Raw Veganism and Weight Loss?

Options
While doing some research on veganism and weight loss I stumbled upon some books and articles about the benefits of raw veganism and the weight loss and health benefits that comes with it. I will be very clear, I am not looking for a magic bullet. I am totally comfortable with slow and steady weight loss. But I have to admit to being curious about the claims of energy and well being that the raw foodist articles and books talk about. Currently, I am horribly addicted to soda, carbs, sugar, pretty much everything that is bad for you. I also have a pretty limited palate. I am not self-diagnosing, but when I worked with child developmental therapists their evaluations of kid's with sensory issues that affected their palate reminded me of my eating.

Has anyone on this forum gone raw or eat a large chunk of their diet raw? Does it really help with energy and weight loss? Are there any side effects and what is a book or website that has the most basic raw recipes that someone can use? Does it have any drawbacks in your book? And info at all would be appreciated.

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Today, I started a raw "cleanse" of sorts. I'm eating completely raw vegan for breakfast and lunch and eating macro vegan for dinner. I only started today, but I already feel so much less bogged down than before!
  • RiverInTheRoad
    Options
    I went vegan for half a year and I have to say, it was okay. I did lose some pounds but my energy level sort of declined and my finger tips tingled all the time. It also ate a hole in wallet (I was spending about $200 a week on food alone) I don't know about raw though. Some might argue that the weight you lose when you're vegan is actually muscle, not fat, so you wind up "skinny fat" but I haven't really been interested enough in the topic since I stopped to look into that further. If you're looking for something natural and good for the planet, you should check out Paleo diets. From what I hear, it's suppose to be really good for you.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for half a year and I have to say, it was okay. I did lose some pounds but my energy level sort of declined and my finger tips tingled all the time. It also ate a hole in wallet (I was spending about $200 a week on food alone)

What the heck were you buying?!?! $200 is my MONTHLY budget and I never even come close to spending that to feed the fiance and myself....were you eating lots of processed vegan "junk" or something? That's just an insane amount of money....
  • numnumnums
    numnumnums Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've done it before, and yes the weight drops off lickety split quick, and you'll feel more energetic (at least i did) but the problem is this way of eating is very hard to sustain over any significant length of time. You miss warm stuff after a while, plus every day you're shopping for, washing and chopping up fruit and vegetables, and it takes up way too much time. You have to eat sooo much to get your calories high enough, and its so much work. The advantage is that it does really reset your palate. But i like this slow and steady MFP way much better. Your whole life isn't just about eating.
  • celizabet
    celizabet Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 5 years and I wasn't skinny fat at all! I was definitely buff :) I think it's more about working out and eating right and being vegan makes that easier (you probably aren't going to eat as many sweets because the vegan versions are more expensive!) But I felt very healthy, very 'light' and my bowels were definitely regular and healthy too ;)

I am going to start again once I get my college money this year! I wouldn't say I spend $200 per week but it is more expensive to buy healthy fresh unprocessed food daily/weekly.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I go on mostly raw cleanses/detoxes (2-4 days). For breakfast and lunch, I'll make raw smoothies (frozen berries, raw spinach, raw baby carrots, vitamin C powder, and a touch of agave to balance the tang out). I snack on raw almonds and raw cashews (apparently they're an acquired taste, as everyone else in my families has tried my raw nuts and say they're gross *shrug* ). For supper-fruit, edemame (my new favorite and preference) and some lightly steamed veggies (green beans, asparagus, broccoli, something of that nature). No added salt. I try to drink at least a gallon of water a day too. I take my vitamins in the AM too.

My detox weeks are my biggest weightloss weeks, and I feel great!!
  • lolananda
    lolananda Posts: 7
    Options
    I have spent the last 5 years studying raw nutrition and tweaking my lifestyle to focus on live foods, and I am certified in raw nutrition. I am extremely passionate about raw, living and whole foods and the benefits are absolutely true. When I first started, I lost 10 pounds my first week effortlessly. I slowly lost more weight but more exciting was the way I felt. So clear headed, even tempered, peaceful, joyful, positive! I've never had great skin, but I began getting compliments on my skin. It was/it awesome!

That being said, perhaps it would be more beneficial to think of "upgrading" your diet and lifestyle first...rather than thinking of going all raw. You mentioned you drink soda, you could break that addiction and start drinking green tea. You could start eating a big salad every day. You could eliminate refined grains and sugar and replace with whole grains, honey and agave. There are SO many ways you can make changes and as you start feeling better, you may find that making even bigger changes is easier!

You asked about drawbacks. I think a BIG drawback is the tendency with some raw foodist to become obsessive. Who gives a crap if you are 100% raw or 80% raw. I just loathe labels especially when being healthy, happy and whole is the goal. Don't limit yourself because there is SO much absolutely delicious healthy, wholesome food out there that your body wiill love you for. Raw/live food can be exquisitely delicious and everyone should have live food in their daily diet every single day. I know I'm rambling, sorry!!! Best of luck to you, it really is very exciting!
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    In 2006 I did this for 4 months at about 99% raw and loved it. I lost about 40lbs, had energy thru the roof, mental clarity was fabulous, and my grocery budget stayed about the same.

I didn't stay on it because I didn't have the right mindset at the time, DH would always bring in favorite foods of mine that weren't healthy...socially it is very challenging to get others to get it and understand the very basic concept of it all and I also got pregnant which lead into a calorie issue as I would constantly watch my calories to make sure I stayed above 1200 which can be a real struggle on the menu. I would also HIGHLY recommend a good multi vitamin as I became very deficient in B vitamins which lead me to become depressed. that passed as soon as I made the connection and took a high level dose of B vitamin though.

