Should I be eating more to lose weight?

Options
DanielleBeserra
DanielleBeserra Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always been active and never overweight. The past nine months I started lifting heavier in order to burn some fat and tone up. I'm at a platue and have been for a while. My question is should I be eating more? I am very active and work out about 5-6 days a week. Is it possible the reason I'm not burning fat? is because I'm under eating?

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Well what are your stats?
  • DanielleBeserra
    Options
    I'm 5'7 136 lbs
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    To be honest, you don't appear to have anything left to lose. If that's a current pic.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Kinda hard to have idea when you don't mention your weight, TDEE, current cal intake, how long you been been at that cal level etc...
  • chandanista
    Options
    And what is your current calorie goal set at?

Vanity pounds are tough cookies to lose.
  • DanielleBeserra
    Options
    I do have cellulite on the back of my legs. I carry my fat in my legs and butt. I would like to tone up this area and lose fat not to lose weight.. If that makes sense
  • DanielleBeserra
    Options
    Ive been eating around 1500 cal that's what mfp set me at. It's been like that for 10 months. My TDEE is any where between 1900-2200 depends on the day.
  • chandanista
    Options
    Hmm. Have you looked into body building cut and bulk? It really sounds like you want a recomp, not a loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I do have cellulite on the back of my legs. I carry my fat in my legs and butt. I would like to tone up this area and lose fat not to lose weight.. If that makes sense

What's your workout routine?
  • alisfitgoal
    alisfitgoal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with chandanista - your BW is likely close, but you sound like you want to recomp - even "skinny-fat" people have cellulite if they don't have muscle. You might want to try some weightlifting and see if gaining muscle is the aesthetic you are looking for. With muscle, you can build the shape you want. By just losing weight you are left to the genetics of your body fat distribution pattern.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My guess is that eating more would be a better choice, assuming you're truly eating 1500 calories right now. You're at a great weight. Focusing on building muscle, whether at maintenance or slightly above, will likely move you more toward your end goal.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options

She just needs to eat at a deficit to lose weight.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    eating more is never the answer to trying to lose weight if your weight loss has stalled. gotta eat less or move more. keep your food diary tight and try and create a deficit to get back into it
  • chandanista
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

She just needs to eat at a deficit to lose weight.
    Oh you.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 135 lbs. I currently eat 2200-2400 per day but my goals may be different then yours.
    If you'd like to lose weight ( I don't think you need to but that's up to you ) then eat at a slight deficit and continue with your lifting.
    But if weight loss isn't a priority, you could eat at maintenance and run a recomp. ( I didn't have enough patience for it but many have good results)
    Or you could run a bulk and then cut later. Its up to you. I don't think you need to lose though.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As someone who struggles with eating to goal, I agree with those above who are wondering how accurate your measurement of what you are eating currently is. I don't even eat my exercise calories and as I have adjusted my goals from 1.5 per week down to 0.5 it's been challenging to add more calories, especially since I just don't crave those high calorie items anymore.
  • roz112
    roz112 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating 1500 cals and roughly burn 2000 cals that's already 500 cals a day which translates to burning more calories than you take in which results in weight loss. Either you're eating more than you think or you're not burning as much as you think. I def don't think at your height and weight you need to lose weight so maybe track your calories very closely to know how many calories you're actually eating. And for reducing cellulite you need to lose the fat so maybe reduce your calories by 250 and burn 250 at the gym by doing heavy weights. Goodluck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If you're eating what you think is 1500 calories, and not losing weight, then eating more would cause you to gain weight. You don't stop losing weight because you're eating too little. You're probably underestimating how many calories you're eating. Log better, stick with it and you will lose.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

If you don't want to lose any more weight, have you looked into recomposition yet? It sounds like what you're looking for: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hmm. Have you looked into body building cut and bulk? It really sounds like you want a recomp, not a loss.
    If you don't want to lose any more weight, have you looked into recomposition yet? It sounds like what you're looking for: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

100% this, you're dead center in the middle of a healthy BMI. To meet your goals, it's not weight loss that you're actually after, but lowering BF%