how often do you step on the scale?

Options
I'm averaging once per week... anyone do it everyday ? If so, what's the reason?

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Every Monday to hold myself accountable for all of that free time to eat crap on the weekend. Why would I do it any more frequently?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Answer: i would weigh myself more frequently to know that I went up or down a pound periodically and would have to ask MFP friends about my fluctuation.
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I weight dailyish. I don't like weighting weekly because I know I go through periods of not losing much and am way more disappointed in not seeing the scale move after a week rather than seeing the scale not move over a few days and being warned I am in one of those periods. Also I plot every day and like seeing the trend (I am a geek and even do a least squares fit to the numbers). It also lets me learn about my body, like I notice I go up slightly the day after a very heavy workout, or that I don't lose for a week or so around my TOM. I think it depends on you personality, I don't worry about minor ups and downs and I like more data.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    At least once a day - I actually find the daily fluctuations fascinating! If I was only weighing once a week, I would likely get discouraged if it only showed having lost 0.5 pounds or something, but when I weigh daily, I know that two days earlier, I may have actually been down 2 pounds and today's weight is water weight or something like that.

As long as I see a downward trend, I'm all good and the best way for me to see that is by weighing every morning.
  • FitEqualsSmile
    FitEqualsSmile Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning right after I get out of bed. Love the charting. Found a great app this weekend for those like minded...Happy Scale, it shows a ton of great statistics and graphs as well as future weight loss trends.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Was weekly to begin with, but quickly moved to daily. The key is to weigh at the same time and under the same circumstances. Personally, I get up, go to the bathroom, then step on the scale. I find it helps me stay on track. I have a separate app that I track my weight in, and only change my MFP weight once a week on Sundays. With my other app I can see the trend, it tells me my BMI, % of completion to my first goal, % of time left to reach my goal. Once you really accept the fluctuations which are completely natural, weighing daily isn't a big deal. However, if you're obsessive about it (like weigh more than once a day), or if you can't handle the ups and down, then weekly is probably better.
  • jenniemdavies1991
    Options
    I'm not allowing myself to weigh more then once a week ... I end up getting really discouraged if I weigh daily xx
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Probably every other day out of curiosity but I only log a weigh-in on Sundays (or try to)
  • shrinkingNP
    shrinkingNP Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    every day just to hold myself accountable each and every day!
  • stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I don't pay it any attention. Mostly, it's a gauge to see how much sodium was in my food the previous night :D .

I'm one of those who measure progress in inches lost, not weight.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh every day or two, but I only log my weight on Sundays.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Every morning. It helps me stay focused.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a week - Mondays and Fridays. Although I'll weigh throughout the week just to see what's going on.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Every day. Helps me see patterns.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Each approach (daily, weekly, monthly, not at all, etc) has their positives I think. I've experimented with daily and weekly, preferring weekly.
  • freyjabibby
    freyjabibby Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I go with daily. I know my weight can fluctuate quite a bit, so if I was doing weekly and happened to weigh myself on a low day one week followed by a high day the next week and saw the scales going up, that would be a bit disheartening. This way I can see the fluctuations and the trends. I am a bit of a data geek though (I do have a rolling weekly average and a line of best fit based on the average).
    I did stop weighing for a while because I found that I was starting to become a bit obsessive and letting the number on the scale dictate my mood for the entire day (whilst being severely demotivated to do anything about bringing that number down).
    It's down to individual preference, whatever works for you.
  • starting167
    starting167 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Every morning and I log it in a spreadsheet and on Trendweight because I like playing with graphs and numbers. But I only log my weight into MFP on Fridays.
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    5-7 times a week in the morning. I record my lows and since weight fluctuates I don't want to miss it for that week.
    I imagine once i get close to goal or am on maintenance I will weigh weekly at least.
    Not weighing myself except a handful of times a year is what made me unaccountable for my weight gain, and I don't want to go through losing 50 pounds again.
  • tthoma5201
    tthoma5201 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Every morning