Running on the spot at red lights

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy running in place at a light this morning. He was not only running in place but also going around in tiny circles as he bounced. The entire thing was ridiculous looking. That said, he's probably a Real Runner™ and I am not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    OK now I'm really confused. I don't wear Vibrams, capris, or skorts. I don't jig about at red lights, but that's usually because I'm clinging to the lamppost trying not to barf. However, I do wear shorts over my compression pants. So am I a real runner or not?

difficult..

have you ever worn a tutu at a race?

No one over 21 should wear a tutu unless they are running a raceor clothes with words on the butt.

FIFY

When will I ever have a chance to wear a tutu if not for a race? Don't take this from me.

Ballet?

DYEKM?
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Unless you are running trails you aren't real runners. So doesn't matter if you stop or bounce at your red lights. None of you are real runners.

/argument settled
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm too lazy to get my phone out and pause my GPS at lights so I just run back and forth along the block until it turns green and makes me look really cool, obviously. But then, I guess I'm not a real runner anyway because I don't have a real running watch and just use my phone in the first place, so it's kinda moot.

And I agree that wearing capris is a good reason to get thrown out of Runner Club for purely aesthetic reasons. Heinous.

ETA: I ran a "Hypthermic Half" yesterday and saw a couple women in shorts and sports bras only. THOSE were obviously the real runners, forget all the clowns with tights under their shorts.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I thought real runners ran in shorts in winter???

Pretty sure real runners only wear splits. The shorter the better.

I have no strong opinions on jogging at lights. I don't usually, but sometimes like someone else mentioned it makes it easier to get going again.

Confused by all you who pause your GPS at a light though. I mean, I had a chance to recover because I stopped at a light, why wouldn't I count that? That'd be like pausing my watch everytime I stopped to walk or catch my breath. Wouldn't be representative of my true fitness. But I say that because I like accurate data. Am not a 'real runner'. Am a hobby jogger according to the boards where these rules are created.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    OK now I'm really confused. I don't wear Vibrams, capris, or skorts. I don't jig about at red lights, but that's usually because I'm clinging to the lamppost trying not to barf. However, I do wear shorts over my compression pants. So am I a real runner or not?

difficult..

No one over 21 should wear a tutu or clothes with words on the butt.

I'm doing the Hot Chocolate 15km in Vegas this weekend in full tutu and galaxy-printed tights. Come at me, I dare ya ;)
    Options

I have no strong opinions on jogging at lights. I don't usually, but sometimes like someone else mentioned it makes it easier to get going again.

Confused by all you who pause your GPS at a light though. I mean, I had a chance to recover because I stopped at a light, why wouldn't I count that? That'd be like pausing my watch everytime I stopped to walk or catch my breath. Wouldn't be representative of my true fitness. But I say that because I like accurate data. Am not a 'real runner'. Am a hobby jogger according to the boards where these rules are created.

Most GPS watches can be set up to auto-pause if it doesn't detect forward movement, such as at a light. I agree that if I'm not getting credit while waiting for a light, I'm not moving. Plus I don't want my pace stats to be affected by waiting for traffic. I'm picky like that.
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    litsy3 wrote: »
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

No! You must pick a side so you can be properly shamed by the opposing opinion.

Oh! Okay, in that case, real runners do their workouts on the track. o:)

Pretty sure real runners have thumb holes in their shirts.

Get in... I have a couple of running tops with thumb holes :laugh:

i find it annoying when they don't have thumb holes. :angry:

+1.
    This thread is cracking me up. I didn't think runners were so judgmental :lol:
  • _Waffle_
    edited February 2016
    Options

difficult..

I'm doing the Hot Chocolate 15km in Vegas this weekend in full tutu and galaxy-printed tights. Come at me, I dare ya ;)

What happens in Vegas.... isn't what happens to Real Runners™.

*Have fun
  • _Waffle_
    Options

Most GPS watches can be set up to auto-pause if it doesn't detect forward movement, such as at a light. I agree that if I'm not getting credit while waiting for a light, I'm not moving. Plus I don't want my pace stats to be affected by waiting for traffic. I'm picky like that.

I used to do that but I discovered that Garmin has Time/Moving Time as well as Average Pace/Moving Pace Speed. Of course you can enable the auto-pause. Either way, don't run in place. :wink:
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    wesley58 wrote: »
    It's your jog, it's your exercise, you do what you like.

Your kind of logic is not welcomed here. Pick a side. Any side. It will be wrong either way.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I think 'real runners' are the ones who don't care whether they can call themselves 'runners' or not. I stop at lights except if I'm doing a tempo run (which I'd try not to be on a route where there were lights), in which case I'd run up the road and back until the lights changed. I think it is probably true that if you are doing it primarily because it's a cardio exercise and you want to be moving you might jog on the spot, and if you are doing it because it's a sport you'd probably just wait. But it should go without saying that neither way is superior, and also I thought the joke was quite funny.

+1.

Be on the look out for this guy

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/joggers-targeted-in-aggravated-insults
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    _EPIC_ wrote: »
    wesley58 wrote: »
    It's your jog, it's your exercise, you do what you like.

Your kind of logic is not welcomed here. Pick a side. Any side. It will be wrong either way.

Calling it a "jog" was a good start anyway, them's fightin' words.
  • ashleyrichey616
    ashleyrichey616 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do whatever feels right in the moment, like most other people here have alluded to. I will typically run in place or bounce or do SOMETHING just to keep moving, because as many others have said, once I stop it's a lot harder to get going again! But if it's a very long run and a well-placed light, sure, I'll take the opportunity for a rest if I feel like I need it. Most of the time though I just want to keep as much of my momentum as possible.

I often say I'm not a 'real runner' for lots of reasons, mostly revolving around my speed and the relatively short distance of many of my runs, but my husband, who is very much a 'real runner' (a couple marathons and I don't even know how many half-marathons under his belt and well over 20 miles per week when he's NOT in training mode) tells me, "You run. You're a real runner. That's all it takes."
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

difficult..

<shrug> the dancer in me says otherwise ;)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

difficult..

Vegas! I'll be doing the Blood, Sweat and Beers trail marathon this weekend. I see your race is on Sunday. I'll see how I feel after mine on Saturday. I haven't run one of those Hot Chocolate races, yet. I see they don't accept race day registration, but I should know before the expo is over whether or not I could be up to a 5k in the morning... I don't even know you, but you're a bad influence.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

difficult..

Nothing wrong with wearing a tutu...... WHILE DANCING.
  • _Waffle_
    edited February 2016
    Options

+1.

Be on the look out for this guy

http://www.runnersworld.com/fun/joggers-targeted-in-aggravated-insults

LOL.Terrifying.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

difficult..

Nothing wrong with wearing a tutu...... WHILE DANCING.

you don't get to tell the dancer in my head what to look like!!!!
    Options

difficult..

Vegas! I'll be doing the Blood, Sweat and Beers trail marathon this weekend. I see your race is on Sunday. I'll see how I feel after mine on Saturday. I haven't run one of those Hot Chocolate races, yet. I see they don't accept race day registration, but I should know before the expo is over whether or not I could be up to a 5k in the morning... I don't even know you, but you're a bad influence.
    Let me know if you do it!