Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    tosi1312 wrote: »
    Tofuli wrote: »
    Cow's milk in general is not needed, and skimmed milk is one of the most ridiculous food products out there (I don't mean it in a rude way, most people buy into it because it is so heavily marketed).

We do not 'need' anything from cows, cows milk is the product of a cow that has just given birth to a baby and is producing milk to feed its young. It is (in my opinion) the most unethical animal product out there because it involves the artificial insemination (basically rape) of a cow, the slavery of that cow whilst it is milked, then the murder of its baby for veal and then the murder of the dairy cow after a couple of years when it no longer produces enough milk to be profitable.

As for the environment all animal products are worse for the planet by a huge extent because it involves inefficient use of energy because we grow plants to feed to animals but get less calories out of such because the animals waste a lot of energy through respiration. This means much larger quantities of plants need to be grown than if we ate the plants directly, and is fuelling huge deforestation to grow crops and to graze cattle (animal agriculture is the biggest cause of rainforest deforestation).

I say skim milk is even worse because to cause all this and then to just get rid of the vast majority of the product and just drink what is basically water filtered through a cow is insane.

Try some plant milks and see what you like. They don't taste like cows milk but you adjust to the taste and its great because it gives you a range of different flavours for different dishes. Soy is best for protein and richness, almond is best for its neutral flavour and low calories. I like soy for protein smoothies and creamy sauces, and I like almond for cereal and for drinking on its own as a refreshing drink. Oat, hemp and rice are all great too.

There's no such thing as plant milks. Milk is liquid produced by the mammary glands of mammals.

Yeah, the only reason it's called milk is to make it more appealing. Which sounds better--soy milk, or soy juice?
    milk
    mɪlk/Submit
    noun
    noun: milk
    an opaque white fluid rich in fat and protein, secreted by female mammals for the nourishment of their young.
    "a healthy mother will produce enough milk for her baby"

the milk from cows (or goats or sheep) as consumed by humans.
    "a glass of milk"

the white juice of certain plants.
    "coconut milk"

Sorry, but it IS the right word for it. Coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk, etc. These are all proper uses of the word "milk".

No, it's not. There is no juice in almonds or cashews or what have you. It is just almonds soaked in water to make the juice.

The term milk still applies to plant milks. Many of these products have existed for centuries and were named because of their appearance.

Regardless, it's a milk. It's not "dairy milk", but it's milk non the less.

Yes, for marketing terms, it's milk. By the definition you posted, it is not.
  • chardhead
    chardhead Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to mention that cow milk is actually not safe or good for human consumption. Dairy has been linked to promoting numerous cancers(prostate&breast), osteoporosis, premature puberty etc. plus pus cells. There are a lot of things wrong with dairy but health wise, it ain't lookin good mate. http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    chardhead wrote: »
    I would like to mention that cow milk is actually not safe or good for human consumption. Dairy has been linked to promoting numerous cancers(prostate&breast), osteoporosis, premature puberty etc. plus pus cells. There are a lot of things wrong with dairy but health wise, it ain't lookin good mate. http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/dairy/

From a vegan propaganda website full of fearmongering about basically everything except vegan diets. Imagine that.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I made a table to compare.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAzjWFHRPPZNJNm_rfNZqfUbLyMm-obA-aadT7kydk/htmlview#gid=0

In summary the milk replacements generally have more calcium and the yogurts higher in protein.
  • tmoser512
    tmoser512 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just visited with a dietitian yesterday. She recommended 1% milk to reduce the calories. She said whole milk is fine if it fits my calories and I didn't want to do 1% but to not do skim milk.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Which ever one works for you. For me it's soy milk. Cow's milk gives me digestive problems, and I'm allergic to almond.

Haha, actually I had never had almond before I heard so much about it around here and decided to give a try. Lesson learned.

It is kind of sad that they take calves from their mothers so we can use their milk, but they are animals, animals that exist solely to be used by us. So, that's more of a personal outlook. I still drink it for a protein boost on occasion if I don't have anything else.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    It is kind of sad that they take calves from their mothers so we can use their milk, but they are animals, animals that exist solely to be used by us.

Yes it is a sad fact that male calves are only given a very short life, all taken from their mothers, a few raised for veal but the vast majority are destroyed.

Thankfully living in first world countries we don't have to support the horrible practices involved in animal farming, plenty of alternatives out there for anyone with a shred of empathy for these creatures and who cares enough to do something about it.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    When I add milk to tea or coffee, it's 1.5% because I prefer the taste when I occasionally drink plain milk, so I never buy full fat. At work it's full fat because I can't be bothered to bring my own. When I make overnight oats I like almond or soy milk. Basically I'm OK with anything.
  • Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is kind of sad that they take calves from their mothers so we can use their milk, but they are animals, animals that exist solely to be used by us.

Yes it is a sad fact that male calves are only given a very short life, all taken from their mothers, a few raised for veal but the vast majority are destroyed.

Thankfully living in first world countries we don't have to support the horrible practices involved in animal farming, plenty of alternatives out there for anyone with a shred of empathy for these creatures and who cares enough to do something about it.

Its terribly sad. And if those in developed countries didn't drive the demand for animal products there would be enough plant based foods to feed the entire world too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Which ever one works for you. For me it's soy milk. Cow's milk gives me digestive problems, and I'm allergic to almond.

