Please help with my sugar addiction!!

Options
My name is Serena and I'm addicted to sugar. I've lost the weight, I've adjusted my diet and exercise 3-5 times a week. My problem is sugar. I think I'm part hummingbird. Please share your favorite "goodie" recipes with me. I was loving chocolate avocado "pudding", and ricotta cheese " pudding", but it just isn't doing the trick anymore.
Thanks in advance!
P.S.
I'm always in the market for new "pals". :-)

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, are you trying to defeat the addiction or feed it with a sweet/ low cal alternatives?
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup natural peanut butter, no sugar added
    1/2 cup sugar or sweetener of choice
    1 teaspoon molasses
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder (aluminum free)
    1 1/2 cups almond flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1- preheat oven to 375° F
    2- mix together peanut butter, sugar, molasses, cream, almonds, baking powder, almond flour, salt and vanilla
    3- spoon onto a greased cookie sheet to make 20 cookies
    4- bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set
    5- let cool until cookies stiffen enough to handle
    Per Serving (1 cookie)
    7g carbohydrates
    1g fiber
    4g protein

Taste is great, even the kids love them. Not the lowest calorie/sugar thing I have ever eaten, but deals with the PB cookie craving when it happens.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    First realize that it's not an addiction. Second, sugar isn't bad if you're not over consuming it. If you are, then you need to learn how to discipline yourself to consume a fixed amount.
    If you can discipline yourself to eat less and go to the gym consistently, then the same applies to moderation.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If it's sugar you really want, try fruit.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    First realize that it's not an addiction. Second, sugar isn't bad if you're not over consuming it. If you are, then you need to learn how to discipline yourself to consume a fixed amount.
    If you can discipline yourself to eat less and go to the gym consistently, then the same applies to moderation.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This
  • luizaxxi
    luizaxxi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    try strawberries and also quark yogurt red velvet flavor
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There IS such a thing as sugar addiction. Actually, it's quite common and a big driver of obesity and adult onset diabetes.

I'm not suggesting the original poster suffers from it--maybe, maybe not--but sugar has addictive qualities that are extremely difficult to overcome for those legitimately addicted.

My vote for best solution presented so far is Scamd83's: fruit is the healthiest way to satisfy sugar/sweet cravings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sugar flowers suitable for the sweetest hummingbird.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqnDDtcv2g
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake:

Congratulations, you've demonstrated doped up rats may exhibit similar signs as addiction to sugar when they are offered the choice of sugary water or nothing.

See the nutrition debate forum to discuss the concept of "sugar addiction" in humans (hint: it doesn't exist).

To the OP: I find that if I allow myself a small "treat" daily (a couple Oreos or a serving of good ice cream) of a food commonly thought to contain a lot of sugar (although most of them contain an equal amount of, if not more fat) I don't have cravings where I need to binge eat a lot of excess sugar calories.
  • BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, are you trying to defeat the addiction or feed it with a sweet/ low cal alternatives?

Yeah, I'm confused... Do you want to reduce your sugar intake or do you want healthier sweets?
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like fruit smoothies as well as tangerines.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    If it's sugar you really want, try fruit.

So, different sugar? How does that help?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I can't help you. I just polished off three fresh-baked tollhouse cookies and I may eat another half-dozen before bed.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    My name is Serena and I'm addicted to sugar. I've lost the weight, I've adjusted my diet and exercise 3-5 times a week. My problem is sugar. I think I'm part hummingbird. Please share your favorite "goodie" recipes with me. I was loving chocolate avocado "pudding", and ricotta cheese " pudding", but it just isn't doing the trick anymore.
    Thanks in advance!
    P.S.
    I'm always in the market for new "pals". :-)

No, you're not. You just like it a lot.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Congratulations, you've demonstrated doped up rats may exhibit similar signs as addiction to sugar when they are offered the choice of sugary water or nothing.

See the nutrition debate forum to discuss the concept of "sugar addiction" in humans (hint: it doesn't exist).

To the OP: I find that if I allow myself a small "treat" daily (a couple Oreos or a serving of good ice cream) of a food commonly thought to contain a lot of sugar (although most of them contain an equal amount of, if not more fat) I don't have cravings where I need to binge eat a lot of excess sugar calories.

I didn't demonstrate anything, just posted an article I thought might be worth checking into due to it's description of addiction and the subsequent breakdown of the stages thereof, no need to be so condescending.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Don't buy sugary foods when you go to the market as a first step. If it's not in your house, it's much easier to resist. For a sweet treat, eat fruit or dark chocolate. Good dark chocolate (at least 65% cacao) is low in sugar and full of antioxidants. It may seem bitter at first but, if you stay away from foods with high (refined) sugar content for awhile, you will begin to savor dark chocolate and really enjoy the sweetness of fruit.

It's OK to have a sweet treat from time to time unless you find you lose all control once you have something sugary. Then it might be better to stay clear of refined sugar. The nice thing about logging your food is that it builds awareness that helps you recognize your weaknesses and make these kinds of choices in you diet.

Lots of cited articles about sugar here (just put 'sugar' in the search bar at top):
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Lot's of cited articles about sugar here (just put 'sugar' in the seaech bar at top):
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/
    I wouldn't cite this as great information.
    ANY carb we eat gets converted to sugar before absorption. So eating fruit must cause cancer and liver issues since it's inundated with fructose.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I didn't demonstrate anything, just posted an article I thought might be worth checking into due to it's description of addiction and the subsequent breakdown of the stages thereof, no need to be so condescending.

It's a weakly designed article that is posted time and time again in the forums, and I'm quite sure many regular posters in the forum are sick of seeing it used as evidence for a popular term that to date hasn't been scientifically proven. In the end, the study has horrible design flaws that gives the researchers the result they want to see:

1 - the rats are starved before the experiment. If you were starved for a period of time to induce hunger, and had a chocolate biscuit and a carrot put in front of you, which would the majority of people eat first?

2 - The rats aren't deprived of water during the fast. If they were deprived of food and water, then given the two options of water or straight sugar (not sugar water), if it was an addiction the sugar would always be eaten first, no matter how thirsty they were.

3 - If you learn you're going to be starved on a regular basis (just like the rats were), and the sugar water is the first thing you're given after each starvation period is over, of course you're going to be conditioned to always take it first over other options. The controls in the trial are horrible.

So as not to take the thread further off topic, I suggest anyone wanting to discuss the nature of sugar addiction head on down to the nutritional debate section of the forum. That's what it's there for.

OP, if you like sweet things a lot, knock yourself out and have something sweet, rather than a substitute to try and 'trick' yourself. If you've lost the weight and are maintaining successfully, unless you're diabetic I don't see why you should have to find alternatives.