What is the best kind of milk?

Options

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about brands, but where milk comes from.

I usually drink skim milk. I am wondering if it is not as good as regular, full fat milk, because it is a watered down version and our body needs calcium and stuff. I've read that you should drink full fat milk because your body needs the fat and the milk has really good stuff in it, while skim milk tends to have added sugars. Full fat milk is supposed to be more satisfying and I believe you would end up drinking a smaller amount. I am not used to the taste of full fat milk, it always tastes weird to me. It also used to give me a horrendous stomach ache when I was a child. I seem to have outgrown that, as I can have the milkshakes from McDonalds, and I obviously drink tea with milk when I go out or am at other peoples houses.

Then there are cow milk alternatives. Stuff like almond milk, soy milk or goats milk. To my knowledge I have never tasted these. I think they are more expensive. I am not sure whether they would get stored in the fridge or not, if they can be used in all the same ways cow milk can be (in tea, in baking etc) and what the expiration dates are like. Also do they have the same health benefits as regular milk, like calcium? I would need a milk alternative that meets my nutritional needs.

What is best when it comes to animals well being and the environment?

What kind of milk do you think is best? do you use more than one type of milk?

Without reading any other responses, I think the best milk is the first glass from a freshly milked cow, before the cream is skimmed off and the milk is pasteurized. My grandparents had dairy cows though, so my opinion is biased. It tastes like hard work and childhood. Scientifically speaking, that milk is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Whole milk from a co-op (cream skimmed off) is the next best, either raw or slow pasteurized. Whole milk from a commercial dairy is the next best. Pasteurization does protect from disease, but our cows were ours and I never got sick drinking my milk raw. The slower you pasteurize milk, the less nutrients and taste you lose.
    Goat's milk or sheep's milk is also realm good for you, full fat and same rules for pasteurization apply.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I usually drink skim milk. I am wondering if it is not as good as regular, full fat milk, because it is a watered down version and our body needs calcium and stuff. I've read that you should drink full fat milk because your body needs the fat and the milk has really good stuff in it, while skim milk tends to have added sugars. Full fat milk is supposed to be more satisfying and I believe you would end up drinking a smaller amount. I am not used to the taste of full fat milk, it always tastes weird to me. It also used to give me a horrendous stomach ache when I was a child. I seem to have outgrown that, as I can have the milkshakes from McDonalds, and I obviously drink tea with milk when I go out or am at other peoples houses.

Then there are cow milk alternatives. Stuff like almond milk, soy milk or goats milk. To my knowledge I have never tasted these. I think they are more expensive. I am not sure whether they would get stored in the fridge or not, if they can be used in all the same ways cow milk can be (in tea, in baking etc) and what the expiration dates are like. Also do they have the same health benefits as regular milk, like calcium? I would need a milk alternative that meets my nutritional needs.

Skim is not watered down, it just has the fat removed. Everything else in milk remains, including the calcium. If you get your fat elsewhere, drink skim. If you aren't reaching your fat macro, go with 1%, 2% or whole milk (4% milkfat). Personally, I drink skim because I prefer the taste.

Can't resist correcting you. Whole milk is 3.25% fats. Dairies skim the cream (which is 4% fat) off and sell it separately, mostly for baking.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    @kimny72 What is a creamer? I don't think they sell those here

I'm still not 100% sure what creamer is. I'm in Australia.
    For taste and macros I prefer cows milk, of which I used to drink a ton. I've recently switched to vanilla almond milk, (not the unsweetened one which tastes like water with teeny hint of almond flavour...) in my tea. It's $3.80 for 1 Litre. The only reason I switched from cow to Almond is because I constantly
    had litlle pimple like bumps on my chin.. A few days of no cows milk and they have completely disappeared.

Just pick the one that fits into your taste and calorie/macro goal.

Creamer - I am not a fan, so this is not going to be objective.
    It's a substitute for cream to use in your coffee, made from vegetable oil and often corn syrup. I believe it was originally developed as a cheap alternative to cream or half-and-half that could be set out in little individual half-ounce sealed plastic containers in diners and restaurants without refrigeration.
    It leaves a nasty oily film on top of your coffee (see what I mean about lack of objectivity :wink: )
    Even the plain kind often has some kind of sweetener in it, and I can't abide anything sweet in my coffee, so that's a no-go.
    In recent decades, flavored creamer has become rampant in the U.S. ("french vanilla," "hazelnut," "Bailey's Irish cream," etc.). I can't really offer an opinion, since as I said, I can't stand anything sweet in my coffee. But I imagine they're all pretty vile :smiley:

