Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    He sells detox kits. That should be an immediate red flag that the guy is a quack.

He doesn't sell Detox Kits... he has recipes for whole food smoothies... BIG DIFFERENCE.

lolololol. Did you click on his STORE?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP.....

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

When you say "long run," what do you mean? Do you mean that if one counts calories to lose weight, they're less likely to maintain weight loss than someone who follows a different strategy?

If so, what strategy do you recommend instead of counting calories?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

Most people advocate for diets rich in whole food nutrition...because it's good for you...CICO isn't the same as nutrition which is what a lot of you people don't seem to get.

Most of my diet is whole foods and meals prepared from whole food ingredients...I don't eat much in the way of junk...I'm an athlete and I like to fuel my body with premium fuel...but guess what...I can still gain weight eating the way I do (because I have)...because math...because CICO...this is what most of you types don't seem to get. CICO is just the math...it has nothing to do with nutrition...I have no clue why so many people have such a difficult time with this concept...it's like the logic center of the brain is turned off or something.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

You can lose all the weight you want eating the most low quality food available as long as you are eating fewer calories than you burn. I doubt any of the knowledgeable people here would debate that.

Nutrition is a different story altogether. People seem to get these confused.

calories ≠ nutrition
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone on MFP who doesn't think a diet of mostly nutritious foods is important.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

You mean they don't want to see it from...reality's perspective? Is that what you're saying there?
  • yourhiddengem
    yourhiddengem Posts: 171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I primarily did it on ice cream and bread *sigh* Oh college life. However I felt like crap after a few months of that lol
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

Seriously? I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP because it's what works.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

In my experience, CICO was the best place for me to start. I had a lot of bad habits to break and the thought of completely overhauling my lifestyle all at once was too daunting. A few months of eating the foods I wanted, just less of them, and seeing results gave me the encouragement I needed to then pursue healthier eating and make more healthy choices. CICO was the foundation I needed to get me to a place where I could start slowly overhauling my life.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

I have yet to see one person on this site advocate eating nothing but candy, chips and soda. But people like Hyman and Oz are selling snake oil, nothing more, and there's absolutely no reason why you can't have some candy, chips or soda in moderation and still lose weight and be healthy.

CICO isn't a fad diet, it's grounded in science and math which makes it fact, not opinion or faith, and is the only method that is guaranteed to work. And it's free. And you don't need a guest spot on Dr. Oz to hawk it.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The same Dr Hyman that supported the withdrawn paper on the link between vaccine and autism?
    Discredited.

And that's enough for me to add him to my 'wouldn't touch with a ten-foot bargepole' list.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    GROAN. CICO is KING. You can eat 30 apples a day and gain weight even though they are healthy. You can eat 1000 calories of ice cream every day and lose weight even thought it's not a healthy choice. Nutrition is another issue entirely but CICO is undisputed.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Calories In and Calories Out is by far the most important element to weight loss and weight management in general...nutrition is another matter entirely....

Oh...and as an aside...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTca6DNhDWCn8XFQsSLfX4hyLcz_UTRzRI-GtbcftM8_KWmkFVSrw

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO for reals, huh?
  • mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    calories ≠ nutrition
    YES!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

Seriously? I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP because it's what works.

And, weirdly enough, it's possible to understand that weight loss is a function of CICO, implement that strategy, and *also* meet one's nutritional needs.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    brekober wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »

And, weirdly enough, it's possible to understand that weight loss is a function of CICO, implement that strategy, and *also* meet one's nutritional needs.

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what eating a high quality diet has to do with CICO?

I've yet to see someone on here saying that long term eating for health and function is best done on a low quality diet. CICO is an equation for weight loss - it doesn't, by itself, address satiety, long-term adherence or mental/physical condition. Working on those doesn't negate CICO.
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    brekober wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    and everyone just falls into the same old trap...then rehash the same thing over and over and over.