How do I lose weight faster on fitness pal,

Options
I have been on fitness pal for a while, I lose a couple of pounds, then gain them back. I do Between 6000-10,000 steps a day, I log EVERYTHING, should I be eating certain foods or is there a certain diet to follow? Or should I lower my calories, manually? Someone please help, I am getting discouraged trying not to give up

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You should log more accurately. That may mean logging 100% of the items that go into your mouth, using a food scale to weigh all foods/measuring cups for all liquids, making sure entries used are accurate, be mindful of exercise calories given, or all of the above.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    The first two responses pretty much sum things up.
  • Beverlyyj
    Beverlyyj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I just saw this chart while I was waiting on an answer. I do log everything that goes into my mouth even an M & M. I also measure, I was thinking maybe fitness pal is giving me too many calories? I put in sedentary and they gave me 1490 cal
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There's no magic formula. Don't beat yourself up, but then again, don't reward yourself with food for a couple pounds lost. Good luck! You need to find your own motivators. Mine's a family history of type 2 diabetes and heart disease, and their ugly side effects - as well as keeping my own blood sugar under control. Hope yours isn't that scary.
  • malibu927
    Options
    Beverlyyj wrote: »
    Thanks, I just saw this chart while I was waiting on an answer. I do log everything that goes into my mouth even an M & M. I also measure, I was thinking maybe fitness pal is giving me too many calories? I put in sedentary and they gave me 1490 cal

Measure or weigh? There's a huge difference between the two. And without knowing your stats, we don't know if that's too many calories.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Maybe, maybe not. I'm losing eating 1500-1600 calories a day.

Height? Weight? How long have you been at this? Have you lost any weight at all? Opening up your food diary might give you better responses here.

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories and, when I really stall out, I try cutting my daily calories by 50 or 100 calories and see what happens in a month. Give it time. You will lose the weight eventually, if you stick to it. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Beverlyyj
    Beverlyyj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help and encouragement. I started at 183, went down to 177.8 then this week, I am back at 180! I haven't done anything different. I am 5'4, eating 1490 a day I put in sedentary, but I do between 6000-10,000 steps a day. I guess these are my stats? Now I am afraid to eat
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to eat. Weight loss isn't linear. You need to look at trends over time.

As long as you do the process correctly, the weight loss will come when it comes. All you can control is that you are doing the process correctly.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your help and encouragement. I started at 183, went down to 177.8 then this week, I am back at 180! I haven't done anything different. I am 5'4, eating 1490 a day I put in sedentary, but I do between 6000-10,000 steps a day. I guess these are my stats? Now I am afraid to eat

If you are going to weigh often you need to check out using a weight trending app or something. There are lots of reasons to retain water and have your weight go up temporarily. I bounce and extra 4 pounds around on a regular basis but the trend is always down.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    im 5'1 and lose on 1500 a day. maintain around 1700.

you are experienceing normal weight fluctuations (mine can go up and down 7 pounds in a day)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You lost five pounds in your first weeks, then gained two back? That's normal water weight fluctuation. It's nothing to worry about.

This.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Where are you in your menstrual cycle? (If this is still an issue for you.) I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM.

That said, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options

Those numbers don't make sense. When I started I was 257lbs, I'm 5'8" and I had set at sedentary and I was set for 1240 calories by mfp. You're shorter and a lot lighter, so you should enter your data again and see what happens.
  • malibu927
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »

Those numbers don't make sense. When I started I was 257lbs, I'm 5'8" and I had set at sedentary and I was set for 1240 calories by mfp. You're shorter and a lot lighter, so you should enter your data again and see what happens.

She likely chose a smaller deficit than you. MFP won't put anyone below 1200 calories, so once you hit that it's difficult to lose at a higher rate.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much do you think you should lose per week? Because averaging 1 pound per week long term would be an appropriate goal for you.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    sndrd49 wrote: »

It depends on how many pounds per week you entered for your goals.

Of course, you're right. I had set it for 2 lb loss per week.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are normal . you won't always see a loss.
    Use a food scale for solids and a measuring cup for liquids op