Starting to run - C25k

Options
13»

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    christyg74 wrote: »
    I just started C25k at the end of January. I am very slow still repeating week 3. But, have you tried compression leg sleeves? They have saved me, oh and really good running shoes- I got Hoka One One shoes. Awesome!

How do you like them?

I just bought a pair of Hoka One One's also. I know they say you shouldn't have to break running shoes in, but the first 25 miles I put into them were sort of painful/tight after they felt so good at the shop. I actually had to start wearing two pairs of socks because they were digging in across my toes.

I have about 35 miles on them now though, and the last 5 miles especially have felt awesome.

I definitely second the good pair of running shoes sentiment.
  • BethWilliams24
    BethWilliams24 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Just did W1R1! I am so excited. I thought for sure I would not be able to even run the 60 sec interval but BAM! I did it. FRIEND ME! I love to be motivated by others but also be a motivation to others. Here's to the first week. :wink:

I started this last night! So sore afterwards!
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As a guy who did this a few years ago (and now loves running), and has a "coached" a few friends and family members through it, here are my top 5 pieces of advice:

1. Run SLOW.
    2. Get fitted for real running shoes at a running store. Will be expensive but worth it.
    3. No, slower than that.
    4. Don't try to run fast or shoot for a certain pace. Endurance is what you need to make it to 30 minutes and beyond. Speed will increase naturally as you get fitter.
    5. Seriously, if you can run any slower, you're going too fast. Don't even think run. Think "slow jog"