What I've coached others on is nothing more then balance. I find that 75% -80% gives me a good balance of the benefits of raw and the adaptability of incorporating it in to my daily life.
  • BeHappyNHealthy
    Options
    While doing some research on veganism and weight loss I stumbled upon some books and articles about the benefits of raw veganism and the weight loss and health benefits that comes with it. I will be very clear, I am not looking for a magic bullet. I am totally comfortable with slow and steady weight loss. But I have to admit to being curious about the claims of energy and well being that the raw foodist articles and books talk about. Currently, I am horribly addicted to soda, carbs, sugar, pretty much everything that is bad for you. I also have a pretty limited palate. I am not self-diagnosing, but when I worked with child developmental therapists their evaluations of kid's with sensory issues that affected their palate reminded me of my eating.

Has anyone on this forum gone raw or eat a large chunk of their diet raw? Does it really help with energy and weight loss? Are there any side effects and what is a book or website that has the most basic raw recipes that someone can use? Does it have any drawbacks in your book? And info at all would be appreciated.

I've been vegan now for a year and a half. I LOVE IT. I've never felt healthier before. I never get tired or lethargic...unless I'm seriously sleep deprived. I don't feel I'm addicted to caffeine or sugar. I work at a raw vegan restaurant and it's inspired me to try and go 50% raw. Once I get a dehydrator and food processor I'm going to attempt 75% raw. It's just so hard to maintain raw veganism with such limited resources. Honestly though, I feel great. I LOVE it.
  • H8T3D
    H8T3D Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for half a year and I have to say, it was okay. I did lose some pounds but my energy level sort of declined and my finger tips tingled all the time. It also ate a hole in wallet (I was spending about $200 a week on food alone)

What the heck were you buying?!?! $200 is my MONTHLY budget and I never even come close to spending that to feed the fiance and myself....were you eating lots of processed vegan "junk" or something? That's just an insane amount of money....

I would really like to know where you shop, that you can feed a family of two for under $200 a Month..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I eat probably half my food raw (but am veggie, not vegan) and I don't seem to much energy, or weight loss for that matter.
  • jmula
    jmula Posts: 38
    Options
    My mother in law is a vegan. She is also still about 30 lbs over weight. Theres nothing wrong with eating animal proteins from a health perspective. chicken, eggs (whites), fish, are all excellent sources of good for you protein and vitamins. I have seen many vegans eat the wrong foods and end up looking very unhealthy. if you want to go vegan, do a lot of research. Its not a healthy lifestyle if done incorrectly.
  • fteale
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13796479

Here's a very very good reason why people shouldn't eat fish. Yeah, sure, it's good for you, but what's so special about you that you need to destroy the planet to feel like you are getting enough protein when there are plenty of other sources?

I am really passionate that people should NOT be eating fish. Or battery chickens/eggs.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for years - but now I eat a little dairy.

I would start to elimintate one thing ata time, and replca eit with somehting else, rather than jump into it full throttle. Your body needs time to detox.

If you elimintae carbs and soda, it doesn't matter what kind of diet you adopt, you are going to lose weight and have more energy.

Replace your soda with a FRESH squeezed green juice from a health food store to start. Nothing bottled. You will se a difference immediatley.
  • H8T3D
    Options
    Eliminating crabs is probably one of the worse things you can do. Your body needs complex carbohydrates

Moderate Carbohydrates. YES! Eliminate Carbohydrates.NO!
  • jmula
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13796479

Here's a very very good reason why people shouldn't eat fish. Yeah, sure, it's good for you, but what's so special about you that you need to destroy the planet to feel like you are getting enough protein when there are plenty of other sources?

I am really passionate that people should NOT be eating fish. Or battery chickens/eggs.

I eat fish three nights a week minimum ( which is a mindless creature to begin with ), 6 Egg whites each morning.
    (I)? ruin the planet? i don't! the fisheries may. But I don't. And yes I support them by buying from them because I don't have time to walk down to the creek and get my own every other day.

And as far as what makes me so special? i am the top of the food chain! And theres a reason for this. says so right there in the Bible. Animals were put here for our consumption.
    I'm fine with you being vegan and all, but I have a problem when you telling me I'm [wrong] for not eating your preferred way.
  • fteale
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. How people can go through life not giving a crap about the future of the planet they are leaving to their children is beyond me. Did you even look at the link? It's pretty scary stuff. But go ahead, be selfish like 99% of the rest of our disgusting species.
  • jmula
    Options
    Wow. Just wow. How people can go through life not giving a crap about the future of the planet they are leaving to their children is beyond me. Did you even look at the link? It's pretty scary stuff. But go ahead, be selfish like 99% of the rest of our disgusting species.

Seriously? theres more harm done to the oceans from oil disasters, and trash dumping then my little three meals a week will ever do. and by the way, most of the fish you get from the supermarket is farm raised, not ocean caught. Maybe YOU should do a bit more research before spewing hatred from your mouth.
  • H8T3D
    Options

Seriously? theres more harm done to the oceans from oil disasters, and trash dumping then my little three meals a week will ever do. and by the way, most of the fish you get from the supermarket is farm raised, not ocean caught. Maybe YOU should do a bit more research before spewing hatred from your mouth.

Since when did compassion become hatred?
  • jmula
    Options

Since when did compassion become hatred?

read the posts again. insults are hatred, not compassion.