Replies

• AmyBMelt13
    AmyBMelt13 Posts: 20
    Options
    brightened my day a bit.
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I dont think the post was ment to be insulting!! geez lighten up ppl... where is your humour!!

That's what I was thinking! Hah - I chuckled at it!
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Add making a baby just means 1 night of sex, not 9 monthes of growing it and labor.

Lol so true!
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    People were actually INSULTED by this? Wow. Hahah what tools. It's a funny post. Not a serious post. Exaggeration and over-simplification is funny...

To the OP: Thanks for posting this! It was a fun post to read! Chuckled quite a few times! ☺
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    I thought it was funny, don't over analize it people!

I like the one about 3 pairs of shoes are more than enough, I own exactly 3 pairs, dress, sneakers and boat shoes.
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Add making a baby just means 1 night of sex, not 9 monthes of growing it and labor.

Amen to that!!!
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I dont think the post was ment to be insulting!! geez lighten up ppl... where is your humour!!

I don't think it was meant to be, either.

How depressing, that people can find something funny in repeating a list of outdated, sexist stereotypes to each other.

I know! i'm kinda shocked! My husband would find it hilarious- as he would take it in the way it's ment.
    a joke is a joke.. oh well i laughed :) hehe
  • bella8282
    bella8282 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I thought it was funny, don't over analize it people!

I like the one about 3 pairs of shoes are more than enough, I own exactly 3 pairs, dress, sneakers and boat shoes.

hehe :) see your male and not offended!! i dont get why others cant see the funnyness!! no humour?

I think my hubby has more than 3 pairs but considering i have over 150 pairs *gasp* ... the j/k still makes sense :)
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    wow. do yo people get up in the morning and wonder "what should I take too seriously and get mad at today"? Gotta love the fun police. Hear that sound? its the fun being sucked out of the room.

However now that I think of it, women complain about men having it so much easier than they do. So if this post is insulting, does it mean women can get away with the same stuff? So in essence, you have no reason to complain...ever. I don't think the OP realized this, but she just ended the battle between the sexes. You deserve a Nobel Peace Prize or very large statue somewhere.
  • angryguy77
    Options
    edit double post
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    little ole me just ended the battle between the sexes? I am omnipotent! Guys don't confuse that with impotent! :tongue:
  • _beachgirl_
    Options
    come be my statue angryguy? I have a nice place picked out for you right next to my bed....on the nightstand
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Lol, it made me laugh.
  • angryguy77
    Options
    come be my statue angryguy? I have a nice place picked out for you right next to my bed....on the nightstand

ok, just promise to dust me off each night before going to bed.
  • _beachgirl_
    Options
    I have a feather duster but I can't seem to use it without the little french maid's outfit that came with it, if you don't mind
  • angryguy77
    Options
    I have a feather duster but I can't seem to use it without the little french maid's outfit that came with it, if you don't mind

I insist. This deal is getting better and better
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    However now that I think of it, women complain about men having it so much easier than they do. So if this post is insulting, does it mean women can get away with the same stuff? So in essence, you have no reason to complain...ever. I don't think the OP realized this, but she just ended the battle between the sexes. You deserve a Nobel Peace Prize or very large statue somewhere.

There are very few things on the list which actually require one to be male or female. So yes, women can "get away" with most of the things on there. However, posting the list did not 'end the battle of the sexes' - rather, it spread the stereotypes even more. Take a look at what you just said. You seem to assume that it's dramatic and unbelievable to say that women can not spend several thousand pounds on what they wear for their wedding, or not bother to shave below the neck. It's so deeply ingrained in you, that you just presented that idea as ludicrous. Can you not see how narrow-minded and ignorant that is?

Probably not, if you think your post wasn't self-contradictory.

Look at what persistent belief in these stereotypes has done to the world. Female politicians are still judged more on their clothes than their policies, and lists like this, which paint women as concerned only with clothing and appearances, don't help.

Let's skip right over the bull**** like women not knowing about tanks, and get straight to the serious part.

I spent my last weekend campaigning against the idea that women are raped because of what they choose to wear. There were so many stories, from everyone involved. Women who, for years, are told that they only important thing about them is their looks - like the list says, over and over, spending an inordinate amount of time caring about appearances, being in a hetero-normative relationship being the most important thing in their lives, fearing growing old, having to wear make-up - and then, after being attacked, being told "this is because of how you looked". Young girls, some of them younger than twenty, being pushed both ways by these awful mixed messages, being told that, to be feminine, the have to be pretty, but, if they are pretty, and they're raped, it's their fault, for being women.

(It's not true, btw; most women are raped in their own homes, by their partners. 44% of rape victims are children. I assure you, it's not because of what the're wearing.).

Repeating these fake and sexist ideas, that this is what women care about, and men don't, is harmful. Ideas like, women have to shave to be womanly, or have to want to get married, or have to wear make-up, or can't know about trucks. That kind of ignorance goes beyond a joke when people think it's true - like the person I quoted, who, as I pointed out, thought it would be oh-so-shocking to go "women can do that stuff too". Of course they can. It's only sexist bull**** like this being spouted that makes them think they can't, that they have to be some other way You say "it's just a joke!", but that's absolutely no excuse for repeating stuff like this. And then you've got people saying things like "it's so true!", or even calling people names for daring to disagree? What. the. ****? O_O
  • _beachgirl_
    Options

Let's skip right over the bull**** like women not knowing about tanks, and get straight to the serious part.

You missed the point entirely
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't. Your point was, you found it amusing. I explained why I didn't, even in jest. Especially when you have people commenting who think it's "so true", or that the idea that women can do all those things is shocking.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    No, I didn't. Your point was, you found it amusing. I explained why I didn't, even in jest. Especially when you have people commenting who think it's "so true", or that the idea that women can do all those things is shocking.

agreed