Only real Bailey's Irish Cream should be used in coffee. Why anyone would drink the creamer is beyond me.
    I she'd not know this-makes me feel very sad to know
    Tofuli wrote: »

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces

Don't be sad. The cows don't care much and many farms don't artificially inseminate. (My grandparents didn't.) Dairy cows aren't treated nearly as badly as some people would have it believed. They give more milk when well cared for and farmers depend on that milk and those cows for their livelihood.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Heavy cream. I'll take the stuff you scrape off your skim milk ;) Lol
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    tosi1312 wrote: »
    Cow's milk in general is not needed, and skimmed milk is one of the most ridiculous food products out there (I don't mean it in a rude way, most people buy into it because it is so heavily marketed).

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces enough milk to be profitable.

As for the environment all animal products are worse for the planet by a huge extent because it involves inefficient use of energy because we grow plants to feed to animals but get less calories out of such because the animals waste a lot of energy through respiration. This means much larger quantities of plants need to be grown than if we ate the plants directly, and is fuelling huge deforestation to grow crops and to graze cattle (animal agriculture is the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation).

I say skim milk is even worse because to cause all this and then to just get rid of the vast majority of the product and just drink what is basically water filtered through a cow is insane.

Try some plant milks and see what you like. They don't taste like cows milk but you adjust to the taste and its great because it gives you a range of different flavours for different dishes. Soy is best for protein and richness, almond is best for its neutral flavour and low calories. I like soy for protein smoothies and creamy sauces, and I like almond for cereal and for drinking on its own as a refreshing drink. Oat, hemp and rice are all great too.

There's no such thing as plant milks. Milk is liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals.

Its just named milk like we have plant based cheeses/milks etc. Not in a biological sense you're right, but it isn't really important what you call it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone to produce it :smile:

I have no problem with plant-based icecream or cheeses. Even though, I assume, cheese has been for a very long defined as something which is made out of milk, that definition can most certainly change. Milk on the other hand is a substance which comes out of the mammary gland of a mammal & which means one can most certainly not come up with plant milks...It's not of grave grave importance, but nonetheless I think the language we use matters.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Cow's milk in general is not needed, and skimmed milk is one of the most ridiculous food products out there (I don't mean it in a rude way, most people buy into it because it is so heavily marketed).

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces enough milk to be profitable.

As for the environment all animal products are worse for the planet by a huge extent because it involves inefficient use of energy because we grow plants to feed to animals but get less calories out of such because the animals waste a lot of energy through respiration. This means much larger quantities of plants need to be grown than if we ate the plants directly, and is fuelling huge deforestation to grow crops and to graze cattle (animal agriculture is the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation).

I say skim milk is even worse because to cause all this and then to just get rid of the vast majority of the product and just drink what is basically water filtered through a cow is insane.

Try some plant milks and see what you like. They don't taste like cows milk but you adjust to the taste and its great because it gives you a range of different flavours for different dishes. Soy is best for protein and richness, almond is best for its neutral flavour and low calories. I like soy for protein smoothies and creamy sauces, and I like almond for cereal and for drinking on its own as a refreshing drink. Oat, hemp and rice are all great too.

There's no such thing as plant milks. Milk is liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals.

Its just named milk like we have plant based cheeses/milks etc. Not in a biological sense you're right, but it isn't really important what you call it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone to produce it :smile:

I have no problem with plant-based icecream or cheeses. Even though, I assume, cheese has been for a very long defined as something which is made out of milk, that definition can most certainly change. Milk on the other hand is a substance which comes out of the mammary gland of a mammal & which means one can most certainly not come up with plant milks...It's not of grave grave importance, but nonetheless I think the language we use matters.

I agree. Because those watery, nearly calcium-free, non-proteinacious substances don't deserve to be called milk. They don't have anywhere near the nutritional qualities or delicious taste/texture.

My wife started buying almond milk. I tasted it, took one look at the nutritional information, left the half-gallon container in the refrigerator for her, and bought real milk next time we went to the store.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I agree. Because those watery, nearly calcium-free, non-proteinacious substances don't deserve to be called milk. They don't have anywhere near the nutritional qualities or delicious taste/texture.

My wife started buying almond milk. I tasted it, took one look at the nutritional information, left the half-gallon container in the refrigerator for her, and bought real milk next time we went to the store.

So true!!

