Silly things I do to hit 10,000 steps a day

Options

Replies

• klnice35
    klnice35 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kitchen dance parties while I cook dinner!
  • clary3
    clary3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also walk up and down the stairs at work. So if I have to use the bathroom/get water or ice, I go downstairs. I also move around in the kitchen while cooking. The kids laugh at me, and most of the time they'll join in. Make it fun and do what works for you. :) There's no right way of getting your steps in. Get whatever you can in and give yourself a pat on the back for getting it done.

When I go to the gym, I make sure to incorporate cardio (treadmill- Jog/Run) before and after weight lifting.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I forgot about doing step-ups at the bowling alley during league. I wanted to get my 10,000 in, and so between my turns I was doing step-ups on the three steps between the bowling area and the tables. I was getting lots of weird looks and questions that night! LOL

This one is awesome! I cant wait to get home tonight to share these with my wife!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My husband used to laugh at me...until he got a Fitbit. ;)
  • SmurfBunny1027
    SmurfBunny1027 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I regularly jog/walk in place in my living room while watching TV with the hubby. I asked him one day if he thought I was crazy. He said "Nope, you're just motivated."

I love him so much. :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i walk around the house while brushing my teeth.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Yup, you don't truly understand until you get a Fitbit (or other tracker) :smiley:
  • sdbernier
    Options
    I regularly jog/walk in place in my living room while watching TV with the hubby. I asked him one day if he thought I was crazy. He said "Nope, you're just motivated."

I love him so much. :)

That's so sweet!! :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Good thread! Thanks for the ideas! I'm a SAHM that homeschools so it is hard to get all of my steps in unless I can get out and get a walk in everyday. Somedays I can, somedays I can't. But we live on an acre so I will start walking around it after school and at night if I have to! Great ideas, folks. Thanks.
  • LouLouStBijou
    LouLouStBijou Posts: 987 Member
    Options

My personal goal is 17500 steps per day and I don't let myself go to bed until I get there but I prefer to be above 20k. My husband thinks I am a lunatic but less so now that he has one.

I once went out for a walk at 10 pm so that I could beat someone in a daily steps challenge. I have walked laps around my kitchen island and my family room at 11:30 pm. During the day I take the long way everywhere and I walk to and from my parking spot at my husband's office and I take a long walk at lunch.
  • zezelryck
    zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've heard some of you afix your fitbit to your dogs when out are walking then let them off the leash lol (I of course don't have a dog) ;)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I use the restroom in a different building than the one where I work. This gives me 1,300 steps each time I have to pee during the work day. :smiley: I do that partly for my 10,000 goal, but mostly because my job would be 100% sedentary if I didn't. The restroom closest to me is just 15 steps away and I have a computer/desk job.

If I don't get my steps in by dinner time, I'll also do jogging or calisthenics in the evening while watching TV.
  • crpoll5
    crpoll5 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I go to the mall on my lunch break and walk with all the old people. It makes me feel like an Olympic athlete every time I pass one of them!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I've heard some of you afix your fitbit to your dogs when out are walking then let them off the leash lol (I of course don't have a dog) ;)

No, we throw them in the dryer on air-dry, or put them on a paint-shaker machine.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I will walk to the grocery store that is 1.5km away so I get lots of steps, of course it's no fun when I'm walking home with the groceries. I also skate but skating doesn't really register so I will "jog" on the ice to get more steps
  • sdbernier
    Options
    crpoll5 wrote: »
    I go to the mall on my lunch break and walk with all the old people. It makes me feel like an Olympic athlete every time I pass one of them!

That's funny! I am still chuckling at that!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have been known to march/jog/step-touch in front of the TV to get to my goal.
  • drdwngfan
    drdwngfan Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I no longer take the elevator at work. I did 15K steps yesterday and I am so sore but it made me realize just how sluggish I was at work everyday. Love my fitbit now.
  • sdbernier
    Options
    drdwngfan wrote: »
    I no longer take the elevator at work. I did 15K steps yesterday and I am so sore but it made me realize just how sluggish I was at work everyday. Love my fitbit now.

Awesome!!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting a workout compared to jogging for a minute on the spot or quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day

Are you trying to say that it's better to do one long workout with lots of steps than it is to be active in many shorter segments throughout the day?

Longer workouts tha gets your heartrate up are better for improving your cardio health. But being active in small increments throughout the day burns more calories and is important for overall health, too. Both modes of getting steps are beneficial - just for different reasons. Ideally, people do focused workouts *and* become more active in small ways throughout the day.

Current research is showing that a 30-60 minute workout isn't enough to offset the 'damage' of having a sedentary life overall: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/20/sedentary-life-exercise_n_6503300.html