Haha, actually I had never had almond before I heard so much about it around here and decided to give a try. Lesson learned.

It is kind of sad that they take calves from their mothers so we can use their milk, but they are animals, animals that exist solely to be used by us. So, that's more of a personal outlook. I still drink it for a protein boost on occasion if I don't have anything else.

*crinngeee*

Human ego at it's finest.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

No. The vast majority are raised for beef.

http://www.thisisdairyfarming.com/discover/dairy-farming-facts/what-happens-to-male-calves/
  • tomw86
    tomw86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well as an ex-dairy industry individual it saddens me to hear some of the misconceptions that people still have regarding where and how their Milk is produced. In the UK at least the dairy processor I worked for would not buy Milk from farms that kept their herds in anything other than perfect conditions. The raw Milk was tested on arrival for butterfat content, antibiotics and bacterial load. Any trace of antibiotic and the tanker load was incinerated - no exceptions. A bacterial load that indicated sick cattle - the farm was removed from the supplier listing and animal welfare informed. Butterfats out of wack - tanker refused and farm investigated for adulteration.

We were very very careful in how we worked. Not a drop of milk was wasted, if it didn't get bottled then it was sold on for cheese production, milk powder, whey protein extraction or as pig feed.

And as an aside - what you buy as 'whole' Milk on a British supermarket shelf is nowhere near as high in fat as when it came out of the cow. Pure Milk is 13 to 17% fat (depending on breed of cattle) and the excess is skimmed off to give a specification 3.5% for shelf ready whole milk, 1.5% for semi-skimmed and 0.1 to 0.9% for skimmed (Lord knows why anyone would drink that flavourless muck though)

Just my experiences though - don't let it get in the way of the 'big dairy is evilzz' campaign ;)
  • TrickyDisco
    Options

No. The vast majority are raised for beef.

http://www.thisisdairyfarming.com/discover/dairy-farming-facts/what-happens-to-male-calves/

Pro-dairy farming website propaganda ... notice it says calves are used 'if suitable', also 'official estimates indicate' (they will of course arrive at very high estimates), and it sums up (has to admit the truth eventually) 'where no other viable options exist, very regrettably (I'm sure they regret not being able to use them to generate more profit), farmers have no choice but to cull their bull calves'. The majority of dairy cows in the UK are Friesians, bred primarily for maximum milk yield - compared to other breeds of cattle they are the equivalent of a walking bag of bones with an enormous udder. They are unsuitable for meat production because of this, do not develop a physique similar to 'meat' cattle.

I have read your pro-dairy link, now here's some facts from the Vegan Society website:

Cows could live to well over 20 years of age. On dairy farms they are usually shot between 3-4 years, cows bred for meat are killed sooner. Dairy cows suffer stress from separation from their calves (as do the calves); mastitis (udder infections) and lameness are commonplace. Mastitis is so common that milk is given a 'pus count' - this is the amount of somatic (pus) cells which are legally allowed in each litre of milk.

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    chardhead wrote: »

"Pus cells" are just white blood cells, and yes, cow's milk may have some. Human breast milk also contains them. The beef, chicken, and fish you eat may also contain some. So what?

• TrickyDisco
    Options
    tomw86 wrote: »
    ... skimmed (Lord knows why anyone would drink that flavourless muck though)

Just my experiences though - don't let it get in the way of the 'big dairy is evilzz' campaign ;)

Many drink skimmed milk because they want to reduce the amount of fat in their diet and it's an easy way to lower fat consumption. I'm surprised an 'ex dairy industry individual' has such a low opinion of a product they happily provided to the general public; just your personal preference, I suppose. And what is the 'big dairy is evilzz' campaign? Looks like a rather pathetic attempt to belittle those with concerns over the way cattle are treated on dairy farms.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Tofuli wrote: »

Its terribly sad. And if those in developed countries didn't drive the demand for animal products there would be enough plant based foods to feed the entire world too.

Another myth propagated by PETA. Not all land is best suited to vegetable growing. A good part of our planet is grassland perfectly suited to ruminants. Then there are the great Boreal forests.....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    so who are we to believe. .. The anti dairy peta propaganda or the pro dairy propaganda? :huh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    so who are we to believe. .. The anti dairy peta propaganda or the pro dairy propaganda? :huh:

Here's something more measured (although there are certainly parts of it that people will take issue with): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/my-milk-manifesto_b_6786048.html
  • TrickyDisco
    Options

I think we have to make our own minds up ... but from my experience anyone who genuinely has concerns about animal welfare/food quality makes time to research the subject a bit more than having a quick peek at the PETA site. Many people don't bother, maybe they prefer to keep their heads in the sand about the sad subject of animal abuse in food production, their preference for meat/dairy is all that concerns them. There are plenty of videos on Youtube and documentaries on Netflix to prove the conditions in which animals are forced to live out their short lives and meet their end. There are also plenty of videos on eating well and healthily on a meat-free and/or dairy-free diet. As well as the ones on preparing meat and dairy dishes, of course.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In that we can often research the specific sources of the foods we buy, I see no reason why watching a bunch of YouTubes whose source is often questionable would be a particularly good way to go.

I do think reading non biased sources about factory farming practices and making choices based on real information is a good call.