I have vanilla almond milk in my tea, not the unsweetened one which is vile. It's taken a lot of getting used to.
    Adding it to my tea is as far as I will go though. Cows milk in cereal or a stand alone drink for sure, which is rare occurrence these days anyway.

• coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The best milk is the one you like and fits into your diet plan/needs. I use almond milk simply because of the calorie and carb count being lower, but also use coconut or cashew when I feel like a change...I just adjust to make it work for me. All cow milk is pretty much the same on its most basic level (yeah I know there are some differences), it just has different amounts of fat. The processing and added ingredients vary depending on brand...just read the label and decide what you want.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options

I have started drinking cashew milk. I like it better than dairy milk. I get the unsweetened and put stevia in it. 25 calories per cup!
  • Hemst
    Hemst Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are significant studies that show a strong correlation of cow's milk protein to a host of diseases that kill. Not trying to scare you but read the China Study for starters or do some research.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hemst wrote: »
    There are significant studies that show a strong correlation of cow's milk protein to a host of diseases that kill. Not trying to scare you but read the China Study for starters or do some research.

The china study...haven't heard that in a while. Didn't know people still thought that was credible.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

Yeah, the only reason it's called milk is to make it more appealing. Which sounds better--soy milk, or soy juice?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »

Yeah, the only reason it's called milk is to make it more appealing. Which sounds better--soy milk, or soy juice?

They both sound sad :(
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

milk
    mɪlk/Submit
    noun
    noun: milk
    an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein, secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young.
    "a healthy mother will produce enough milk for her baby"

the milk from cows (or goats or sheep) as consumed by humans.
    "a glass of milk"

the white juice of certain plants.
    "coconut milk"

Sorry, but it IS the right word for it. Coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. These are all proper uses of the word "milk".
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Cows milk obviously is not harmful unless you have an intolerance to it but it's a matter of personal choice. Now vegan, I was raised on silver-top bottled pasteurised cows milk but changed over to semi-skimmed then skimmed in my 20s.

Went veggie in my 30s, continued with the skimmed cows milk, occasionally drank goats milk but then read up on milk production and the use/abuse of animals in food production in general. I decided to go vegan for ethical reasons and also believe increased intake of healthy foods to replace meat/dairy has led to my own general health improving a lot. I now use unsweetened soya and oat drinks; soya's fine in tea, smoothies and for cooking/baking with, the oat drink is creamy-tasting and great in coffee, can be added immediately to boiling water without separating, which soya tends to do. I've often read that oats can help lower cholesterol levels; it's good to know they contribute to maintaining a low level.

Prefer to get fats from other sources, rapeseed and olive oils in particular, also sunflower and sesame oil. May be less protein and calcium in plant-based drinks, 'cheeses' and yoghurts than in cow's milk products but they are also obtained from many other sources in a vegan diet, including broccoli, kale, tofu, nuts, seeds and pulses.

I have noticed vegans are often accused of 'attempting to convert people' when actually just giving their own opinions but they may also mention things that some are clearly uncomfortable about. If you're wondering exactly how your food is produced, do some research on the subject and come to your own conclusions ... read a lot and don't just go to Peta or the Meat/Milk Marketing Board sites; the Vegan Society's site is a good place to start.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

milk
    mɪlk/Submit
    noun
    an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein, secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young.

"a glass of milk"

"coconut milk"

Sorry, but it IS the right word for it. Coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. These are all proper uses of the word "milk".

No, it's not. There is no juice in almonds or cashews or what have you. It is just almonds soaked in water to make the juice.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

milk
    mɪlk/Submit
    noun

"a glass of milk"

"coconut milk"

No, it's not. There is no juice in almonds or cashews or what have you. It is just almonds soaked in water to make the juice.

The term milk still applies to plant milks. Many of these products have existed for centuries and were named because of their appearance.

Regardless, it's a milk. It's not "dairy milk", but it's milk non the less.
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use almond and coconut milk. The calories are lower than skim milk and for me dairy makes me break out and gives me an upset stomach so I find my digestion is better avoiding it. I find coconut milk tastes better in coffee but almond milk is great for smoothies and oatmeal.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hemst wrote: »

Or not. The China study has been soundly debunked by many legitimate researchers as pure junk science.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk. It doesn't have much protein, but it has about 1.5 times as much calcium as cow's milk. It's a little bit richer, but low calorie. But a lot of this depends on availability and price in your area, your goals, and your personal tastes. I still use regular milk for cooking. The almond milk tastes funny in other things (to me, at least).