To sleeve or not to sleeve. That is the question

Options
2»

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    When I was morbidly obese I thought about it on occasion but could never seriously consider it. I just used the calculator provided above and found that by using MFP, I have done better than any WLS projection. Still have 15 lbs to normal BMI range.

You can do it too.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone who said WLS should be a last resort when all other far less invasive options have been exhausted.

I watched the latest episode of 600 lb Life and the patient had to have emergency surgery because of complications from post op pain meds.
    These people take fistfuls of vitamins and opiates after having an inasive surgery and I fail to understand how this is a better or safer route than a script for amphetamines or alike if hunger or binging is so much of a hindrance. And some of these patients have admitted to never even trying to lose weight before.
    It just really annoys me how WLS surgery is portrayed as people's "only hope," when so many less invasive options have never been attempted.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    KrysKiss87 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I do not view the surgery as a "quick fix" I'm aware that it will take diet and exercise no matter what I decide and I know my lifestyle has to change for long term results. This is something I am working on and have been for the last year. Believe me Surgery is my last resort option. I'm not looking at it as a magic pill that will make the weight just fall off. I've done mountains of research and lots of soul searching to even come to the conclusion that it MIGHT be an option. (which is why I pulled the trigger on starting the process) I'm having second thoughts because I know that lifestyle changes have to occur no matter what, and they have, but my weight keeps fluctuating. I would come up with some brilliant excuse as to why I haven't been logging, but the truth is I got lazy and complacent. I taught myself not to justify or make excuses a long time ago. Many a time I have kicked my own *kitten* into gear and scolded myself for my " I don't have time to work out" or my "one more cookie won't hurt me" excuses. I don't make those excuses anymore and I do eat well, which is why I am concerned about not losing the way I should. I'm leaning toward cancelling the surgery and giving myself more time. I'm doing this weight loss thing for my son. He needs me, so maybe it's a better example for him to do things the long and more difficult way. It would be a hell of a victory story to tell him when hes older.

How will surgery fix this?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @ClosetBayesian the surgery helps on lazy days as only so much food can be processed at any one time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just to clarify, I do not view the surgery as a "quick fix" I'm aware that it will take diet and exercise no matter what I decide and I know my lifestyle has to change for long term results. This is something I am working on and have been for the last year. Believe me Surgery is my last resort option. I'm not looking at it as a magic pill that will make the weight just fall off. I've done mountains of research and lots of soul searching to even come to the conclusion that it MIGHT be an option. (which is why I pulled the trigger on starting the process) I'm having second thoughts because I know that lifestyle changes have to occur no matter what, and they have, but my weight keeps fluctuating. I would come up with some brilliant excuse as to why I haven't been logging, but the truth is I got lazy and complacent. I taught myself not to justify or make excuses a long time ago. Many a time I have kicked my own *kitten* into gear and scolded myself for my " I don't have time to work out" or my "one more cookie won't hurt me" excuses. I don't make those excuses anymore and I do eat well, which is why I am concerned about not losing the way I should. I'm leaning toward cancelling the surgery and giving myself more time. I'm doing this weight loss thing for my son. He needs me, so maybe it's a better example for him to do things the long and more difficult way. It would be a hell of a victory story to tell him when hes older.

What do you mean by eating well, and losing the way you should? If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight, and that's how WLS works too, just by forcing you to eat less. Are you losing weight? You can expect to lose 1% of your body weight per week if you stick to your allotted calories. But you have to do it consistently. Maybe you could find another method than calorie counting, if it's the logging that wears you out. You can use the plate model or the No S Diet, which are just structured ways of eating normally. But no matter which method you choose, you have to commit to it, and if you cheat, it's not going to work.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

What do you mean by eating well, and losing the way you should? If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight, and that's how WLS works too, just by forcing you to eat less. Are you losing weight? You can expect to lose 1% of your body weight per week if you stick to your allotted calories. But you have to do it consistently. Maybe you could find another method than calorie counting, if it's the logging that wears you out. You can use the plate model or the No S Diet, which are just structured ways of eating normally. But no matter which method you choose, you have to commit to it, and if you cheat, it's not going to work.

This is what I'm seeing. No actual measurement of anything.

If nothing of the process is being measured or controlled (food, exercise) how can one expect to measure a change in results (weight)?
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

How will surgery fix this?

It won't, which is why I said I was leaning against it, and as I said I am working on my habits, just came here to get opinions on the subject to help me solidify my decision to not go through with it, which it has.
  • KrysKiss87
    KrysKiss87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

If nothing of the process is being measured or controlled (food, exercise) how can one expect to measure a change in results (weight)?

You two are absolutely right. I think the problem I am having is mostly misjudging what I am really putting into my body and not keeping a good enough record. I also need to tighten up my exercise routine to more than just walking. I'm pretty active, but obviously not active enough if I'm not seeing the scale move.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Like most people in this thread, I haven't had or considered weight loss surgery so my personal opinion on whether WLS as a whole is BS or not is not really conclusive. I read a few posts on the other link that was posted and it seemed more judgmental than helpful.

