Silly things I do to hit 10,000 steps a day

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My husband came home from work to find me running up and down the stairs because I wanted to get a new personal best for floors climbed. Yes, he's convinced I'm totally nuts.
  • Chocmom
    Chocmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options

"If I'm close to a good round number at bedtime, I will jog in place until I get there.[/quote]

Once I was so close but I was also wanting to get into bed and finally said, "aw forget it". Laid down and my Fitbit started going crazy! When my head it the pillow, I was at 10001 steps for the day!! Hoorah

• Chocmom
    Chocmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been going to the mall at 7 am to get a head start on my steps for the day! Two laps is about 5K.
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dance with toddler, march while reading my kindle (i prop it on the table) anything to get my steps in. When watching the american football I would march/step for a quarter - that was a great way to get steps and activity minutes up as I didn't stop when the clock stopped I just kept going. I seemed to always pick the longest quarter too lol!
  • IATeacher
    IATeacher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I deliberately walk the long way through the halls of the school where I work. That seems to help me get an extra 3K each day. Lately I have taken to walking to work as well since I do not live that far away.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I've heard some of you afix your fitbit to your dogs when out are walking then let them off the leash lol (I of course don't have a dog) ;)

Haha I was going to jokingly say I do something like that, but the truth is that I don't even have a dog. :smile:
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    When I was on a road trip with my mom, I jogged around all the fast food restaurant parking lots to get my steps up. I have a really steep driveway, and I have walked up and down it to get to 25 flights of steps.

I do all the more normal things, like get up to do more housework, take the long way around, make more trips, walk/jog around the house, jog in place, dance to music.

At dance, I sometimes add steps to the routines that are more upper body based just to get my step number up.

When I do interval jog/walks, I don't let myself turn around until I've hit some magic step number (usually 3000). If I don't get at least 6000 steps on my intervals, I'm afraid I'll have to do silly things to hit my 10k.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I've heard some of you afix your fitbit to your dogs when out are walking then let them off the leash lol (I of course don't have a dog) ;)

This guy put his on his cat. (And it did a heck of a lot more steps than my lazy old moggy would do).

http://sipping.coffee/2014/10/29/cat-fitbit-fitness-tracking/
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I work in a very large office / manufacturing building. If I do a "perimeter walk" its over 3000 steps according to my Garmin. I try and get 2 or 3 walks in a day, then end up in the gym 5 days a week. I have no problems getting to 10000 steps per day.
  • Ilovebaileys
    Ilovebaileys Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a charge HR, I asked for bluetooth earphones as a birthday gift so that I can march freely around the house or on the spot whilst on the telephone, so that I don't loose steps because my left hand is holding the phone ( I'm on the phone a lot).
    I also march on the spot in a corner of the room whilst watching family movies, so as not to disturb the family too much. (They think I've lost the plot).
    All of a sudden I have become a great wife and mother as I'm always offering to go up or downstairs to get forgotten items. I also jog around my kitchen island. I will do anything to get to a good round number by midnight (including going to bed far too late), motivated by the fact that I once reached 14,996! I was very upset, as I realised that I had spent the hour before midnight watching rubbish on tv and not paying attention to my numbers :neutral:
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I work in a very large office / manufacturing building. If I do a "perimeter walk" its over 3000 steps according to my Garmin. I try and get 2 or 3 walks in a day, then end up in the gym 5 days a week. I have no problems getting to 10000 steps per day.

I used to work in a manufacturing plant and always hit my steps, but now I work in a small office so I have to come up with more creative ways.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Glory be, I have found my people!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    size102b wrote: »
    Think the idea of 10,000 a day is more big chunks of steps as in a long walk etc as your getting a workout compared to jogging for a minute on the spot or quick walk to your rooms
    Getting slightly out of breath is better than 1000 x small 100 step walks a day

Are you trying to say that it's better to do one long workout with lots of steps than it is to be active in many shorter segments throughout the day?

Longer workouts that gets your heartrate up are better for improving your cardio health. But being active in small increments throughout the day burns more calories and is important for overall health, too. Both modes of getting steps are beneficial - just for different reasons. Ideally, people do focused workouts *and* become more active in small ways throughout the day.

Current research is showing that a 30-60 minute workout isn't enough to offset the 'damage' of having a sedentary life overall: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/20/sedentary-life-exercise_n_6503300.html

Thanks, you beat me to it. I walk/hike for about an hour at lunch but also make a point of interacting with gravity throughout the rest of my desk-job day.

• RobertM2040
    RobertM2040 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I replaced my chair with a stool at work. I often move my workstation to a counter and stand as well.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    My husband came home from work to find me running up and down the stairs because I wanted to get a new personal best for floors climbed. Yes, he's convinced I'm totally nuts.

^^I do this all the time too, but my husband works afternoons so he never catches me doing it.

I have walked laps around the house to get more steps too.

My favorite thing to do though is to walk in the woods. We have 10 acres and some really steep hills that give me the equivalent of anywhere between 3-5 staircases depending on the hill. An hour walk gives me 5000 steps.

• silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm on the phone, I walk. I also walk around my bedroom/bathroom when I brush my teeth.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I had one day when I was brushing my teeth that night and as I took the fitbit off, I saw that I was 800 steps short of 25,000. I took my toothbrush, found my shoes and went out for a walk. I had to do it. I don't use my fitbit anymore, but it sure made me realize how inactive I was.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Instead of sitting in front of the TV I'll walk in place and do squats.