coffee instead of soda?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, black coffee (or count the milk) and give yourself a break ...you should be resting and recovering not worrying about weight which has plenty time to come off

I would imagine a breakfast based on protein and carbs would help more ...try scrambled egg with ham and veg on toast or similar rather than a low fat yogurt and piece of fruit
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    drink what you want as long as it fits.

and you just had a baby.

relax.

i drink at least one diet soda a day.and coffee.

the coffee is what keeps me from killing people, though.
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can't cut off coffee but I did cut off the cream. I use Silk Almond creamer. Less calories, no dairy, gluten free, only 3 sugars. Different flavors as well. Vanilla, hazelnut & caramel. :) it's delicious. & usually just drink coffee on my days off which is two days a week. I used to drink it all day everyday.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee and sweeten it with stevia. Most of the artificial sweeteners have health risks and stevia does not. It is not "sugary" and took a bit of getting used to but I like it now.
  • tburgardt
    tburgardt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can't relax Lol. I wish I could. I just can't sit and not do anything. I find something to clean every day. And I'm stuck in the house because I got into a car accident a week after I had the baby so I can't drive my car. I'm just used to not being home all day everyday.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I drank a 20oz RedBull everyday for 10 years, 2-3 cups of coffee a day, and about 3 sweet teas and 3 Pepsi's. I was the textbook case of caffeine/sugar addiction. I work a very physically demanding job on my feet 50 hours a week. I felt like I HAD to have it. About a month and a half ago I said, "No more!" I had headaches for about two weeks. Now I'm fine and just crave water when I wake up. I'm actually amazed I could do it. You could too.

But there's really no reason to unless you just wanted to like I did. I think coffee is actually good for you as long as you don't add tons of cream and sugar. I'll still have a cup of coffee here and there but the dependence is gone.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I've lost 85lbs, and quitting soda cold turkey was HUGE!! I never ate a lot, but I drank 300-800 calories a day in soda..I switched to MIO, which is a 0 calorie sweetened water additive, but then as winter came to Colorado, I switched to coffee with splenda..still basically 0 calories, but warm and very addicting! I loooove coffee now and am very happy to be done with soda's =)

I quit soda cold turkey too, about two years age. Oh the headaches! I'm happy just drinking water most of the time but in the winter I like unsweetened Almond milk with a teaspoon on honey in it. I don't like coffee or tea, except the occasional fruit tea
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I used to drink up to a 2liter a day of Pepsi. I gave it up on February 1st. I drink coffee a couple times a day and I feel this is a better choice for me because I can control how much sugar I put in my coffee. I can't control how much sugar is in Pepsi. Personally, I believe coffee is better for me then all the Pepsi.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I drink coffee and sweeten it with stevia. Most of the artificial sweeteners have health risks and stevia does not. It is not "sugary" and took a bit of getting used to but I like it now.

I use stevia too, have been for 15 years now. I did have to acquire a taste to it, but now I can't stand sugar. Coffee is your better choice, however, a soda in moderation is fine.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »
    I've lost 85lbs, and quitting soda cold turkey was HUGE!! I never ate a lot, but I drank 300-800 calories a day in soda..I switched to MIO, which is a 0 calorie sweetened water additive, but then as winter came to Colorado, I switched to coffee with splenda..still basically 0 calories, but warm and very addicting! I loooove coffee now and am very happy to be done with soda's =)

Congratulations! That is awesome! I am trying to give up soda. I haven't had one since February 1st. I'm not seeing much weight loss yet, but hoping it's because my body is trying to adjust from not having anymore soda.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    To reduce the calorie counts, you could try switching to coffee, and then gradually reduce the amount of cream/sugar you put into it. Many years ago, I had to drink my coffee with 3 packets of sugar in it. As far as I was concerned, coffee was meant to be super sweet. Then I decided to try to cut cals where I could and gradually reduced it. First down to 2 packets a cup, then 1 packet a cup, and then eventually I started drinking it completely black. The handful of times a year I get an iced coffee from a donut shop or something it is rather amazing to have all that sugar....but by and large, I enjoy my coffee black and have no temptation to add sugar/cream. I'd sooner save the sugar for a pastry/cake! Plus, black coffee tastes pretty good! It's been a nice bonus in my new MFP life.

I have a coffee 1x a week or so (free at my work). I have found for me, coffee makes me jittery/hungrier/more likely to snack unnecessarily. But then, I've never allowed myself to get hooked on caffeine and actually don't like the mild jitters I get from caffeine. I drink coffee occasionally because I enjoy the taste.