I agree with the general concerns that most people have expressed that you ultimately need to change your mindset in order to change your eating or else eventually you can and will regain the weight lost through surgery. For that reason alone, even at 300+ pounds I never considered WLS. However, there are people who have the surgery and keep their weight off for years, and have better results than they ever experienced doing it on their own. So, I would never rule it out completely or suggest that it's worthless or a bad idea across the board.

Some people seem to benefit from getting that initial push that WLS provides.. basically forcing your body to lose weight. You need to find ways to adapt healthier habits once your body is no longer forcing you to do that, but I think maybe people become inspired after they see their success early on and incorporate healthier habits. Other people have a lot of health problems or mobility issues which are resolved in part once they lose some weight, so that could be another reason they have more success after the surgery. I think unfortunately like most types of weight loss, surgical or not, the number of people who regain a substantial amount of weight is really high, but I think for some people, surgery starts them in the right direction at least. Your doctor can tell you more, as can a therapist that specializes in weight and food issues, so I think they're better resources than most people on here.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I know 2 people who had this surgery. Both of them have regained roughly 2/3 of the weight they first lost with the surgery. One (a man) just continues to eat. He must cut his food into smaller portions, but he eats and eats and eats. The other (a woman) eats fast food for nearly every meal, drinks Starbucks Frappacinos and soda all day long.

Both of them spend thousands of $$$ for this surgery, and neither benefited from it. I actually feel bad for both of them because they had a chance that will never come their way again.

I would only recommend you look at this option AFTER you make a habit of eating well and exercising regularly (I'm not meaning become a fitness nut. Just become active.).
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You have made a big step as some one else said don't let anyone talk you into or out of surgery. I live with someone who has had a lap band it is a tool and he still struggles with his issues as will you. I would do it if my weight becomes uncontrollable. I have a friend who did and she looks amazing and is happy but for some women the attention they attract is scary and they gain weight back. Empower yourself to get healthy by however you have to. Good luck you can do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    You have made a big step as some one else said don't let anyone talk you into or out of surgery. I live with someone who has had a lap band it is a tool and he still struggles with his issues as will you. I would do it if my weight becomes uncontrollable. I have a friend who did and she looks amazing and is happy but for some women the attention they attract is scary and they gain weight back. Empower yourself to get healthy by however you have to. Good luck you can do it.

To the first bolded part - overweight is caused by overeating that is out of control; and it can be controlled.

To the second part - what?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The only person I know who has done it seems to have gained most of the weight back after a couple years. Personally, I'd rather do just about anything to avoid surgery of any kind.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

To the first bolded part - overweight is caused by overeating that is out of control; and it can be controlled.

It's not a terribly uncommon reaction to weight loss. Some women either became fat in order to 'hide' (think sexual assault victims) or became used to being kind of part of the background as a consequence of being fat. They lose weight, suddenly get attention they don't want and/or aren't used to and they start gaining again. Some because it hurts their confidence and they turn to food, some because they're just that uncomfortable being approached that way that they deliberately start eating to gain.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

You two are absolutely right. I think the problem I am having is mostly misjudging what I am really putting into my body and not keeping a good enough record. I also need to tighten up my exercise routine to more than just walking. I'm pretty active, but obviously not active enough if I'm not seeing the scale move.

OP, if you are having doubts, and you aren't currently experiencing a health issue that requires you to lose the weight as quickly as possible, it seems like you have one more option to try. If you don't have one, buy a food scale and commit to logging accurately and consistently for some realistic period of time. Not when you feel like it, not when it's convenient, but every bite, and for long enough to make it just another habit in your day, like brushing your teeth. Do you have someone in your life who you trust to not judge you but to hold you accountable? Ask them to check in with you, see if you are sticking to the plan, and remind you why you are doing it. Pick a time every week when you prep food for the week. Try pre-logging your food for the day, then you don't have to struggle with choices all day, just eat what you logged. And if you have a day that you eat too much, learn from it. Really figure out WHY it happened and what you can do to avoid that same situation or deal with it better in the future.

WLS certainly has its place, but if you aren't sure, it is a big decision and maybe doing the day-to-day work will be easier to commit to if it will keep you from the last resort. Whatever you decide, best of luck!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

It's not a terribly uncommon reaction to weight loss. Some women either became fat in order to 'hide' (think sexual assault victims) or became used to being kind of part of the background as a consequence of being fat. They lose weight, suddenly get attention they don't want and/or aren't used to and they start gaining again. Some because it hurts their confidence and they turn to food, some because they're just that uncomfortable being approached that way that they deliberately start eating to gain.

Exactly! It is very common in women that experienced childhood sexual abuse too. Obesity is sometimes about what goes on in the head as much as what goes in the mouth.