's hard to overeat celery and lettuce but it's still worth counting as a habit I think, although you could get away without it I suppose ... I just count everything out of habit, accepting the 20% margin for error and monitoring my body over time. There is no negative calorie food though, TEF is accounted for

Moving on, he talks about Carbs reloading and having a high fat diet and very low carb diet and then no carb, medium carb and high carb days.

Carb reloading has it's place - elite athletes really. You can focus on carbs if it helps you stick to your calorie defecit and you enjoy that type of diet (noun) or not if you don't - there's no rule

Now I'm a vegetarian how the heck am I suppose to have a low carb day? What do I eat all day?
    Don't because it doesn't suit you

So far ive lost weight weight down 14lbs since Jan 1 but I'd like it to be a bit better and I'd prefer if it's strictly fat but I've learned it's not possible?

all scale weight loss is a mixture of fat, water and LBM - limit the LBM loss by adequate protein and progressive resistance work - it's about all you can do really

aNobody knows it all, and if you do then you're wrong - also it keeps changing with ongoing scientific research - you don't need to know it all unless you're interested specifically. All you need to know is if my calories in are less than my calories out I lose weight - that's the big thing. Major in the minors if you wish but they are on the margins of success and for those who are specifically interested in them

Anyone care to shed some light please. I feel so unenlightened when it comes to this subject that I just start absorbing everything others tell me if they have even slight confidence in what they are talking about.

You have learned a damn sight more in the short time you've been on MFP than you knew before. And more than most of the population know. You're doing alright.

avoid nutritionists would be a good piece of advice I think - they are generally an unregistered mixed bag with no professional recognition .. in fact one can qualify in an online course with lots of derp and woo :)
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    To extend the metaphor, if calories are king, then macros are the powerful nobles.

I'm not aware of any vegetable sources of protein that are low in carbs. Mushrooms and spinach have the highest protein:carb ratios of any vegetables I know of, but they are still more carb than protein. You said that you are vegetarian, not vegan, right? If you eat eggs and dairy then those can help you meet your macros.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I don't actively weigh many some veggies, so he got at least one point right. I still count them though, I just may be off by a factor of 2-3 and it doesn't matter. (6 vs 18 calories for example).
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Some veggies, like cucumbers, are considered negative calories. Also, remember, healthy fats contain no carbs, yet lots of calories! ;)

• viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Oh it will work but will it make you the healthiest you can be? That's where nutritional balance and hitting your macro and micro nutritional requirements comes in

Well it's hard to overeat celery and lettuce but it's still worth counting as a habit I think, although you could get away without it I suppose ... I just count everything out of habit, accepting the 20% margin for error and monitoring my body over time. There is no negative calorie food though, TEF is accounted for

Carb reloading has it's place - elite athletes really. You can focus on carbs if it helps you stick to your calorie defecit and you enjoy that type of diet (noun) or not if you don't - there's no rule

Don't because it doesn't suit you

all scale weight loss is a mixture of fat, water and LBM - limit the LBM loss by adequate protein and progressive resistance work - it's about all you can do really

aNobody knows it all, and if you do then you're wrong - also it keeps changing with ongoing scientific research - you don't need to know it all unless you're interested specifically. All you need to know is if my calories in are less than my calories out I lose weight - that's the big thing. Major in the minors if you wish but they are on the margins of success and for those who are specifically interested in them

You have learned a damn sight more in the short time you've been on MFP than you knew before. And more than most of the population know. You're doing alright.

avoid nutritionists would be a good piece of advice I think - they are generally an unregistered mixed bag with no professional recognition .. in fact one can qualify in an online course with lots of derp and woo :)

oh wow damnn -thanks a lot.

If you lived closed I'll take you and learn all from you. lol I just want to learn enough so I know that I have a basic foundation of understanding so I don't get fazed by anyone who says anything.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find the choose my plate campaign to be very helpful. MFP can help you figure out what is happening with your total calories. For health, put a variety on your plate. I find filling my plate half full of vegetables pretty well guarantees the rest of the plate will work out.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

For all the self-appointed "experts" out there, smile and nod, and learn from experience. Your own experience trumps all.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Then goes on to tell me that some veggies are so low in calories that there is no point of even counting them. (at this point I'm thinking damn, I've spent so much time measuring lettuce)

Kind of.. A cup of romaine lettuce has 8 calories. Most normal-ish people are going to eat no more than two cups in a meal. At 16 calories, you're well within normal tolerance of most other food, and can comfortably bury those calories elsewhere. The issue is that if you take that approach with those vegetables, you'll be tempted to not log other stuff. Because this is all predicated on accurate and honest logging, you should log everything.

He is correct that you can eat your calories and still be malnourished--If you eat twinkies and potato chips to your deficit goal, you will lose weight. You'll lose hair, lean body mass, and teeth, but you'll also lose weight. This is why you have macros and micros. Calories fuel your body, and your macros and micros nourish it.

The rest of what he said, take with a grain of salt. There are no real standards for "nutritionists", and it ranges from people who are genuinely interested in evidence-based information to woo-peddling whack jobs who got their credentials from some internet ayurvedic institute.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    To extend the metaphor, if calories are king, then macros are the powerful nobles.

I'm not aware of any vegetable sources of protein that are low in carbs. Mushrooms and spinach have the highest protein:carb ratios of any vegetables I know of, but they are still more carb than protein. You said that you are vegetarian, not vegan, right? If you eat eggs and dairy then those can help you meet your macros.

These days there are so many names for so many things I don't know what will my definition would be.

I don't eat any kind of meat or eggs or fish- but I do eat cheese and drink milk. Don't know what that is called. Back in the day I would be considered vegetarian.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Lacto-vegetarian.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't king. They simply are. They measure energy and all changes in state, including losing mass, require that energy changes, and calorie counting is a way to keep track of these changes so they end up reflecting your body being forced to dump mass - carbon dioxide and water which are about as low an energy state as you can get for matter - because it no longer holds energy your body can extract. It does nothing to guarantee your health improves, though for the obese and even for many of the overweight, losing weight is almost certain to improve health markers.

The question is kind of like asking, if inches are king, why can't measuring a building tell me if it has beautiful architecture? Oh sure, certain proportions are often nicer, and you can't make an impressive Gothic style cathedral that is terribly impressive at 4 feet high. Weight loss is kind of like that 4 foot high cathedral issue.