How do YOU feel hunger???

Options
how do you sense you are hungry? I'm just curious on people's response. Do you feel it when your stomach growls, a lack of energy in the body...etc. I never usually feel hunger in the stomach, but more a lack of energy throughout my body. Kinda sucks cause the feeling comes a lot lol. How do you sense/ feel hunger?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Lack of energy for me, I start getting brain fog. And stomach growl has never been hunger for me it has always been hydration.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I get irritated, lol. Seriously I get crabby.
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The only thing I classify as hunger is an empty/growling stomach. I have no other signs such as low energy or bad moods. Everything else is a craving for me.
  • RachaelWinston
    RachaelWinston Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I turn into a huge *kitten* and get a headache. Stomach growling usually just fixed with water like mentioned above but occasionally I do get actual pain in my stomach when I'm super hungry. It feels like an angry stab from the hunger monster in my belly lol I understand not feeling the "traditional" signs of hunger though. Mostly I start to feel crabby for no reason and feel so much better after a snack. Just like those snickers commercials haha
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It depends on the hunger:
    True Hunger: Emptiness in entire stomach, feeling light (or not weighed down by food in my stomach). Hunger pangs tend to go throughout my entire stomach and almost radiates through the rest of my body instead of sticking in my abdomen.
    Mental/Boredom Hunger: Stomach feels neutral (neither empty nor full), but my mouth tends to salivate a little bit more and become dry a lot easier than if I wasn't "hungry".
    Diabetes High Blood Sugar Hunger: Hunger "pangs" but only in the top portion of my stomach (and it's only the top part of my stomach that feels empty). Occasionally a headache, fatigue (if it's a long high), thirst, needing to pee frequently, or severe irritability, though I often only know my BG is starting to get high if I'm hungry again less than 2 hours after eating a decent meal (and I would then test and see that I am at least in the 160-200+ range.).

Personally, my biggest issue is figuring out if it's true hunger, boredom hunger, or high BG hunger. I might eat a meal/snack with true hunger, have some gum/soda/sugar-free jello with boredom hunger, and take some insulin/exercise (if applicable) and eat like I would with boredom hunger if it's high BG hunger.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Stomach growl if I'm sedentary or only lightly active at the time. Weakness if I'm exercising especially hiking. With both I can get real witchy if I'm unable to eat for awhile >:)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think that I feel hunger now in a different way than I did when I was fat. I used to just get that pang in my stomach. Now with all the weight training I do it feels kind of...deeper, than that. I realize how stupid that sounds but I'm just being honest. I'll get tired and cranky, but I also just have this NEED for food. When I start eating it can be so hard for me to ever feel full.
  • texasf1ght
    texasf1ght Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this so often because I usually only feel satiated for about an hour after eating, and then I'm hungry again. After having another good friend lose weight with me and do the same intensity of workouts I was starting to feel like something was wrong with me. I constantly felt hungry, and I was worried that I wasn't eating enough, but when I upped my calorie intake from 1,300-1,500 to 1,500-1,800 I stopped losing weight.

I feel hunger in my stomach and it almost feels like it goes through to my back. My stomach will growl, and if I'm really hungry I can start to get a headache.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think that I feel hunger now in a different way than I did when I was fat. I used to just get that pang in my stomach. Now with all the weight training I do it feels kind of...deeper, than that. I realize how stupid that sounds but I'm just being honest. I'll get tired and cranky, but I also just have this NEED for food. When I start eating it can be so hard for me to ever feel full.

I was never overweight, but I am at a significantly lower body fat than I used to be at the moment, and I definitely feel the difference in terms of both physical and mental hunger at a low body fat.

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Different types of hunger pangs for me

Irritable and snappy

Mouth hungry - just want to chew ????

Tired , brain fog , can't do simple tasks properly

Thirsty hungry - needing to up my fluids but mouth doesn't feel dry

Belly hungry , not really rumbling but an empty feeling , usually something little satisfies but has taken time to recognise this

Boredom hungry - mindless munching
    How I ended up on mfp lol

Could eat a horse hungry - tends to be 'eyes bigger than stomach ' as my mum says

That's a lot of hungry
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Weakness. Severe stomach growling.
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I will have to pay more attention but I rarely experience stomach growling. Although many years ago I was sitting in a very quiet classroom and I my stomach growled so loud that everybody heard it. I remember it so well because I was so embarrassed.
    For many years now if I am hungry it is like pain in my stomach, if I don't eat for longer periods I get bad headaches and waves of nausea. Also a sensation of burning, it feels like my stomach is too acidic. No proof there though. I have no re-flux.
  • BrideSept2017
    BrideSept2017 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me I have different levels of hunger:

Empty/light stomach feeling
    Stomach growling
    Stomach pain
    Nausea, pain, and lightheaded

The last one is tough for me because once I hit that point most food sounds awful, but I know it will only go away if I eat something. That's why I don't think IF will ever be an effective plan for me, haha.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    1st my throat, begins to tighten & 2nd my stomach, feels as though; the walls're going to collapse.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Brain fog. Weakness.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Most frequently I feel overall weakness and head achy (often not a full blown headache, just a "not right" feeling). And brain fog/slowed mental processing speed.

Weirdly enough, when I'm really very hungry my upper arms (and sometimes my shoulders) will ache.

My stomach almost never growls, and when it does it's usually not related to hunger. I also rarely get the empty/hollow stomach feeling as a primary sign of hunger.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hungry = irritability, tummy rumbling, tummy ache
    Over-hungry = a peculiar feeling of fullness.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    How do you sense/ feel hunger?

When my stomach growls, it is a good feeling and so I don't feel hungry, I don't want to eat.

But probably the first indication I'm hungry is when I get a wickedly awful stab of pain in my abdomen. Like someone just drove a knife into me. That's a pretty good hint.

Then there's the dizziness and irritability.

• emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've worked at jobs where I frequently couldn't stop to eat for so long I've gotten excellent at tuning out physical hunger pangs/stomach growling, which I rarely notice and which usually pass after a minute or two, especially if I drink water. But a sudden drop in my ability to concentrate/irritability is impossible to ignore. And it does usually come on quite suddenly and only gets worse until I eat.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    daily